Old 31-10-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 'Salcombe rosemary'

This is the (somewhat contentious) rosemary I was trying to ID some time
ago. Having had some computer problems sorted, I've found the pic of it.
I've checked with several gardeners and with a few nurseries and it's only
ever known as the 'Salcombe rosemary' round here.
As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back! It's very
tender and seems to survive only in the mildest sea side gardens round here.
I've emailed a pic to Olivier Filippi both to see if he can ID it and if
he'd like some cuttings!
http://i1.tinypic.com/6c6mufk.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-10-2007, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back!

And the green-eyed monster rears his head again!
Just lovely.
At my location, NO rosemary is winter hardy. I started a few from cuttings
to winter and cook with indoors. I remember down in Virginia seeing a
large rosemary plant in a sheltered spot in front of a book ship, which the
owner said had been there for a number of years.
They're predicting mid-60sF today, so hopefully I'll start sticking garlic
cloves in the freshly rototilled bed.

Old 31-10-2007, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 31, 12:35 pm, Sacha wrote:
This is the (somewhat contentious) rosemary I was trying to ID some time
ago. Having had some computer problems sorted, I've found the pic of it.
I've checked with several gardeners and with a few nurseries and it's only
ever known as the 'Salcombe rosemary' round here.
As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back! It's very
tender and seems to survive only in the mildest sea side gardens round here.
I've emailed a pic to Olivier Filippi both to see if he can ID it and if
he'd like some cuttings!
http://i1.tinypic.com/6c6mufk.jpg

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Sacha, it is huge, would it survive here do you think?

Judith

Old 31-10-2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/07 13:39, in article
, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 31, 12:35 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Not a prayer, Judith. It doesn't survive with us and we rarely get frost
below -5C. All you could try is having it in a pot on top of a high wall
and then bring it in for the winter. Might become a bit of a heavy chore as
it grows, though!
I've heard back from Olivier Filippi who doesn't know which it is but very
much wants some cuttings!

Old 31-10-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/07 13:33, in article ,
"Gary Woods" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back!

And the green-eyed monster rears his head again!
Just lovely.

It really is amazing! I just wish it would get through winters here. I'm
thinking we're going to have to build a wall inside a greenhouse just to
grow that. ;-)

At my location, NO rosemary is winter hardy. I started a few from cuttings
to winter and cook with indoors. I remember down in Virginia seeing a
large rosemary plant in a sheltered spot in front of a book ship, which the
owner said had been there for a number of years.

Yes, many others will survive here. We're growing one in our garden called
R. 'Marenca' and it's another lovely one - prostrate but with bits that sort
of go off in their own direction! It's nothing like as long as the Salcombe
rosemary, though.

They're predicting mid-60sF today, so hopefully I'll start sticking garlic
cloves in the freshly rototilled bed.

According to the weather widget on my Mac it's 48F in Plymouth (30 mins from
here) and we have patches of blue sky with some ominous clouds but I don't
feel cold, though this morning was a little brisk.

Old 31-10-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gary Woods writes:
| Sacha wrote:
|
| As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
| trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back!
|
| And the green-eyed monster rears his head again!
| Just lovely.

It is rather nice, and is something that you are quite happy to brush
against as you walk past. Not all trailers are like that ....

| At my location, NO rosemary is winter hardy. I started a few from cuttings
| to winter and cook with indoors. I remember down in Virginia seeing a
| large rosemary plant in a sheltered spot in front of a book ship, which the
| owner said had been there for a number of years.

That was true even for me before the last decade or so. My garden is
a wind trap, and the combination of -10 to -15 and a steady wind is
too much for such things. But, recently, no problem - though I couldn't
grow that.

My current rosemary and thyme problems are root rot. The soil may
be free-draining, but that doesn't help if the wet doesn't let up,
and is combined with occasional moderate frosts (-5 or more).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 31, 1:44 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 31/10/07 13:39, in article
. com, "judith.lea"

wrote:
On Oct 31, 12:35 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

children.'- Hide quoted text -

Shame it won't be any good here, it looks spectacular. It would be
great if it were identified exactly, surely there must be someone who
knows it?

Judith

Old 31-10-2007, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:35:58 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

This is the (somewhat contentious) rosemary I was trying to ID some time
ago. Having had some computer problems sorted, I've found the pic of it.
I've checked with several gardeners and with a few nurseries and it's only
ever known as the 'Salcombe rosemary' round here.
As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back! It's very
tender and seems to survive only in the mildest sea side gardens round here.
I've emailed a pic to Olivier Filippi both to see if he can ID it and if
he'd like some cuttings!
http://i1.tinypic.com/6c6mufk.jpg

Beautiful.
It's on my wish list Sacha!

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-10-2007, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
..
My current rosemary and thyme problems are root rot. The soil may
be free-draining, but that doesn't help if the wet doesn't let up,
and is combined with occasional moderate frosts (-5 or more).

Try growing it in a biggish pot (with decent holes in the bottom) of free
draining (John Innes + gravel) and let it root through the pot into the
ground.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-10-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/07 14:22, in article
, "judith.lea"
wrote:
snip Shame it won't be any good here, it looks spectacular. It would be
great if it were identified exactly, surely there must be someone who
knows it?

Judith

The best guess is that it's a sport of 'something else' but nobody can get
closer than that.

Old 31-10-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 31, 12:35 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Do you think it's just the cold or a combination of cold and wet which is
why most Mediterranean plants can't cope with our winters.
I've seen plants around where a friend lives in SW France that won't do here
but their winters go much lower than here but are dry.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-10-2007, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Oct 31, 12:35 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Our guess is the wet has an awful lot to do with it here. Some things just
don't like having wet *and* cold feet for months on end. But in this case,
because we can grow other rosemaries, I'd imagine the cold and the frosts we
do get, must put the kybosh on some things.

Old 31-10-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| .
| My current rosemary and thyme problems are root rot. The soil may
| be free-draining, but that doesn't help if the wet doesn't let up,
| and is combined with occasional moderate frosts (-5 or more).
|
| Try growing it in a biggish pot (with decent holes in the bottom) of free
| draining (John Innes + gravel) and let it root through the pot into the
| ground.

That's one technique, and is fine for warm, wet winters. Mine is to
layer them regularly, and to regard them as short-lived. That works
better in cold winters.

I find that they die only when getting established, and when they get
old, and layering resolves the latter problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 31/10/07 16:30, in article
, "Bob

wrote:

On Oct 31, 12:35 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

I don't think cold summers (relative I know!) help as the plants do not
ripen wood properly letting rots in.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Rosemary problem CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM