Old 22-04-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild Garlic

Hello All,

We have quite a lot of wild garlic near us.

Can any of you tell me what it is good for and what ways there are of
collecting and preparing it ?

Best wishes,

John N.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________

Old 23-04-2007, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.uk...

From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
\_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_ / 'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

Ramsons (Wild Garlic). The bubs, leaves and flowers all taste of Garlic but
it is the leaves that are predominantly used as a garnish in
salads/sandwiches
The bulbs are a bit insipid once cooked. Definitely best when the leaves are
very young and tender (now).

Old 23-04-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
\_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_ / 'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

Ramsons (Wild Garlic). The bubs, leaves and flowers all taste of Garlic but
it is the leaves that are predominantly used as a garnish in
salads/sandwiches
The bulbs are a bit insipid once cooked. Definitely best when the leaves are
very young and tender (now).

Be aware that it is illegal to dig up wild flowers, so using the bulbs
could be very expensive if caught.
Old 23-04-2007, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
\_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_ / 'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

Ramsons (Wild Garlic). The bubs, leaves and flowers all taste of Garlic
but it is the leaves that are predominantly used as a garnish in
salads/sandwiches
The bulbs are a bit insipid once cooked. Definitely best when the leaves
are very young and tender (now).

Be aware that it is illegal to dig up wild flowers, so using the bulbs
could be very expensive if caught.

I dig them up by the ton-in my own garden:-) Anyone local is welcome to come
and harvest them. There really is a limit to how much bloomin wild garlic
anyone needs in their garden.
I can not think of any other plant that is so prolific in seeding and
colonising entire areas in just a few seasons.

Old 23-04-2007, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to John Nolan :

Hello All,

We have quite a lot of wild garlic near us.

Can any of you tell me what it is good for and what ways there are of
collecting and preparing it ?

Soup.
SWMBO's family love it. Unfortunately.

Chopped up fins as a sandwich spread/dip with sour cream or cream cheese.

--
Tim C.

Old 23-04-2007, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Martin :

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:49:24 +0200, Tim C. wrote:

Following up to John Nolan :

Hello All,

We have quite a lot of wild garlic near us.

Can any of you tell me what it is good for and what ways there are of
collecting and preparing it ?

Soup.
SWMBO's family love it. Unfortunately.

Chopped up fins as a sandwich spread/dip with sour cream or cream cheese.

Shark fins?

lol. Dammed spell chequers.

"chopped up fine"
--
Tim C.
Old 23-04-2007, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Broadback
wrote:
The bulbs are a bit insipid once cooked. Definitely best when the leaves

are
very young and tender (now).

Be aware that it is illegal to dig up wild flowers, so using the bulbs
could be very expensive if caught.

Well, from all your comments, it seems that the bulbs are not the best part,
so i will not collect any of them.

But, I did chew on a stalk, and that tasted pretty good.

So, thank you for all your comments. i'll go and gather a few.

John N.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________

Old 23-04-2007, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:29:08 +0200, Tim C. wrote:

Following up to Martin :

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:49:24 +0200, Tim C. wrote:

Following up to John Nolan :

Hello All,

We have quite a lot of wild garlic near us.

Can any of you tell me what it is good for and what ways there are of
collecting and preparing it ?

Soup.
SWMBO's family love it. Unfortunately.

Chopped up fins as a sandwich spread/dip with sour cream or cream
cheese.

Shark fins?

lol. Dammed spell chequers.

"chopped up fine"

It's the usenet company you keep. :-)
--

Martin

I have recently come across two distinctly different wild plants in North
Yorkshire smelling/tasting garlicky - one I think is proper Ransomes with
broad, thin, shiny leaves. The other had narrower, slightly fleshy leaves
and was putting up flower-heads a bit like a leek but much smaller. Any idea
what it was? Edible or not? (I tasted it and lived).

Duncan

Old 24-04-2007, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"John Nolan" wrote in message
.uk...
Hello All,

We have quite a lot of wild garlic near us.

Can any of you tell me what it is good for and what ways there are of
collecting and preparing it ?

Best wishes,

John N.

Ramsons (Wild Garlic). The bubs, leaves and flowers all taste of Garlic
but it is the leaves that are predominantly used as a garnish in
salads/sandwiches
The bulbs are a bit insipid once cooked. Definitely best when the leaves
are very young and tender (now).

Hi Rupert!
That bag full you kindly sent last year through the post to me in Kent was
duly planted and wilted!

During the weekend SWMBO was weeding around the end of the garden and lo &
behold there it is full bloom and thriving next to the compost bin!

Excellent flavour, pretty flowers and resurrected itself very well.

Thanks for sending it...

Old 24-04-2007, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Nolan" wrote in message
[...]

This time next year you may well be cursing me for that invasive weed:-)
Glad it has worked out (for now)

Old 24-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback View Post
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:Be aware that it is illegal to dig up wild flowers, so using the bulbs could be very expensive if caught.
This is a common confusion and is not true. What is illegal is to dig them up in order to sell them. To dig up a reasonable quantity for personal use, provided they are not a specifically protected species, or belong to someone else, is perfectly legal. The woman from the New Forest who got prosecuted for picking wild mushrooms last year was done because she was selling them, but even then she managed to find a loophole that allowed her to continue. Of course you may not agree that this is how it should be, but that is something else.
Old 24-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Registered User

A variation from the other replies to this. Try chopping a few handfuls of leaves (and flowers if you like), not too fine, and wilt them in a bit of butter. Then add the lot to a pan of boiled new potatoes.

You can also use them like spinach eg wilt and chop fine, mix with ricotta, and use it to stuff pasta.

Or wrap fish in it and bake in the oven.

(We can do all these, because there's about 200 acres of it outside the back door!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nolan View Post

From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________
Old 25-04-2007, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"John Nolan" wrote in message
.uk...
Hello All,

We have quite a lot of wild garlic near us.

Ramsons (Wild Garlic). The bubs, leaves and flowers all taste of Garlic
but it is the leaves that are predominantly used as a garnish in
salads/sandwiches
The bulbs are a bit insipid once cooked. Definitely best when the leaves
are very young and tender (now).

Be aware that it is illegal to dig up wild flowers, so using the bulbs
could be very expensive if caught.

Whoops, I dug up loads of the stuff when I cleared one corner of the garden.
We seem to have two sorts that grow like weeds here, I do enjoy the smell
when I mow them.

Mike

Old 25-04-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"John Nolan" wrote in message
.uk...
Hello All,

We have quite a lot of wild garlic near us.

Ramsons (Wild Garlic). The bubs, leaves and flowers all taste of Garlic
but it is the leaves that are predominantly used as a garnish in
salads/sandwiches
The bulbs are a bit insipid once cooked. Definitely best when the leaves
are very young and tender (now).

Be aware that it is illegal to dig up wild flowers, so using the bulbs
could be very expensive if caught.

Whoops, I dug up loads of the stuff when I cleared one corner of the
garden. We seem to have two sorts that grow like weeds here, I do enjoy
the smell when I mow them.

The three corner stem ones are not native (triangular stems; bright white
flowers) and pretty invasive. I am sure they are fair game.
The native ones have wide leaves and only grow in shade and are much more
delicate looking. It is an interesting point. Are you alowed to "weed"
weeds in your own garden if the plant is technically protected elsewhere?

Mike

Old 25-04-2007, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"John Nolan" wrote in message
[...]

I think it's a case of keeping things in proportion: if a rare orchid
springs up in your private field, as happened to one cricket club, you
have to protect it, and would presumably want to. Otherwise, Old Mother
Common Sense rules: gardening is gardening, and weeding isn't illegal.

--
Mike.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Wild Garlic Jon United Kingdom 102 13-05-2003 09:56 PM
Wild Garlic and back to bluebells non-scripta Hussein M. United Kingdom 2 09-05-2003 06:46 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM