Old 28-10-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Canadian seeks id of an English tree

This may seem silly, but I want to identify a tree that appears in the
background in three photos I took in 1963 in England (I am now in
Canada). The tree is quite distinctive in shape.

If no-one on this newsgroup can help, is there a "trees-only"
newsgroup that I might try?

Here's the story: I run a website devoted to the history of British
stock-car racing 1955-1975. Today I watched a video clip of racing at
a track at Brafield in Northamptonshire, and lo and behold, even from
the in-car camera view, I instantly recognized a tree that grew at the
edge of the stadium's property 45 years ago!

I could e-mail jpg's to any serious tree person. If anyone wants to
navigate through my rather clumsy and crowded website, here are the
directions:
www.oldstox.com
Sub-section "Senior F1 Racing in the 1960's"
(1) Search for "320", and the hyperlink jpg shows, behind two cars,
the tree.

Sub-section "58 Junier F2's"
(2) Scroll down to the second embedded photo, of two cars, and the
tree is there too.
(3) Same sub-section, search for "two friends", and the hyperlinked
jpg shows the tree again.

I trust that the folks at uk.rec.gardening have the same attention to
fine details that cricketers and stock-car fans do (e.g. "That axle
stub could NEVER have been used in 1957 in Scotland ---")

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Old 28-10-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/07 16:32, in article
,
" wrote:

This may seem silly, but I want to identify a tree that appears in the
background in three photos I took in 1963 in England (I am now in
Canada). The tree is quite distinctive in shape.

snip

Looks like a rather wind-blasted oak tree, doesn't it?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-10-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

Looks like a rather wind-blasted oak tree, doesn't it?

-++++ Sacha, Thank you for a VERY prompt reply.

My tree knowledge is abysmal, but your suggestion does "look" right to
me.
It never prospered in 45 years, always an uneven silhouette and
scraggly branches --- maybe the din and smoke of a half-century of
stock cars have hindered it ----!
David Kipling
BC, Canada
..

Old 28-10-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
barnsley writes:

| Looks like a rather wind-blasted oak tree, doesn't it?
|
| -++++ Sacha, Thank you for a VERY prompt reply.
| My tree knowledge is abysmal, but your suggestion does "look" right to
| me.
| It never prospered in 45 years, always an uneven silhouette and
| scraggly branches --- maybe the din and smoke of a half-century of
| stock cars have hindered it ----!

No, no, that's not it. That IS what oaks look like, unless bred for
timber. They are knobbly, ragged trees, and start getting stag-headed
(which that hadn't done yet) about a 1/3 through their lifetime. See
Oliver Rackham on that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-10-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article . com,
barnsley writes:

| Looks like a rather wind-blasted oak tree, doesn't it?
|
| -++++ Sacha, Thank you for a VERY prompt reply.
| My tree knowledge is abysmal, but your suggestion does "look" right to
| me.
| It never prospered in 45 years, always an uneven silhouette and
| scraggly branches --- maybe the din and smoke of a half-century of
| stock cars have hindered it ----!

No, no, that's not it. That IS what oaks look like, unless bred for
timber. They are knobbly, ragged trees, and start getting stag-headed
(which that hadn't done yet) about a 1/3 through their lifetime. See
Oliver Rackham on that.

Looks like an oak to me. Ouite a good example - many are not quite as full
as that - not so many branches. It's possible that one was covered in ivy.

Short cut to your photo here..

http://www.oldstox.com/images/Gateley64.jpg

It looks like the tree might still be there....

http://www.v8hotstox.com/nir.html

Old 29-10-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/10/07 16:32, in article
,
" wrote:

This may seem silly, but I want to identify a tree that appears in the
background in three photos I took in 1963 in England (I am now in
Canada). The tree is quite distinctive in shape.

snip

Looks like a rather wind-blasted oak tree, doesn't it?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

http://www.oldstox.com/664sideways.jpg

could be an Oak or possibly an old Elm Tree
http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/O...0Last-Hunt.jpg
the circuit is now known an NIR Northampton International Raceway

http://www.mkpics.smugmug.com/galler.../5145700/Large
plenty of images to check through.
Derek

Old 30-10-2007, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 29, 4:18 pm, "Derek" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

On 28/10/07 16:32, in article
om,

could be an Oak or possibly an old Elm Treehttp://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Occasions/23-14aU%20Last-Hunt.jpg
the circuit is now known an NIR Northampton International Raceway

http://www.mkpics.smugmug.com/galler.../5145700/Large
plenty of images to check through.
Derek- Hide quoted text -

Thanks very much to DEREK and to CWATTERS for links to those photos.
What a treat, to my nostalgic mind, to see the skyline remain after 45
years. Are you guys gardeners who helpfully google or gardeners who
also happen to know stock-car racing? And yes, I think there was ivy
at work in that hedgerow. Please forgive my double-identity hotmail
addresses!
David Kipling
BC, Canada

Old 30-10-2007, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"barnsley" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks very much to DEREK and to CWATTERS for links to those photos.
What a treat, to my nostalgic mind, to see the skyline remain after 45
years. Are you guys gardeners who helpfully google or gardeners who
also happen to know stock-car racing? And yes, I think there was ivy
at work in that hedgerow. Please forgive my double-identity hotmail
addresses!
David Kipling
BC, Canada

Gardeners who google in my case. I live about 30 miles east of Northampton
but have only been there once and never to the race track.

Old 30-10-2007, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 30, 9:54 am, "CWatters"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

On 30/10/07 09:17, in article ,

"CWatters"
wrote:

"barnsley" wrote in message
roups.com...
Thanks very much to DEREK and to CWATTERS for links to those photos.
What a treat, to my nostalgic mind, to see the skyline remain after 45
years. Are you guys gardeners who helpfully google or gardeners who
also happen to know stock-car racing? And yes, I think there was ivy
at work in that hedgerow. Please forgive my double-identity hotmail
addresses!
David Kipling
BC, Canada

Gardeners who google in my case. I live about 30 miles east of

Northampton
but have only been there once and never to the race track.

Is the tree in the 2004 photo the same tree, or thought to be? I ask
because an elm tree probably wouldn't have survived.

No not sure which tree is which but individual trees and their shadows can
be seen on Google Earth!

52 11' 51.9"N, 0 48' 10.32"W- Hide quoted text -

Oh dear, northampton folks knows as how, once you're 30 miles East,
the people have webbed feet ----
and seriously not far back you could hear very distinct accent
differences within Northants between villages 10 miles apart.
"Wot you dooin layter?" "Oim gooin dayn tayn s'art'noon, me ducks."

ex-Brit David Kipling

Old 30-10-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh dear, northampton folks knows as how, once you're 30 miles East,
the people have webbed feet ----
and seriously not far back you could hear very distinct accent
differences within Northants between villages 10 miles apart.
"Wot you dooin layter?" "Oim gooin dayn tayn s'art'noon, me ducks."

ex-Brit David Kipling

Not quite _that_ far east. We're still west of Huntingdon. Dead posh over
here. There are schools where the distance from the school gate to the
school building is practically a half marathon.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 4:32 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Here is a picture that looks right. so it is an oak.

http://www.indexstock.com/store/Chub...Number=284073a