Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Off to Harlow Carr today:)

Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 00:04, in article , "Anne
Welsh Jackson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Now-now! It's not anything usual, and I doubt very much if O ever sees
HTML code in her news/mail client. It's just nice to be all superior and
pat Tim (posthumously), Tim, whatever happened to him? and Andy on the
back(s) for maintaining strict internet/usenet standards and protocols
in the capabilities (and culpabilities) of our equipment - Oo-er!
Probably best ignored, Rusty. AnneJ and a minority of her acquaintances
are bringing here a feud they have against Ophelia that they are promoting
elsewhere. Rise above it.......... Better yet, let's ignore it. ;-)

Why not shut uppa yo face, Sacha? "Rusty" and I have been acquainted
for a great many years. How long exactly, I'm not sure, but probably into
the "teens" now? I, personally, have no feud with Ophelia - other than
when she posts in HTML, of course.

Whether Ophelia feels she has a feud with me is Ophelia's problem,
certainly not YOURS. So my advice would be to keep your long nose OUT!

Then take your grudges elsewhere. Rusty may have known you half his life
but that doesn't change the fact that you harass people from pillar to post.

Sorry but I also feel obliged to point out that I have no feud with
Ophelia, my only knowledge of Ophelia was of her very brief sojourn in
another group, that I did not feature in. I must confess I was a little
surprised to see that she was not immediately recognised by one of your
members who I believe she did have some dealings with, hence my rather
inappropriate smilie.
I like to smile.
This is all so very off topic as so many of the posts seem to be these
days. Speaking merely as one who mostly reads but rarely posts, and who
is very keen on gardening, it would be so nice to see this group return
to the kind of posts for which it was so highly recommended.
With that in mind may I add that it is a glorious day here in rural
Dorset and I am about to prepare a new bed to make an alpine garden.

Bobbie.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Rusty_Hinge wrote
The message
from "Pete C" contains these words:

Rusty Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

(!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
(HTML(HEAD

snippy
where you get that from please?

Ophelia posted in HTML by mistake.

A proper newsreader doesn't render HTML, it just displays the code if
it's there.

So those readers with HTML culpability wouldn't just convert the code to
a pretty-pretty page, I used the Edit/Find-Replace function to find all
and convert to (.

HTH

A *seriously* proper newsreader, such as the admirable Turnpike, takes
HTML and txt and treats those two impostors just the same. It ignores
the code (though you can right-click and see it rendered if you wish,
which is sometimes necessary for email), so I never saw it. But I do
think it's a bit unfair simply to quote the code crossly and not explain
what the problem is. Outlook Express does have a habit of choosing HTML
for email and presumably news as well, and after an update lots of
default things like that can get reset without your knowledge.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 08-03-2009, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote:

Hm! I didn't never not say any of that. Wot you accusing me of? eh?
Wot???

FFS get a clue! Posting in html is a big NO-NO!

Now-now! It's not anything usual, and I doubt very much if O ever sees
HTML code in her news/mail client. It's just nice to be all superior and
pat Tim (posthumously), Tim, whatever happened to him? and Andy
on the back(s) for maintaining strict internet/usenet standards and
protocols in the capabilities (and culpabilities) of our equipment -
Oo-er!

Never heard any word of Tim II leaving. Maybe he just slipped off,
into the ether, during one of the take-overs?

Nah, I meant that stoodent that helped to write the pogrom - there used
to be a pic of Tim C and Tim Wossname somewhere in ZIMACS

Don't worry too much about your equipment, I'm sure it functions
"chust perrrfect" (given the opportunity)!

Yank: "What's worn under the kilt?"

Jock: "Naethin's worrrn underrr th' kilt - ut's a' in perrrfect
worrrkin' orrrderrr!"

A parcel will be winging its way south, come the beginning of
next week... ;-))

Hopping from one foot to the other in Auntie Cipation...

--
Rusty
Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from bobharvey contains these words:
On 7 Mar, 09:15, "Ophelia" wrote:

Exactly what I need)

Lucky thing. I'm stuck in Germany in the pouring rain

Rain, rain, go away, come again in German-ay?

--
Rusty
Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 23:36:58 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

Rusty Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

(!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
(HTML(HEAD
snippy
where you get that from please?

Ophelia posted in HTML by mistake.

A proper newsreader doesn't render HTML, it just displays the code if
it's there.

Real news readers can cope with HTML nowadays.

Real newsreaders disdain to do so. It's only the Johnny-come-lately and
run to keep up with Muco$not ones which do.

--
Rusty

Old 08-03-2009, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

This is all so very off topic as so many of the posts seem to be these
days.

Don't worry - as spring springs, and things spring into life, it brings
a new purpose to urgling, and suddenly, there's a flood of on-topic
topics to pick from.

Speaking merely as one who mostly reads but rarely posts, and who
is very keen on gardening, it would be so nice to see this group return
to the kind of posts for which it was so highly recommended.

See above.

With that in mind may I add that it is a glorious day here in rural
Dorset and I am about to prepare a new bed to make an alpine garden.

The place for that is Lincolnshire - any raised bed or similar very soon
finds its way on to the map, complete with countours and a ski slope.

Mind you, skiing on a map...

--
Rusty
Old 08-03-2009, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:

Ophelia posted in HTML by mistake.

A proper newsreader doesn't render HTML, it just displays the code if
it's there.

Real news readers can cope with HTML nowadays.

Real newsreaders disdain to do so. It's only the Johnny-come-lately and
run to keep up with Muco$not ones which do.

I am tempted to start posting using MathML in response to everyone
who claims that HRML is acceptable. The main thing stopping me is
the effort of learning MathML. But, one of these days, I will get
irritated enough ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Sacha wrote:

Then take your grudges elsewhere. Rusty may have known you half his life
but that doesn't change the fact that you harass people from pillar to post.

And you don't, of course? What exactly is this about, then?
Because I won't toe your line? Seems like it to me!

Crap. While I agree with Rusty and you about HTML, what you posted
was gratuitously offensive - both to Ophelia and Sacha.

Many of the more revolting mailers and newsreaders will post in
stupid formats (often HTML, but also "Rich Text" and so on) unless
the user takes special action to stop them. I have no idea what
started this, as the original posting doesn't seem to have reached
me, but I regularly have that problem from people who are respected
colleagues and even close friends, who know that I don't use such
grotty software.

A person who deliberately inflicts us with such garbage deserves
pillorying, but one who does so by accident does not. God help me,
even I have done it when I had to use a really strange and disgusting
system for Email!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Agent has been around for a long time. Recently, in living memory, it
has been
updated to be able to display messages that are in either HTML or
plain text.
For the traditional users, turning on HTML processing is an option.

I rather think ZIMACS predates Agent. We are promised the facility for
reading HTML, but it will never write it.

--
Rusty
Old 08-03-2009, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 13:36:48 +0000 (GMT), wrote:
In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:

Ophelia posted in HTML by mistake.

A proper newsreader doesn't render HTML, it just displays the code if
it's there.

Real news readers can cope with HTML nowadays.

Real newsreaders disdain to do so. It's only the Johnny-come-lately and
run to keep up with Muco$not ones which do.

I am tempted to start posting using MathML in response to everyone
who claims that HRML is acceptable. The main thing stopping me is
the effort of learning MathML. But, one of these days, I will get
irritated enough ....

In General HTML is not acceptable on text only newsgroups, but
sometimes people
make mistakes.

I must say that it seldom happens. The occasional Gardenbanterer tries
to post pics though. I blame the ISPs though - in the Dark Ages, ISPs
often had their own news servers, and half the CB-ers in the country
moved over and took over Usenet, which was a mixed blessing. Now, it's
only a few dyed-in-the-wool purist ISPs like Zetnet which have news
servers of their own. Fortunately the MD is into Usenet...

--
Rusty

Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 5:04*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

wrote:
In article ,
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Sacha wrote:

Then take your grudges elsewhere. *Rusty may have known you half
his life
but that doesn't change the fact that you harass people from pillar
to post.

And you don't, of course? *What exactly is this about, then?
Because I won't toe your line? *Seems like it to me!
Crap. *While I agree with Rusty and you about HTML, what you posted
was gratuitously offensive - both to Ophelia and Sacha.

Put it down to a clash of personalities, or what you will.
As long as I persist in posting here, Sacha will be 'on my case'.
I don't subscribe to the mutual admiration society...
Sensible stuff snipped

You'll maybe have noticed that I'm not given to replying to our resident
troll - I did once, by mistake, though it was an innocent enough post.

I really ought to stop referring to him too, but the temptation, oh, the
temptation, and TIOBE I can resist anything but temptation. /E

--
Rusty

Oh tell me about it Rusty, me too!!!

Judith