Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Its wild

Anyone else have the wild windy weather this morning? I have just
finished clearing up the branches from the garden, but I think I
will have more to clear later as it's still gusting. As usual the
Tulip tree has fared worse, its branches seem quite brittle. A
long dead holly has fallen at last, so the chainsaw will have to
come out later.
To stop them being trodden into the house I have also swept up a
2 gallon bucket full of yew berries, does anyone know of a use
for them?

Mike

Old 03-10-2009, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-03 11:39:15 +0100, "Muddymike" said:

Anyone else have the wild windy weather this morning? I have just
finished clearing up the branches from the garden, but I think I
will have more to clear later as it's still gusting. As usual the
Tulip tree has fared worse, its branches seem quite brittle. A
long dead holly has fallen at last, so the chainsaw will have to
come out later.
To stop them being trodden into the house I have also swept up a
2 gallon bucket full of yew berries, does anyone know of a use
for them?

Mike

More yews?
It's pretty windy here but not as you describe, though I won't be
surprised if it gets a lot worse, somehow.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-10-2009, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-03 11:39:15 +0100, "Muddymike"
said:

[...]

Its vicious up here (top end of the Wirral), looks horrible across Liverpool
Bay, the shipping forecast last night was giving us Beaufort 10

John

Old 03-10-2009, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Anyone else have the wild windy weather this morning? I have just finished
clearing up the branches from the garden, but I think I will have more to
clear later as it's still gusting. As usual the Tulip tree has fared
worse, its branches seem quite brittle. A long dead holly has fallen at
last, so the chainsaw will have to come out later.
To stop them being trodden into the house I have also swept up a 2 gallon
bucket full of yew berries, does anyone know of a use for them?

Mike

Windy in Norfolk.

mark

Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , John T
writes

On 2009-10-03 11:39:15 +0100, "Muddymike"
said:

[...]

And Manchisstoh. My garden covered in debris from nearby 50ft
Lombardy poplars. :-(

Here's the pressure situation:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/..._pressure.html

Should ease by late Sunday...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote ...
John T writes
"Sacha" wrote ...

"Muddymike" said:

[...]

Bit windy here this morning, nothing special, grey skys most of the day
although the winds calmed down now. But still no rain.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Anyone else have the wild windy weather this morning? I have just finished
clearing up the branches from the garden, but I think I will have more to
clear later as it's still gusting. As usual the Tulip tree has fared
worse, its branches seem quite brittle. A long dead holly has fallen at
last, so the chainsaw will have to come out later.
To stop them being trodden into the house I have also swept up a 2 gallon
bucket full of yew berries, does anyone know of a use for them?

Very very windy here in Leics too. My cat & I are holed up until tomorrow -
we ain't stupid!

Tina

Mike

Old 03-10-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-03 18:20:13 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Anyone else have the wild windy weather this morning? I have just finished
clearing up the branches from the garden, but I think I will have more to
clear later as it's still gusting. As usual the Tulip tree has fared
worse, its branches seem quite brittle. A long dead holly has fallen at
last, so the chainsaw will have to come out later.
To stop them being trodden into the house I have also swept up a 2 gallon
bucket full of yew berries, does anyone know of a use for them?

Very very windy here in Leics too. My cat & I are holed up until tomorrow -
we ain't stupid!

Tina

We have a lull here - almost no wind. Perhaps it's the eye of the
storm, though we've had nothing but fairly strong winds today? The
sky from my study window boils up from Dartmoor tonight and has been
operatic in the last 20 minutes. It became charcoal grey and moved
swiftly towards us and I thought we were in for a deluge - it was
terribly threatening. Then a streak of pink appeared, then another of
blue and it all moved to the south for a bit. Now we have more
charcoal grey coming over, edged with pale pink and a lot of aqua-blue
above. It's like a Caravaggio.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Anyone else have the wild windy weather this morning? I have just finished
clearing up the branches from the garden, but I think I will have more to
clear later as it's still gusting. As usual the Tulip tree has fared
worse, its branches seem quite brittle. A long dead holly has fallen at
last, so the chainsaw will have to come out later.
To stop them being trodden into the house I have also swept up a 2 gallon
bucket full of yew berries, does anyone know of a use for them?

