Old 19-08-2007, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis Gillian Blades

I think this looks lovely but we haven't got it - yet. ;-) Charlie, do you
have that one?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-08-2007, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
I think this looks lovely but we haven't got it - yet. ;-) Charlie, do
you
have that one?

We bought one from Charlie a couple of years ago, it's an OK white but
wouldn't call it anything special. Mind you I'm into big bold colours now,
must be the dull weather of late.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-08-2007, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
I think this looks lovely but we haven't got it - yet. ;-) Charlie, do
you
have that one?

We bought one from Charlie a couple of years ago, it's an OK white but
wouldn't call it anything special. Mind you I'm into big bold colours
now,
must be the dull weather of late.

I saw a pic of it in the Evison book and liked the frilly edge to the
leaves
but if it's a very small flower, then it's probably not right for where
I'd
like to grow it. I want to put it up either a yew or a Camellia, so
perhaps
I'd be better going for C. Marie Boisselot?
One good thing about all this cool weather is that Tropaeolum speciosum,
growing through a yew hedge, is doing better than it has for a couple of
years.

The flowers aren't small so I've been out and measured them, it's having a
second flush ATM, and they are 5.5 inches tip to tip of the petals (despite
the plant being moved over last winter). Not a bad size at all, look good
against a dark background.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-08-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/8/07 15:34, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Thanks, Bob. We'll give that a try, I think.

Old 19-08-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 4:17 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 19/8/07 15:34, in article , "Bob

Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
[...]

children.'- Hide quoted text -

Do, because Chalie sent me three, they are spectacular in flower, I
love the pure white frilly edge.

Judith

Old 19-08-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith.lea wrote after ...
Sacha wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't go so far as spectacular, something scarlet that size might be,
but not white. But then I could never see the point of the white garden at
Sissinghurst (and others).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-08-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I wouldn't go so far as spectacular, something scarlet that size might be,
but not white. But then I could never see the point of the white garden at
Sissinghurst (and others).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

I can see you are a 'Ville de Lyon' kind of guy Bob!

I can sort you out next year Sacha but we have had quite a run on Gillian
this year and have no large ones left. I like it because its compact, if you
need height 'Henryi' or 'Marie Boisselott' are better

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-08-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/8/07 09:07, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I wouldn't go so far as spectacular, something scarlet that size might be,
but not white. But then I could never see the point of the white garden at
Sissinghurst (and others).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

I can see you are a 'Ville de Lyon' kind of guy Bob!

I can sort you out next year Sacha but we have had quite a run on Gillian
this year and have no large ones left. I like it because its compact, if you
need height 'Henryi' or 'Marie Boisselott' are better

--

Thanks, Charlie. I think we can use either Gillian Blades and/or Marie
Boisselot. I have a slight sentimental leaning towards the latter and like

Old 20-08-2007, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 10:32 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"judith.lea wrote after ...

Sacha wrote:
[...]

17mls W. of London.UK- Hide quoted text -

I am going through my white phase Bob and I am just off to paint a
chair - white!

Judith

Old 20-08-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/8/07 11:40, in article
,

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Without wishing to introduce a morbid note, I recently did the flowers in
someone's house for her funeral reception. Her favourite colour was white
and the whole house was decorated in shades of white and it looked
absolutely spectacular. I may add she had no children.........

Old 20-08-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 20, 11:57 am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:40:05 -0000, "

wrote:
I am going through my white phase Bob and I am just off to paint a
chair - white!

and your stick?
--

Martin

Dayglo orange.

Judith

Old 20-08-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/8/07 12:35, in article
,

wrote:
I am going through my white phase Bob and I am just off to paint a
chair - white!

and your stick?
--

Martin

Dayglo orange.

Judith

Oh come now. Ebony with a silver top. All the better to thwack grand
children's legs with. ;-)