Old 06-12-2007, 02:19 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In message , Adrian
Tupper writes
Hello blast-from-the-past.

uk.r.w?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-12-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

Hello blast-from-the-past.

uk.r.w?

yes, him, you and me! IIRC discussing how many true mountains* compose
the hills surrounding Glencoe.

*mountain as massif not sub peaks.
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old 07-12-2007, 02:37 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in
:

In message , Adrian
Tupper writes
Hello blast-from-the-past.

uk.r.w?

Yup. Haven't been there for a few years.
I had a middle name in those days.

--
Adrian

Remove packaging and take out insurance before emailing me
Old 07-12-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Adrian Tupper
wrote:

uk.r.w?

Yup. Haven't been there for a few years.
I had a middle name in those days.

"bog tupper" wasnt it? :-)
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

uk.r.w?

Yup. Haven't been there for a few years.
I had a middle name in those days.

"bog tupper" wasnt it? :-)

Now, now Mike, you know it was Marsh. Gosh how on earth did I remember
that

Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Ophelia" wrote:

"bog tupper" wasnt it? :-)

Now, now Mike, you know it was Marsh. Gosh how on earth did I remember
that

the question is why has Adrian drained his marsh?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Mike..... wrote:
Following up to "Ophelia" wrote:

"bog tupper" wasnt it? :-)

Now, now Mike, you know it was Marsh. Gosh how on earth did I
remember that

the question is why has Adrian drained his marsh?

that sounds awfully personal Mike G

Old 08-12-2007, 01:54 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes
wrote:

uk.r.w?

Yup. Haven't been there for a few years.
I had a middle name in those days.

"bog tupper" wasnt it? :-)

Now, now Mike, you know it was Marsh. Gosh how on earth did I remember
that

I remember it now you've said it, O
--
June Hughes
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc, uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 3, 11:20 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article ,

"Mike...." wrote:
Following up to (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

"Some sort of japonica", in normal usage, can mean only one of the
Chaenomeles. Japonica as the name of a group of plants means that
and nothing else.

are there not various "japanese" quinces? I understood the meaning to
be that. I had an ormamental one in the garden for a time.

Japanese quinces are usually understood to be Chaenomeles and then there are
named varieties of that. AFAIK, you can make jelly from them.
Cydonia is the true quince with the large, golden, roughly pear-shaped fruit
- these are real beauties when mature trees but they're not the 'mysterious
fruit' I'm trying to ID.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

I have some quince in my back garden and I don't have the faintest if
they are edible or not, my husband laughed when I bought quince at the
local greengrocers to make quince jelly for Christmas, he swears we
have the same thing in the garden, but I am not chancing it - with my
slight knowledge - I am bound to get them confused.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/07 14:35, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Dec 3, 11:20 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article ,

"Mike...." wrote:
[...]

Take them to your local greengrocer, they'll tell you. The French and
Italians are good at using whatever comes to hand and knowing how to use it
safely, too.
--
Sacha

Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 10, 3:33 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:27:56 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 10/12/07 14:35, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Dec 3, 11:20 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article ,

"Mike...." wrote:
[...]

Let Judith's husband demonstrate that the proof is in the eating.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Martin, you are sooooooooo bad :-)
Old 10-12-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc, uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 10, 3:27 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/12/07 14:35, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:
On Dec 3, 11:20 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article ,

"Mike...." wrote:
[...]

Sacha- Hide quoted text -

You are absolutely correct, do you know that mushrooms can be taken to
the pharmacy for identification? Out of a whole basket, only one type
of mine was edible! The others could be eaten, with the exception of
one sounding like amoneta? but they would taste awful, so the
pharmacist said. I will stick to buying them in the shop I think.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/07 18:34, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Dec 10, 3:27 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/12/07 14:35, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:
On Dec 3, 11:20 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article ,

"Mike...." wrote:
[...]

Actually, I *did* know that. I've never done it myself but I have friends
living near Chaufailles and their nearest towns all have herbalistes in the
chemists who can do this. The fungi hunting patches are very jealously
guarded so you were probably lucky to find any at all. And glad to hear you
were using a basket. Apparently the cognoscenti, (to mix languages) always
do, as spores fall through to 'salt' the ground for the future. I'm told
plastic bags are rather frowned upon.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
judith.lea writes
On Dec 10, 3:27 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/12/07 14:35, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:
On Dec 3, 11:20 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article ,

"Mike...." wrote:
[...]

Amanita. That genus contains several deadly fungi, including the death
cap, fool's mushroom and destroying angel. Wikipedia claims that Amanita
accounts for 95% of deaths by mushroom poisoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-12-2007, 07:31 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/07 19:12, in article , "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message
,
judith.lea writes

snip

You are absolutely correct, do you know that mushrooms can be taken to
the pharmacy for identification? Out of a whole basket, only one type
of mine was edible! The others could be eaten, with the exception of
one sounding like amoneta? but they would taste awful, so the
pharmacist said. I will stick to buying them in the shop I think.

Amanita. That genus contains several deadly fungi, including the death
cap, fool's mushroom and destroying angel. Wikipedia claims that Amanita
accounts for 95% of deaths by mushroom poisoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita

Now that Judith is living in France full time - and in the right area - I
think a friendly neighbour, who will show her what these fruits of the
forest look like while growing, would be invaluable to her!