Old 24-03-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default greenhouse or polytunnel

My greenhouse needs replacing, the big ones are expensive so I am
considering a polytunnel instead. I have plenty of room so finding somewhere
to put it will not be a problem.

I would welcome any comments that will help me make up my mind greenhouse or
polytunnel ?

kate

Old 24-03-2009, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
My greenhouse needs replacing, the big ones are expensive so I am
considering a polytunnel instead. I have plenty of room so finding
somewhere to put it will not be a problem.

I would welcome any comments that will help me make up my mind greenhouse
or polytunnel ?

kate

Polytunnels:
£/sq.m is a lot less.
Light transmission gets less each year as the plastic goes milky in colour.
Harder to ventilate, a door at each end vital. Hot air rises and unlikely to
have high level ventilation.
Doesn't need a brick base.
Quick to erect.

Greenhouse:
£/sq.m is a lot more.
Good light transmission.
Easy to replace a damaged pane.
Needs some sort of base.
Better heat retention (greenhouse effect and all that).
Not quick to erect.

Glad it's not me deciding!

mark

Old 24-03-2009, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

My greenhouse needs replacing, the big ones are expensive so I am
considering a polytunnel instead. I have plenty of room so finding
somewhere
to put it will not be a problem.

I would welcome any comments that will help me make up my mind
greenhouse or
polytunnel ?

You can compromise, and put together one out of Twinwall polycarbonate.
This won't be as cheap as a polytunnel, but will have better heat
retention than glass.

Or, if you cover loosely your polytunnel, then cut some pipe insulation
lengthways (most is already scored), press it over the hoops so that the
polythene is squished in and tightened, tape it in place, then cover
that lot with another layer of polythene, you get a 'double-glazed'
effect.

--
Rusty
Old 25-03-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
My greenhouse needs replacing, the big ones are expensive so I am
considering a polytunnel instead. I have plenty of room so finding

somewhere
to put it will not be a problem.

I would welcome any comments that will help me make up my mind

greenhouse or
polytunnel ?

kate

An interesting discussion here on the very topic:

http://tinyurl.com/d78tl8

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 25-03-2009, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
My greenhouse needs replacing, the big ones are expensive so I am
considering a polytunnel instead. I have plenty of room so finding

somewhere
to put it will not be a problem.

I would welcome any comments that will help me make up my mind

greenhouse or
polytunnel ?

kate

Thank you all very much for your answers, it does look like a polytunnel is
the way to go, I think :-))

kate

Old 26-03-2009, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
Thank you all very much for your answers, it does look like a polytunnel
is
the way to go, I think :-))

Depending on the size you may need planning permission.
--

Martin

I don't think I will be going that big but I will check it out, thanks
Martin

Old 26-03-2009, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

I remembered the guy with the world garden at Lullington Castle having
problems
with needing planning permission for a polytunnel. It wasn't clear what the
restrictions are.

None, I believe, as it worked out.

A fairly local council demanded a farmer apply for planning permission
for his polytunnels (acres thereof, IIRC) and he appealed, and the
council was overruled.

This would probably apply to residential properties so long as local
ameneties weren't affeceted and they weren't too much of an eyesore.

After all, there's no way they could be considered as permanent structures.

If in doubt, post the question in uk.legal.moderated

--
Rusty
Old 26-03-2009, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 24, 9:10*am, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
My greenhouse needs replacing, the big ones are expensive so I am
considering a polytunnel instead. I have plenty of room so finding somewhere
to put it will not be a problem.

I would welcome any comments that will help me make up my mind greenhouse or
polytunnel ?

kate

We have just ordered a new greenhouse Kate and on the advice of our
neighbours we have ordered a conventional one rather than a poly
tunnel. However ours will not have glass but polycarbonate as used by
most people here. I'm told glass might be a problem because of weight
of snow.

Those who have polytunnels have listed disadvantages as replacing the
polythene frequently (due to extremes of weather) and that the doors
are not stable. It will be interesting to hear what you have bought?

Judith
Old 26-03-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Those who have polytunnels have listed disadvantages as replacing the
polythene frequently (due to extremes of weather) and that the doors
are not stable. It will be interesting to hear what you have bought?

One of my friends has had a polytunnel for years - more than ten, I'd
guess, and he has no problems.

--
Rusty
Old 26-03-2009, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Folks

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Those who have polytunnels have listed disadvantages as replacing the
polythene frequently (due to extremes of weather) and that the doors
are not stable. It will be interesting to hear what you have bought?

One of my friends has had a polytunnel for years - more than ten, I'd
guess, and he has no problems.

It seems that the key to long life on the polytunnel plastic is to make
sure that it's stretched tightly over the framework.

Our tunnel is in a fairly exposed location, and get some serious
sou'westerly gales. The plastic is held along the sides on a metal
channel system which clamps to the main hoops, and can be tensioned by
judicious walloping with a lump hammer to get the plastic tight...

Our supplier reckoned on 5 - 8 years life from the plastic (which
is available in various prices/grades.. - we're in our 3rd year....

We certainly couldn't have afforded a greenhouse 12' x 27ft! -
the polytunnel was more affordable...

Adrian - S/W Ireland

Old 28-03-2009, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Do you know Judith I am more confused than ever, members of my family all
have different solutions , revamping present greenhouse/putting on an
extension/ having a new greenhouse or a combination of all the suggestions
such as revamping greenhouse and having a polytunnel, I really don't know as
yet.
I am watching your greenhouse query with interest.
Thanks all for the interest and comments.

kate

Old 28-03-2009, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 28, 2:11*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
[...]

It's certainly an adventure though isn't it? :-) I was also confused
but I listened to neighbours, looked at what they were using and then
came to my own conclusions although I was leaning, at one time, very
much on the poly tunnel idea. I think if we were more sheltered, I
would have gone with a poly tunnel, does this help Kate?

Judith
Old 28-03-2009, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Yes I think it does Judith, I am leaning towards revamping my old greenhouse
and having a polytunnel, best of both worlds. I was just about to go outside
and look for the best site but we are in the middle of a sleet storm,
chucking it down here in Gloucestershire

kate

Old 28-03-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

We have just ordered a new greenhouse Kate and on the advice of our
neighbours we have ordered a conventional one rather than a poly
tunnel. However ours will not have glass but polycarbonate as used by
most people here. I'm told glass might be a problem because of weight
of snow.

Twinwall polycarbonate is more rigid, and provides some double-glazing
effect. It is, though, somewhat mre expensive than single-thickness
polycarbonate sheet.

Single-thickness stuff requires reinforcing to prevent it bending (and
falling out of the frame) in the wind, or under weight of snow.

Those who have polytunnels have listed disadvantages as replacing the
polythene frequently (due to extremes of weather) and that the doors
are not stable. It will be interesting to hear what you have bought?

Do you know Judith I am more confused than ever, members of my family all
have different solutions , revamping present greenhouse/putting on an
extension/ having a new greenhouse or a combination of all the suggestions
such as revamping greenhouse and having a polytunnel, I really don't
know as
yet.
I am watching your greenhouse query with interest.
Thanks all for the interest and comments.

Methinks your newsreader isn't quoting properly...

--
Rusty
Old 28-03-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Methinks your newsreader isn't quoting properly...

Microsoft rubbish.

Is that the latest edition of OE?

--
Rusty