Old 23-05-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coverage of Chelsea

In article , Sacha
writes
What did everyone think of last night's tv programme? As always, we became
very irritated with the number of plants whose name didn't appear onscreen,
though that improved when Carol Klein was in the marquee. But why oh why do
they, every year, take us away from Chelsea and off to other locations?
Chelsea is Chelsea.

The off-Chelsea interviewer irritates me, he seems to be there just for
'media' interest' and always has a rather silly inane script, asking
damn fool questions and being seen to do 'media' things which they
probably think interest 'average' viewers.
Get a gardener to visit these nurseries etc,

I think he's an excellent presenter but I did not welcome
the mercifully brief appearance of Diarmuid Gavin. I don't like his style,

I don't like anything about him! He seems to be an inverted gardening
snob, pushing hard landscaping against real flowers any day Fair do's if
people want an outside room but this is the RHS and a plant show for
God's sake................ bet his garden is perfectly normal. I take it
he didn't win any major prizes...........
Perhaps we could have some gardening presenters who actually like
flowers and trees etc.

I don't think he's a gardener and I find him incomprehensible.

Quite!

We thought the Chinese garden was really beautiful. We loved that mossy
wall effect, though I've just read the feng shui is 'bad' - can't say I
really understand all that!

I loved the Perrier garden from what I saw on television but most shots
were irritating close-ups but not the entire garden!
If the gardens had to be entirely recyclable after the event then what
on earth is going to happen to those monstrous stone edifices all over
the place? used for ballast in some new by-pass?

Do not like Mars - surely Chelsea is about the quality of the plants not
the dreaded 'designer ' stuff. I t was telling that the entire judging
panel was made up of Designers rather than horticulturalists and
similar.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 23-05-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Happened again this evening.... Somehow, this year's coverage just isn't
grabbing our attention. I awoke to Chris Beardshaw waxing eloquent and
enthusiastic about grasses and gave up!
I wish I knew enough to figure out what's happening. Is it the presenters -
doubt it because not many changes there - is it the format?

I'm taping the afternoon programmes and the ones on The gardening
channel in the mornings etc. They all have a slightly different flavour
though I can't understand Lorraine Kelly's accent
At least you get to see different views of the plants.

I believe there are podcasts as well?

Good thing about Sky, I can sit down at any time and watch, then re run
them if I nod off or lose interest
Old 24-05-2007, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
What did everyone think of last night's tv programme? As always, we
became
very irritated with the number of plants whose name didn't appear
onscreen,
though that improved when Carol Klein was in the marquee. But why oh why
do
they, every year, take us away from Chelsea and off to other locations?
Chelsea is Chelsea. All those other places they show could be the subject
of another series of gardening programmes. I have no particular dislike
of
Lawrence L-B but can't help wondering why he, an interior designer, has
been
recruited to present a programme on Chelsea. Alan Titchmarsh did his
usual
professional job - I think he's an excellent presenter but I did not
welcome
the mercifully brief appearance of Diarmuid Gavin. I don't like his
style,
I don't think he's a gardener and I find him incomprehensible.
We thought the Chinese garden was really beautiful. We loved that mossy
wall effect, though I've just read the feng shui is 'bad' - can't say I
really understand all that!
While I do think the presentation of Chelsea has improved immeasurably
over
the past couple of years, I really don't understand why the programme
makers
are frightened of making it just about Chelsea and of putting plant names
on
screen.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Personally I wish they would show as many plants as possible with the names
on the screen.
No need for anyone to talk at all.

Must say I've been watching on BBC HD and the picture is breath taking.

Old 24-05-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/5/07 09:04, in article ,
"Draven" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip
While I do think the presentation of Chelsea has improved immeasurably
over
the past couple of years, I really don't understand why the programme
makers
are frightened of making it just about Chelsea and of putting plant names
on
screen.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

Personally I wish they would show as many plants as possible with the names
on the screen.
No need for anyone to talk at all.

Must say I've been watching on BBC HD and the picture is breath taking.

We've got a telly that does do that/will do that. Do we have to do anything
in particular to 'switch on to it', or is it there already?! Daft question,
I know but I'm getting to the stage of needing a spare 5 year old around the
house to programme everything!
As far as coverage of Chelsea goes, the only thing that's going to improve
it is the reaction of the viewers at home. I may say that we felt precisely
the same about Spotlight South West's coverage of the Devon County Show.
They didn't once visit the Flower and Garden Show marquee nor AFAIK, the Dog
Show marquee. At the very end of the last day's coverage, they had some
silly 'cook off' contest involving 3 of the presenters and some local chefs.
The time could have been much better spent showing the missed aspects of the
Show including more of the food producers who were there. Instead, it was
the dreaded celebrity joshing and "let's all have larks together" stuff that
is just cringe-making, IMO.

Old 24-05-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:18:01 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Must say I've been watching on BBC HD and the picture is breath taking.

We've got a telly that does do that/will do that. Do we have to do
anything in particular to 'switch on to it', or is it there already?!

I don't think there are any terrestial HD transmissions outside of London
yet. So you'll need a HD capable digital sattelite receiver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitaltv/faq_hd.shtml

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 24-05-2007, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 24/5/07 09:04, in article
,
"Draven" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip
[...]

You'll need a Sky+ box or a V+ (Virgin Media box).
I've got the latter.
On VM it's channel 108.
I've recorded them all, so far, on the V+ box so I can get what names have
been shown.
I loved the rose show but yet again they fleeted over the stand and only
showed a few of the display.

Old 24-05-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/5/07 17:21, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:18:01 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Must say I've been watching on BBC HD and the picture is breath taking.

We've got a telly that does do that/will do that. Do we have to do
anything in particular to 'switch on to it', or is it there already?!

I don't think there are any terrestial HD transmissions outside of London
yet. So you'll need a HD capable digital sattelite receiver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitaltv/faq_hd.shtml

We have a Sky box but are going to swap it for one of those BBC boxes. We
find the only thing we watch on Sky is UK TV Gold, which is ridiculous!

Old 24-05-2007, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 May 2007 18:38:18 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We have a Sky box but are going to swap it for one of those BBC boxes.
We find the only thing we watch on Sky is UK TV Gold, which is
ridiculous!

What do you mean by "one of those BBC boxes?" Your Sky box will continue
to work once any subscription has run out as a "Freesat from Sky" box, it
will receive all the Free To Air stuff (ie all BBC and ITV offerings) and
also the Free To View channesl (Channel 4 and five). Without a card from
Sky you won't be able to get the last two.

Obviously it won't be HD but then I don't think there is a "Freesat from
the BBC/ITV" HD box available yet.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 24-05-2007, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 May, 12:31, Janet Tweedy wrote:
(snipette)

It was telling that the entire judging
panel was made up of Designers rather than horticulturalists and
similar.

Then this site is for you. All your questions answered and more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/talkwales...d_220501.shtml

And in this month The Garden there's an article about Roy Keating
controller of BBC2. He's been asked lots of questions about our
favourite gardening programmes. In the September issue, The Garden
will do an article with Carol Klein and we are invited to ask her
questions for that issue especially. That's our chance to ask our
burning question, did she or did she not grow potatoes before the
programme .... ;o)

But if I may add, I wish we would not always assumed that garden
designers are not gardeners. Very often they are, many are architects
too and many are artists. I think the fusion of all, especially
gardeners and artists collaborations results in fantastic gardens.
Chelsea is trying to appeal to everyone, not only gardeners. And times
are changing ...

Old 24-05-2007, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/5/07 22:09, in article
, "La Puce"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/talkwales...g/diarmuid_220
501.shtml

And in this month The Garden there's an article about Roy Keating
controller of BBC2. He's been asked lots of questions about our
favourite gardening programmes. In the September issue, The Garden
will do an article with Carol Klein and we are invited to ask her
questions for that issue especially. That's our chance to ask our
burning question, did she or did she not grow potatoes before the
programme .... ;o)

But if I may add, I wish we would not always assumed that garden
designers are not gardeners. Very often they are, many are architects
too and many are artists. I think the fusion of all, especially
gardeners and artists collaborations results in fantastic gardens.
Chelsea is trying to appeal to everyone, not only gardeners. And times
are changing ...

All are judged on their merits. Some, we know from experience, are not
plantsmen or women.

Old 25-05-2007, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 May, 22:29, Sacha wrote:
On 24/5/07 22:09, in article
. com, "La Puce"

But if I may add, I wish we would not always assumed that garden
designers are not gardeners. Very often they are, many are architects
too and many are artists. I think the fusion of all, especially
gardeners and artists collaborations results in fantastic gardens.
Chelsea is trying to appeal to everyone, not only gardeners. And times
are changing ...

All are judged on their merits. Some, we know from experience, are not
plantsmen or women.

Indeed they're judged on their merits - and that's a matter of
personnal taste combined with knowledge of garden styles. The comments
we've read or heard are usually about the design, about materials
used, about structures and colours and shapes, (and that's not only
about the wardrobe and hair style of the designer/presenter/
gardener ...(sic). I've heard little comments about planting if at all
- it's always about 'did she/he knows how to propagate or grow a
potatoe?'. To me that's like asking if an architect knows how to mix
mortar. Perhaps he/she did at sometimes, but that's not what he/she
does now.

On this basis, and the fact that I've got a dissertation to write, I
would be ever so grateful to know the garden designers some of you
know who are not gardeners/plantsmen or plantswomen. I can't think of
any and my bibliography is getting in the hundreds now.

Old 25-05-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 24/5/07 22:09, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

[...]

Oddly enough Diarmuid Gavin gets alot of stick for not seeming to like
plants but he actually does. I know some people (gardeners) who know him
and he served his time as a horticulturalist and working in garden shops and
as a gardener. He knows as much about plants as anyone.
I hate his Chelsea Show appearances but I love his crazy gardens and I used
to love his daft show with L.L.B.

Des

Old 25-05-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a Sky box but are going to swap it for one of those BBC boxes. We
find the only thing we watch on Sky is UK TV Gold, which is ridiculous!

I cannot get UK TV Gold on my Freeview box. Most annoying.

Pam in Bristol