Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 'Salcombe rosemary'

On 1/11/07 20:40, in article
, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Nov 1, 6:54 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 1/11/07 18:49, in article , "Nick

Maclaren" wrote:

http://i12.tinypic.com/5ylxwnn.jpg

| .... I understand there is some dispute as
| to whether this is the European or the Californian variety. Either
way,
| the leaves have a very pleasant smell.
|
| To me, it just looks like bay but is there a danger in confusing the
two?!

Not really. If the information off the Web is reliable, the Californian
plant never has crinkly leaf edges. True bay always always does, and
that one does.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh good. Ours certainly do but I wondered only if there was some toxic
thing involved.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

I hope not Sacha, as I use any old bay for boeuf stews. (About the
only thing I can cook)

Judith

Sounds a bit like the purist difference between Russian and French tarragon
then?

Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 20:56, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article .com,
"judith.lea" writes:
| On Nov 1, 6:54 pm, Sacha wrote:
|
| Not really. If the information off the Web is reliable, the
Californian
| plant never has crinkly leaf edges. True bay always always does, and
| that one does.
|
| Oh good. Ours certainly do but I wondered only if there was some toxic
| thing involved.
|
| I hope not Sacha, as I use any old bay for boeuf stews. (About the
| only thing I can cook)

Few herbs or spices are good for you in excess, as the chemicals that
give the flavour are normally slightly toxic. But you generally have
to eat them in quantities that few people could stomach to have
problems. Nutmeg is a notorious exception.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

One of my daughters loathes and detests nutmeg. What does she know that the
rest of us don't?

Old 01-11-2007, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 1/11/07 20:40, in article

I hope not Sacha, as I use any old bay for boeuf stews. (About the
only thing I can cook)

Judith

Sounds a bit like the purist difference between Russian and French
tarragon
then?

No!!!! I've grown the Russian variety (from seed) and it is absolutely
tasteless and odourless. I have the French variety growing now. Poulard à
l'estragon - glorious!!
Graham

Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 23:40, in article wttWi.168182$th2.145774@pd7urf3no, "graham"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 1/11/07 20:40, in article

I hope not Sacha, as I use any old bay for boeuf stews. (About the
only thing I can cook)

Judith

Sounds a bit like the purist difference between Russian and French
tarragon
then?

No!!!! I've grown the Russian variety (from seed) and it is absolutely
tasteless and odourless. I have the French variety growing now. Poulard à
l'estragon - glorious!!
Graham

;-)) 'morning Graham.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 1 Nov, 02:56, Dave Poole wrote:
Puke, why have you deliberately tried to twist this thread? You
really are an utterly tiresome little sniper. If you've got nothing
to add apart from making feeble attempts at points scoring, just keep
out. Anyone with less than an ounce of common sense will see that
Sacha's follow-up is entirely consistent with previous postings.

Why have you deliberately called me by this name?

"Puke"
Well that is the name of something that most people find repulsive and vile.
I don't think David is far off the mark.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:04:14 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 1/11/07 20:56, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

snip

Few herbs or spices are good for you in excess, as the chemicals that
give the flavour are normally slightly toxic. But you generally have
to eat them in quantities that few people could stomach to have
problems. Nutmeg is a notorious exception.

One of my daughters loathes and detests nutmeg. What does she know that the
rest of us don't?

I was curious about that reference myself, since I had just grated a whole
nutmeg onto a rice pudding (as I normally do when I make one). I have looked
up the toxic effects, but presumably we didn't have enough to have the
hallucinationsg.. I have never (yet) noticed any ill effects.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 02-11-2007, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" writes:
| "Sacha" wrote in message
| . uk...
| On 1/11/07 20:40, in article
|
| I hope not Sacha, as I use any old bay for boeuf stews. (About the
| only thing I can cook)
|
| Sounds a bit like the purist difference between Russian and French
| tarragon then?
|
| No!!!! I've grown the Russian variety (from seed) and it is absolutely
| tasteless and odourless. I have the French variety growing now. Poulard à
| l'estragon - glorious!!

Er, not quite. It seems that the difference is more complicated than
that, and it is unclear whether "Russian" versus "French" tarragon is
different varieties or different growth (as normal ivy versus tree
ivy). Tarragon does vary between tasteless and strongly flavoured,
but the cause of the difference is, I believe, unknown. In particular,
"Russian" tarragon can develop into "French" tarragon after some years
of growth, and "French" tarragon can revert to "Russian" tarragon.
I tried chasing this issue down some years back, and eventually gave
up.

The difference between true (Grecian) bay, Californian bay and most
others is that they are unrelated plants with similar appearances and
tastes. The similarity of appearance is not surprising, as it is a
very common one for dry-terrain shrubs. True bay is Laurus nobilis,
Californian bay is Umbellularia californica, and there are others.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article et,
Sally Thompson writes:
| On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:04:14 +0000, Sacha wrote
| (in article ) :
|
| Few herbs or spices are good for you in excess, as the chemicals that
| give the flavour are normally slightly toxic. But you generally have
| to eat them in quantities that few people could stomach to have
| problems. Nutmeg is a notorious exception.
|
| One of my daughters loathes and detests nutmeg. What does she know that the
| rest of us don't?
|
| I was curious about that reference myself, since I had just grated a whole
| nutmeg onto a rice pudding (as I normally do when I make one). I have looked
| up the toxic effects, but presumably we didn't have enough to have the
| hallucinationsg.. I have never (yet) noticed any ill effects.

The amount needed for hallucinations is several nutmegs per adult.
When I was younger, I grated a whole one into cocoa largely by
accident, and had the most appalling stomach craps - a common
symptom of nutmeg poisoning. One nutmeg in a rice pudding eaten
by several people is unlikely to cause trouble.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Nov 1, 12:22 pm, wrote:
Why have you deliberately called me by this name?

Because of the astonishing speed in which you disgorge your copious
verbal bile. La Puce it may have been, but while you continue such
obnoxious outpourings, 'Puke' it will remain. Got it?

I have posted this
link not to 'twist' but to show Sacha's inconsistencies, indeed. She
had said in February that Olivier couldn't identified the rosemary.
She also said she had approached many local nurseries, including
Burncoose, and now said that Olivier can't identify it again, two days
ago, including other local nurseries.

So what's your problem and what's your point? She said it wasn't
identified then and it still has not been identified. So?
There are countless variants of all manner of plants out there that
remain unidentified for years and it's no surprise to me that even
Olivier hasn't put a handle on this one yet. There's absolutely no
inconsistency whatsoever.

Are the owners of the property still not in after 9 months?!

Maybe not. Like most of us, Sacha does not stalk other people's
property and it's easily possible that the owners weren't there on the
occasions she went. Salcombe has more than its fair share of absent
occupiers in any case, which is why house prices there are so high.
You may have no qualms about banging on the doors of complete
strangers, but some of us are a bit more reserved in that respect.

Whatever answer you come up with, I'll ask you nicely not to abuse me,
nor threaten me. I do not write to you in this way.

Threaten? What on earth are you wittering about now? Where's the
threat? This is the problem, you mis-use words so liberally (either
deliberately or otherwise) that you mislead to a nauseous excess.
Listen, if your understanding of English is so poor, maybe you'd be
better off on French based NGs. If your understanding is not that
poor, then your intentions are to cause as much trouble as possible.
Take your pick.

Well, I'll do a deal. You stop twisting (because the entire gist and
inference of your interruption was to twist) and stop taking every
opportunity to attack those who disagree with you and I'll stop
publicly referring to you as 'Puke'. Just behave as most sensible
folks do and if you can't be civil, don't bother to interrupt.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/11/07 09:36, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

On Nov 1, 12:22 pm, wrote:
[...]

I posted again on the subject because I had found the photograph I linked to
here. I am as sure as I can be that I didn't post it before because I had a
computer glitch and a lot of my photos went AWOL. Having now found out how
to regain them, I thought seeing a pic of the rosemary in situ might help in
identifying it. Obviously, nobody, including Filippi knows what it is.
Last time this subject came up someone gave the name of a rosemary expert on
here and I have sent him that photo, too. We'll see if he can throw any
light on the subject.

Are the owners of the property still not in after 9 months?!

Maybe not. Like most of us, Sacha does not stalk other people's
property and it's easily possible that the owners weren't there on the
occasions she went. Salcombe has more than its fair share of absent
occupiers in any case, which is why house prices there are so high.
You may have no qualms about banging on the doors of complete
strangers, but some of us are a bit more reserved in that respect.

The people who own the house are friends and customers of ours and are
indeed, as you so rightly say, David, away for long periods. They're in
South Africa for nearly half the year. That photo was taken last winter and
they were not there, though we had their permission to go over and take
cuttings. They don't know the name of the rosemary, either because if they
did, obviously I would have said so by now!!
In fact, both amusingly and ironically, it is they who took us to lunch at
the place with the mystery ivy. Obviously their mission in life is to
torment us. ;-)
snip

Old 02-11-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Nov, 09:36, Dave Poole wrote:
(snip)

Thank you Dave. You didn't tell me why Sacha, after a summer of
peaceful exchanges wrote suddenly this: "How peculiar that 'skinty'
and Helene Rudlin should write absolutely identical posts. Yet
another shape shift? ", especially after several posts where she was
blahbing on apologiesising left right and centre for loss of total
control and confusion over many things, some quite not related to
gardening.

It is clear the woman cannot 'control' so many threads. Something has
to give up. And on this occasion she again assumed incorectly and went
nasty as she does in many other forums.

This is why I became agitated, did a knee jerk reaction, then
apologised and all seemed well. However I had rang Sacha, because I
wanted peace once and for all. Clearly she doesn't. If her mistakes
where made within a peaceful time, I wouldn't have minded, but it's
the way she writes to me. Also I do not 'stalk' people. I happened to
be part of an urban academicians group and spent several days in
Cornwal and Devon, towards the best city awards, which incidentally
will take place at the Dorchester in London next Friday. There, you've
heard it first here. Though I won't go back into this. It's silly, you
know what I did, what I do and when, and clearly you have nothing to
say to me. I do not 'hide' behind any name other than mine. I do not
'morph'. I am enjoying postings with people of every walk of life
about the built environment and gardens.

As for the Romarin, I've emailed Olivier (and Clara) too, reminding
him of Sacha's emails. Very much anticipating his answer, as you can
imagine.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/11/07 10:34, in article
, "
wrote:

On 2 Nov, 09:36, Dave Poole wrote:
(snip)

Thank you Dave. You didn't tell me why Sacha, after a summer of
peaceful exchanges wrote suddenly this: "How peculiar that 'skinty'
and Helene Rudlin should write absolutely identical posts. Yet
another shape shift? ", especially after several posts where she was
blahbing on apologiesising left right and centre for loss of total
control and confusion over many things, some quite not related to
gardening.

As you yourself said, top-posting caused that confusion and as soon as I
realised my mistake, I apologised *immediately*. Which did not stop you
going into a rant and then ringing my husband's business number.

[...]

And you say you don't stalk people? Do you call it normal behaviour to
email other people about my correspondence with them? I have no idea what
Clara has to do with this but I do think you are mad - genuinely disturbed
and out of control. I shall apologise to Olivier for his having been
dragged into this.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Nov, 10:55, Sacha wrote:
Do you call it normal behaviour to
email other people about my correspondence with them?

Olivier runs a fantastic peppiniere in France for dry gardens. Sorry
Sacha but you're not the only one who knows other people in the world
of horticulture. It's you who is mad for believing you have rights
over anybody else. This rosemary has been discussed here for over 9
months now. Strange you bring it up once more knowing perfectly well
it would annoy me. The funny thing is that you didn't even realised
that the Olivier who had wrote to me via the french garden forum was
in fact the same person!

Someone suggested to me, from this forum, to put this newsgroup on
outlook and killfile you once and for all as I can't do it via beta
google. Perhaps then I won't see your childish, unsincere, cringing
tit for tat regarding past subjects you've clearly haven't got the
last word on nor your tedious news on whatever you're husband's been
digesting that day nor your horrid groveling at some posters here on
the hope they will kindly understand your senility.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| The amount needed for hallucinations is several nutmegs per adult.
| When I was younger, I grated a whole one into cocoa largely by
| accident, and had the most appalling stomach craps - a common
| symptom of nutmeg poisoning. One nutmeg in a rice pudding eaten
| by several people is unlikely to cause trouble.
|
| Stomach cramps?

Er, yes :-) I have had the most appalling craps from other foods,
but that is an even less attractive subject ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rosemary problem CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM