Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 'Salcombe rosemary'

On 1 Nov, 02:56, Dave Poole wrote:
Puke, why have you deliberately tried to twist this thread? You
really are an utterly tiresome little sniper. If you've got nothing
to add apart from making feeble attempts at points scoring, just keep
out. Anyone with less than an ounce of common sense will see that
Sacha's follow-up is entirely consistent with previous postings.

Why have you deliberately called me by this name? I have posted this
link not to 'twist' but to show Sacha's inconsistencies, indeed. She
had said in February that Olivier couldn't identified the rosemary.
She also said she had approached many local nurseries, including
Burncoose, and now said that Olivier can't identify it again, two days
ago, including other local nurseries. Are the owners of the property
still not in after 9 months?!

Whatever answer you come up with, I'll ask you nicely not to abuse me,
nor threaten me. I do not write to you in this way.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This is the (somewhat contentious) rosemary I was trying to ID some time
ago. Having had some computer problems sorted, I've found the pic of it.
I've checked with several gardeners and with a few nurseries and it's only
ever known as the 'Salcombe rosemary' round here.
As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back! It's very
tender and seems to survive only in the mildest sea side gardens round
here.
I've emailed a pic to Olivier Filippi both to see if he can ID it and if
he'd like some cuttings!
http://i1.tinypic.com/6c6mufk.jpg

--

I am VERY jealous!!!! I would love to be able to grow this variety but it
wouldn't survive our winters (nor much of Spring & Fall). Here's a pic of

Graham

Old 01-11-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 14:05, in article 03lWi.165049$Da.15360@pd7urf1no, "graham"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Ours went back last w/e and I've still got jetlag! ;-) Nice, healthy
plants, Graham. Is the one on the right a citrus of some sort?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-11-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 16:25, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Except at Gatwick Airport where somebody screwed up the time.

That was extraordinary. You'd think someone might have noticed all the
clocks were wrong!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

threats ???

abuse ????

overactive imagination !!!!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. uk...
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, a grapefruit grown from a sprouting seed that one often finds in the
fruit. I planted two but the other plant started to exude a resinous
substance from parts of the stem. I asked this forum about it but it seems
no-one knew what could cause it so, to be on the safe side, I chucked it.
The one on the left is a bay laurel. I understand there is some dispute as
to whether this is the European or the Californian variety. Either way,
the leaves have a very pleasant smell.
Graham

Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article e6oWi.165223$Da.160727@pd7urf1no,
"graham" writes:

| Yes, a grapefruit grown from a sprouting seed that one often finds in the
| fruit. I planted two but the other plant started to exude a resinous
| substance from parts of the stem. I asked this forum about it but it seems
| no-one knew what could cause it so, to be on the safe side, I chucked it.
| The one on the left is a bay laurel. I understand there is some dispute as
| to whether this is the European or the Californian variety. Either way,
| the leaves have a very pleasant smell.

Look at the leaf margins. It's not California Bay Laurel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 17:34, in article e6oWi.165223$Da.160727@pd7urf1no, "graham"
wrote:

. uk...
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

To me, it just looks like bay but is there a danger in confusing the two?!

Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 1/11/07 17:34, in article e6oWi.165223$Da.160727@pd7urf1no, "graham"
| wrote:
|
| http://i12.tinypic.com/5ylxwnn.jpg
|
| .... I understand there is some dispute as
| to whether this is the European or the Californian variety. Either way,
| the leaves have a very pleasant smell.
|
| To me, it just looks like bay but is there a danger in confusing the two?!

Not really. If the information off the Web is reliable, the Californian
plant never has crinkly leaf edges. True bay always always does, and
that one does.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 18:49, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 1/11/07 17:34, in article e6oWi.165223$Da.160727@pd7urf1no, "graham"
| wrote:
|
| http://i12.tinypic.com/5ylxwnn.jpg
|
| .... I understand there is some dispute as
| to whether this is the European or the Californian variety. Either way,
| the leaves have a very pleasant smell.
|
| To me, it just looks like bay but is there a danger in confusing the two?!

Not really. If the information off the Web is reliable, the Californian
plant never has crinkly leaf edges. True bay always always does, and
that one does.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh good. Ours certainly do but I wondered only if there was some toxic
thing involved.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 1/11/07 17:34, in article e6oWi.165223$Da.160727@pd7urf1no, "graham"
| wrote:
|
| http://i12.tinypic.com/5ylxwnn.jpg
|
| .... I understand there is some dispute as
| to whether this is the European or the Californian variety. Either
way,
| the leaves have a very pleasant smell.
|
| To me, it just looks like bay but is there a danger in confusing the
two?!

Not really. If the information off the Web is reliable, the Californian
plant never has crinkly leaf edges. True bay always always does, and
that one does.

Many thanks for clearing that up!!!
Cheers
Graham

Old 01-11-2007, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 1/11/07 17:34, in article e6oWi.165223$Da.160727@pd7urf1no, "graham"
wrote:

. uk...
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

AFAIK, no! To foody purists, the flavour of the Californian is somewhat
"coarser", apparently.
Graham

Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 1, 6:54 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 1/11/07 18:49, in article , "Nick

Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 1/11/07 17:34, in article e6oWi.165223$Da.160727@pd7urf1no, "graham"
| wrote:
|
| http://i12.tinypic.com/5ylxwnn.jpg
|
| .... I understand there is some dispute as
| to whether this is the European or the Californian variety. Either way,
| the leaves have a very pleasant smell.
|
| To me, it just looks like bay but is there a danger in confusing the two?!

Not really. If the information off the Web is reliable, the Californian
plant never has crinkly leaf edges. True bay always always does, and
that one does.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh good. Ours certainly do but I wondered only if there was some toxic
thing involved.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'- Hide quoted text -

I hope not Sacha, as I use any old bay for boeuf stews. (About the
only thing I can cook)

Judith

Old 01-11-2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"judith.lea" writes:
| On Nov 1, 6:54 pm, Sacha wrote:
|
| Not really. If the information off the Web is reliable, the Californian
| plant never has crinkly leaf edges. True bay always always does, and
| that one does.
|
| Oh good. Ours certainly do but I wondered only if there was some toxic
| thing involved.
|
| I hope not Sacha, as I use any old bay for boeuf stews. (About the
| only thing I can cook)

Few herbs or spices are good for you in excess, as the chemicals that
give the flavour are normally slightly toxic. But you generally have
to eat them in quantities that few people could stomach to have
problems. Nutmeg is a notorious exception.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rosemary problem CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM