Old 04-12-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in
:

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
Ophelia wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article
, "Mike...."
wrote:

Following up to
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

"Some sort of japonica", in normal usage, can mean only one of
the Chaenomeles. Japonica as the name of a group of plants
means that and nothing else.

are there not various "japanese" quinces? I understood the
meaning to be that. I had an ormamental one in the garden for a
time.

Japanese quinces are usually understood to be Chaenomeles and then
there are named varieties of that. AFAIK, you can make jelly
from them.
Cydonia is the true quince with the large, golden, roughly
pear-shaped fruit - these are real beauties when mature trees but
they're not the 'mysterious fruit' I'm trying to ID.

All this sounds so exotic to me. I tend to grow apples, plums,
blackberries, rhubarb and blackcurrants. We do eat them and I cook
with them. I suppose it is because it is what I grew up with I
do try unknown fruits but somehow I can't get to grips with them.

I had fun trying to ID nisperos in English- as I only ever knew them
by the spanish name. It's loquat, but the Italian nespole (that's what
they were called in a market when we bought them in Rome) translates
as medlar fruit, which I don't think is the same thing- though related
IIRC?

You can think of a medlar (Mespilus) as a giant haw (Crataegus);
loquats (Eriobotrya) are also pome fruits, but so are apples, pears,
serviceberries, and quite a few other plants.

One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Yes, there is an English name; it is granadilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granadilla

Hello blast-from-the-past.

--
Adrian

Remove packaging and take out insurance before emailing me
Old 04-12-2007, 07:14 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

I am a Lidl fan too

We went there ......................................... ONCE :-((

Cheap and nasty

You were a Lidl unimpressed?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 4/12/07 19:07, in article ,
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor *" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 4/12/07 17:49, in article ,
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor *" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...
[]
One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Grenadilla is one of several species of Passion fruit

So I see, but when I think of passion fruit (at least what goes by that
name here) it's quite different.

Where is 'here'? The Passionflower most seen grown outdoors in UK is
Passiflora caerulea.

UK- I'm talking about passion fruit you buy in shops...

Oh, sorry. I'm on a single-track gardening mind, obviously!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Ophelia" writes:
| Sacha wrote:
|
| UK- I'm talking about passion fruit you buy in shops...
|
| Oh, sorry. I'm on a single-track gardening mind, obviously!
|
| Does passion fruit grow on passiflora?

Yes. Passiflora edulis is the one most commonly found in shops,
P. caerulea is the one most commonly grown outside (and has yellow
fruit much like P. edulis, but insipid), several species can be
grown in warm locations, and P. incarnata can be grown if its
roots are dryish in winter. Lot of the warm-location and greenhouse
ones produce edible fruit, often called granadilla in some
countries.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

snip
| One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
| grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
| was selling them a while back...
|
| Yes, there is an English name; it is granadilla.
|
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granadilla

We always knew it as grenadilla in Africa.

Interesting. In Australia, the purple ones are known as passionfruit and
the yellow ones as banana passionfruit.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

James Nicoll's epigram applies -

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary"

Superb!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 4/12/07 20:00, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

snip
| One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
| grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
| was selling them a while back...
|
| Yes, there is an English name; it is granadilla.
|
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granadilla

We always knew it as grenadilla in Africa.

Interesting. In Australia, the purple ones are known as passionfruit and
the yellow ones as banana passionfruit.

The latter come from P. mollissima which is too tender to grow outdoors
here. We have it here in a greenhouse and it has fruited but whether it
ripens is another matter.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do not eat the seeds they will make you sick
it looks like a mexican melons

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 17:03:49 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 2/12/07 15:33, in article , "bof"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2/12/07 11:09, in article , "bof"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 1/12/07 20:01, in article , "bof"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Over on uk.rec.gardening, we're trying to identify this mysterious fruit
which we were given a couple of days ago. It is growing on a bush in a
garden near Bristol:

They smell very faintly citrusy to me and each seed chamber has two seeds
in
each side. She's not a gardener so can only tell me that the leaves are
leaf shaped, not huge, not leathery and that the fruits are autumnal.
http://i16.tinypic.com/7x8rupj.jpg

Here's another pic of it cut across the fruit. You can see the
indentations
of the ridges clearly. As I say, it's about the size of a chestnut and a
little reminiscent of one when peeled and cooked.
http://i4.tinypic.com/7yofkfd.jpg

It looks very quince like, and it's the right time of year for a bush
full of yellow fruit. The major difference to the quince here is the
regular deep grooving of the outside. Is the bush spiky? Is the skin
waxy? does it smell 'perfumed'?

I think we've pretty much done the 'is it quince' (Chaenomeles or Cydonia)
on urg and if it is, nobody can get to it. As you so rightly say, it's the
grooving that stumps everyone. My friend describes it as looking exactly
like a small (chestnut sized) pumpkin. One person has said it seems more
likely to be of the Pomoceae family because of the seed arrangement. I'm
totally stumped by it but so, it seems, is everyone else. To us, it has a
faint citrus smell so one sort of contradicts the other. It's peculiar
because while fresh it smells more citrus-y but as it shrivels and dries
out
it's beginning to smell like apples going off!

All that sounds like the bush I have that was identified as a
Japonica/Japanese quince by a knowledgeable source. Having just braved
the wind and rain here's what the fruit off mine looks like:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/00f1c46a.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/108fc07f.jpg

not such regular pronounced ridging but it's definitely there.

Makes fantastic aromatic jelly (after a lot of effort) and has a
wonderful display of strong pink blossom in the spring and the beautiful
bright yellow fruit in the autumn. But also has lethal thorns that leave
me covered in cuts and scratches after a pruning session.

FYI it roots really easily from woody cuttings and the seeds seems to
sprout readily if the fruit is just left on the ground over winter.

It's my favourite plant in the garden, I inherited it as a largish bush
when I bought a house and take a cutting with me when I move.

(x-post added to urg)

Sorry but no, that's not it. The ridges are neither regular enough, nor
pronounced enough. We have a Chaenomeles on the wall outside the front of
the house and I've had a look at that one, too. My friend says it looks
like a minute pumpkin, which is a very good description. Ray thinks it
looks like a small (as in teeny) Satsuma once peeled and of course without
the white pith etc.

How about this:
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Chaenomeles_sp.htm
there's a couple photos of unripe fruit at the bottom of the page which
are much closer.

No, the shape is much more 'squashed' looking and the ridges absolutely
regular - at least on the two we were given.

Keep your friends close but keep your enemy closer
Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Ophelia" wrote:

Does passion fruit grow on passiflora?

it does on mine
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 4/12/07 17:05, in article ,
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor *" wrote:

Ophelia wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article
, "Mike...."
wrote:

Following up to
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

[...]

I think this is a bit like the Cydonia quince and the Chaenomeles quince,
isn't it?

One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Passion flower - Passiflora edulis and yes, delicious but unlikely to do
much fruiting in the UK.

I think one of the reasons people get a poor crop is that when grown
commercially they have cross polinators of different passion flowers
every so many plants (sorry don't know which one) but folk dont have the
space for that in their greenhouses :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 5/12/07 08:40, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 4/12/07 17:05, in article ,
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor *" wrote:

Ophelia wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article
, "Mike...."
wrote:

Following up to
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

[...]

I just don't think we get enough sun hours to get them to fruit and/or ripen
here. In a hot summer I had fruit on Passiflora caerulea outside in the
garden but it didn't ripen.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I just don't think we get enough sun hours to get them to fruit and/or ripen
| here. In a hot summer I had fruit on Passiflora caerulea outside in the
| garden but it didn't ripen.

I have had them ripen - but they weren't exciting.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.