Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mail Order Plants

On 2009-06-04 13:43:00 +0100, Martin said:

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:57:09 +0100, Sacha wrote:
snip
I do not believe this about-face. One way or the other Crowe is lying
or has lied and is playing his usual hand of "I did it it for your own
good" or "you should read what I really wrote" etc. We've seen this
sort of thing from him dozens of times but this time, his desire to
boast has got him into hot water.
IMO, he did exactly what he said in the first place and now is
pretending it's all some urban myth, using one of his favourite
bugbears to do so, because a member of urg is consulting the police
about it. What kind of nutcase puts out a claim like that and then
tells another that he hopes it's been a lesson to him on his computer's
security?! I think he's guilty as hell and that finally, his
vainglorious boasting has turned on him and has potentially put him up
to his neck in real trouble.

Thousands still believe he is ***the*** President of the RAF Association or
whatever it was he claimed to be.

Certainly, he tried to pass himself off as such but this is a lot more serious.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 04-06-2009, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 12:41:45 +0100, "RG" said:

"Judith in France" wrote in message

On

Jun 4, 11:57 am, Sacha wrote:

I am not computer savvy, it would be pointless pretending I was, I
would be sussed out in a second. However, I got my husband to read
this thread; he says we are behind a firewall and we are safe but he
has taken the post seriously and is to get advice on it from some real
savvy computer people, I'll let you know the outcome as this is quite
worrying. We have a lot of financial matters on our computers; the
thought of someone being able to ... well. I have no doubt the claims
made earlier will be pursued by someone as this is quite dangerous if
it is true.

Let's be clear about this.
* If you have a proper firewall and virus checker you are safe.
* If you don't, you are vulnerable.

You should always be careful, and there are many sources of good advice.

Ignore fools like Mike Crowe who purport to advise you. As Sacha says,
either his original story was a lie or his denial of it is a lie. In
either case his opinion is worthless, and his gibbering excuses now are
just plain embarrassing. His family would be ashamed if they could see
it.

I do not believe that Crowe posted that as a security warning to this
group. Even he knows how many highly computer savvy people there are
here and such a warning, coming, as it did, with absolutely no
relevance, would be totally redundant. He couldn't resist bragging
about something 'clever' he's involved himself with. It's glaringly
obvious that he started backtracking the very next time he posted after
he'd been told this was encouraging a criminal act and that the police
could become involved. In the long and wearisome annals of Crowe
stupidity, this particular attempt to counter lies with more lies and
wriggling, takes some beating. He is saying that I described his claim
as an urban myth. I did not. I said that *he* is trying to claim that
now because he thinks it expedient. I've never heard of such an urban
myth because we all know there are people who hack into computers for
gain or 'fun'. IMO, the more he wriggles, twists and lies the more
convincing it becomes that he had/has every intention of finding out
how his techie hacked. More than once he declared that he had watched
someone do it and that he was 'only' reporting what he'd seen.
*Now* he's pretending it was all a 'security warning' and is twisting
my posts, RG's and Judith's as if he were trying to get people to thank
him for it.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
On 2009-06-04 13:43:00 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

""Tried""

Well the 3,000 members know I am President for starters :-))

Should you doubt it of course, why not come to RAF Cosford on Sunday 28th
June when as President, I will welcome Air Chief Marshal Sir Christopher
Moran KCB. OBE. MVO. ADC. MA. BSc. RAF. Commander in Chief. Air Command who
will be taking the salute at the parade?

Entry is free, but get there early

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..

On 2009-06-04 13:43:00 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

Impersonating an Air Marshall is not such a trivial thing.
--

Martin

Kindly show where I have impersonated an Air Chief Marshall

Kind regards

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 13:43:00 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

As I recall, he worded a post ambiguously so as to make himself appear
more important than he is and started his usual "show me where I
said......." games when he was rumbled. That's not unusual for him.
To impersonate I imagine one would have to actually turn up in uniform
to which one is not entitled. Going by appearances, I don't think
anyone would be fooled by Crowe making that attempt!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2009-06-04 14:17:30 +0100, Martin said:

Thousands still believe he is ***the*** President of the RAF Association or
whatever it was he claimed to be.

Certainly, he tried to pass himself off as such but this is a lot more serious.

Impersonating an Air Marshall is not such a trivial thing.

As I recall, he worded a post ambiguously so as to make himself appear
more important than he is and started his usual "show me where I
said......." games when he was rumbled. That's not unusual for him.

Actually, here I will stand up for him. He did NOT claim to be an
Air Marshall, there really is a National Service RAF Association Parade
at RAF Cosford on 28th June, you do not need to be a member to turn up,
and I am sure that it would be possible to approach the person who
introduces the Air Marshall and ask whether he is the Mike Crowe of
this thread.

I failed to find his name on the obvious Web page, but that could be
for several reasons:

http://www.rafa.org.uk/history-centralcouncil.asp

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Judith in France wrote
On 2009-06-04 10:54:12 +0100, Martin said:

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:41:51 +0100, "RG" wrote:

No-one accused you of hacking anything. We took at face value your claim
that your friend was hacking into peoples' computers.

Now that you have admitted your story was a pack of lies, I will not take
the matter further.
However I cannot speak for others, and if someone else has called in the
police it will be *you* who is guilty of wasting police time for making up
the story.

I sincerely hope that you have learned a lesson about your
behaviour on this
and other newsgroups.
This thread will remain on Google, Yahoo, etc for future reference.

and all those *"forums" that hack stuff from urg and pretend it is
all part of
their forum.

The point surely is that nobody now knows whether this is another of
Crowe's lies? *He told us he had been present when someone had hacked
into an urgler's computer and that he intended to find out how that is
done.
He's changing his story to pretend it's all some urban myth. *How do we
know he's not lying to cover his back having been threatened with the
police? *Why would a man who says now he barely knows how to turn on
his computer, think that this group which is full of *very*
computer-savvy people needs any kind of lesson in computer security
from him? *Even his over-stuffed ego can't render him that stupid,
surely?
[...]

If it's true. The stuff about getting into someone else's computer -
it's possible, of course, computers get hacked all the time, but it
takes a lot of time and effort and usually some kind of back-door trojan
to open the door. If you look at a firewall log you can see innumerable
fly-by attempts to look in, but most of these are automatic and even the
bog-standard Windows firewall will block most of them. If you're in a
network behind a router you should be OK unless you've accidentally
downloaded a trojan, which is why it's good sense to run something like
Spybot Search and Destroy every so often to clear out anything remotely
smelly.

But monitoring a newsgroup in the way he describes is not possible.
What's more likely is that he's just looked at the headers, where
there's a list of all those who have actually responded to a thread.
But even there, anyone who posts through gardenbanter or googlegroups or
even news.individual.net, will only be identified by the posting
organisation. *Email* message headers usually include IP information
that can be traced back to the sender (if the headers haven't been
doctored, as they are in most spam), but usenet posts have message-ids
that are so encrypted that it would take the security department of the
ISP involved to trace the sender.

In any case, I can't take anyone seriously who can't even manage to
reply above the sig separator.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 04-06-2009, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 12:41*pm, "RG" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
On Jun 4, 11:57 am, Sacha wrote:

[...]

I don't read Mike because as he has claimed many times in the past; he
isn't a gardener; so why bother reading him?

Judith
Old 04-06-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 1:33*pm, wrote:
In article ,

RG wrote:

Let's be clear about this.
* If you have a proper firewall and virus checker you are safe.
* If you don't, you are vulnerable.

Nope. *Only the second is. *You need to do a LOT more than that to be
even reasonably safe. *While it's not beyond my abilities, it is way
beyond the effort I am prepared to expend, so even I live dangerously.

But those two are fairly easy ways of improving security.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We have a virus checker that is updated daily.

Judith
Old 04-06-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 1:48*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:33:47 +0100 (BST), wrote:
In article ,
RG wrote:

Let's be clear about this.
* If you have a proper firewall and virus checker you are safe.
* If you don't, you are vulnerable.

Nope. *Only the second is. *You need to do a LOT more than that to be
even reasonably safe. *While it's not beyond my abilities, it is way
beyond the effort I am prepared to expend, so even I live dangerously.

But those two are fairly easy ways of improving security.

Gibson Research offer a free tool to check the transparency or otherwise of your
PChttps://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
--

Martin

Thanks Martin, I will get Edward to take a look at this.

Judith

Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, 'Mike' wrote

Thousands still believe he is ***the*** President of the RAF Association
or
whatever it was he claimed to be.
--

Martin

Well the 3,000 members do for starters :-))

Should you doubt it of course, why not come to RAF Cosford on Sunday 28th
June when as President, I will welcome Air Chief Marshal Sir Christopher
Moran KCB. OBE. MVO. ADC. MA. BSc. RAF. Commander in Chief. Air Command who
will be taking the salute at the parade?

Entry is free, but get there early

Kindest regards

Mike

well, it's odd, Mike. You're not mentioned on the RAFA site
http://www.rafa.org.uk/history-centralcouncil.asp

a brisk googling you reveals that you spent 10 years in the RAF and
actually seem associated with an organisation called The National
Service (Royal Air Force) Association.

However, the URL given for this http://www.nsrafa.com
goes to a holding page actually advertising online dating in Spanish.

I'm sure you do a good job somewhere, but I think it very unfair to the
genuine RAFA to claim so much.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 12:31:16 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-06-04 10:54:12 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

I have talked to my computer adviser about this and received his
opinion and of course, I'm not going to disclose what he has said on
here. *It seems that Fuschia, who has not yet posted today, intended to
consult the police on the matter. *Whether he has or not, we don't
know, obviously. *He may have decided to get a techie to check out his
computer first. *Unfortunately for Crowe (who I see is now trying to
accuse urg of aggression, which, *having told us he's watched someone
hack into one of our computers and wants to learn the tricks himself,
is just outrageous even by his standards!) his very unpleasant and
boastful nature makes me think it all too likely that he'd enjoy
learning how to get into others' computers and have some sort of 'hold'
over them that he could then drop hints about. *Unfortunately for him, *
his uncontrollable compulsion to brag means that this time he's shown
his hand rather too openly and has got himself into potentially serious
trouble if anyone detects a 'visitor' on their computer.
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Oh dear it looks as if he has said too much on usenet and it could
well come back and bite him on the bum; legally.

Judith
Old 04-06-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:07:56 +0100 (BST), wrote:

One glance would tell you the answer without asking.

I failed to find his name on the obvious Web page, but that could be
for several reasons:

http://www.rafa.org.uk/history-centralcouncil.asp

I'm surprised the site hasn;t overloaded.
--

Why you are so interested in this I do not know, but since it has come up,
the FACTS are these...

1. He claimed to be President of The RAF Association, which is a very
prestigious organisation.
2. He was challenged, and confirmed that yes, he was President of The RAF
Association.
3. It was then pointed out to him that the President of The RAF Association
was actually Air Marshal somebody-or-other.
4. Having been caught out he then said that he was actually President of
"an" RAF Association, by which he meant something he had helped to start
called the NSRAFA.
5. The RAF Association are kind enough to allow the NSRAFA, along with many
other minor groups and the general public, to attend some of their functions
such as the one just
mentioned.

This is just standard bullshit, like his claims about life at sea when he
actually spent his National Service as a wireman on a shore base, and his
suggestive talk about how many medals he might have.

No doubt he will take issue with the above, but it's all recorded on Google
Groups for anyone who wants to look.

Mike will of course be highly delighted that you continue to takes an
interest in his lies and half-truths.

RG

Old 04-06-2009, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

well, it's odd, Mike. You're not mentioned on the RAFA site
http://www.rafa.org.uk/history-centralcouncil.asp

Not at all surprising. I am nothing to do with them :-))

a brisk googling you reveals that you spent 10 years in the RAF

Wrong

and actually seem associated with an organisation called The National
Service (Royal Air Force) Association.

Correct. I founded it and I am their President :-)

Try http://www.nsrafa.org

I'm sure you do a good job somewhere, but I think it very unfair to the
genuine RAFA to claim so much.

"I" don't claim :-))
Other do :-))

Kind regards

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Oh dear it looks as if he has said too much on usenet and it could
well come back and bite him on the bum; legally.

Judith

In the words of a once great troll who did frequent these parts, "I think
not"

Kindest regards

Mike