Mike

Very windy all day up ere in Aberdeen. Soil blown off fields, branches down
etc. Ruined me sweet peas :-(

Chris S

Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Gordon H" wrote ...
John T writes
"Sacha" wrote ...

"Muddymike" said:

Anyone else have the wild windy weather this morning? I have just
finished clearing up the branches from the garden, but I think I
will have more to clear later as it's still gusting. As usual the
Tulip tree has fared worse, its branches seem quite brittle. A
long dead holly has fallen at last, so the chainsaw will have to
come out later.

Snip

Some gusty winds here in W. Dorset, but not too bad. Spent a couple of
hours picking brambles and sloes this afternoon. A couple of pounds of
each. As there had been a short burst of rain earlier it meant I
couldn't cut the grass properly .... I had been reminded that we have
visitors coming early next week!! But I digress. Loads of lovely sloes -
beautifully plump and ripe. Any suggestions as to the absolutely best
way to make sloe gin? I have tried a couple of methods in the past but
somehow the product has missed the mark. I realise this requires a
subjective opinion and know it's a bit OT but any improvement on
previous efforts will, I know, be welcomed by the family at Xmas.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Chris S writes

Very windy all day up ere in Aberdeen. Soil blown off fields, branches down
etc. Ruined me sweet peas :-(

Windy in Leeds. Large branch off a horse chestnut in the park opposite.
Reports of other trees down here and there, but nothing major (I speak
as one who slept through the storm of 1987 and woke to find our car
penned in by two poplar trees, and at least another 20 trees down along
the short road we lived in).

Brugmansias look unhappy - don't know whether it is pure mechanical
damage or the drying effect of a day of wind.

I'm just about to go out and collect the windfall mulberries and apples
.... I expect to be some time ...
--
Kay
Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:24:00 +0100, K wrote:

Chris S writes

Very windy all day up ere in Aberdeen. Soil blown off fields, branches
down
etc. Ruined me sweet peas :-(

Windy in Leeds. Large branch off a horse chestnut in the park opposite.
Reports of other trees down here and there, but nothing major (I speak
as one who slept through the storm of 1987 and woke to find our car
penned in by two poplar trees, and at least another 20 trees down along
the short road we lived in).

Brugmansias look unhappy - don't know whether it is pure mechanical
damage or the drying effect of a day of wind.

I'm just about to go out and collect the windfall mulberries and apples
... I expect to be some time ...

It is just normal windy in Sheffield. Yesterday afternoon was really wild.
At one point the sky was full of black plastic bin liners.
--

Martin

Full sun and no wind in this bit of Norfolk.

mark

Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-04 13:00:06 +0100, Martin said:

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:24:00 +0100, K wrote:

Chris S writes

Very windy all day up ere in Aberdeen. Soil blown off fields, branches down
etc. Ruined me sweet peas :-(

Windy in Leeds. Large branch off a horse chestnut in the park opposite.
Reports of other trees down here and there, but nothing major (I speak
as one who slept through the storm of 1987 and woke to find our car
penned in by two poplar trees, and at least another 20 trees down along
the short road we lived in).

Brugmansias look unhappy - don't know whether it is pure mechanical
damage or the drying effect of a day of wind.

I'm just about to go out and collect the windfall mulberries and apples
... I expect to be some time ...

It is just normal windy in Sheffield. Yesterday afternoon was really wild.
At one point the sky was full of black plastic bin liners.

Totally calm here but overcast - still no rain, though. It's been weeks.....

Old 05-10-2009, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:55:52 +0100, Gopher wrote:

I realise this requires a
subjective opinion and know it's a bit OT but any improvement on
previous efforts will, I know, be welcomed by the family at Xmas.

There's your problem: this year's Sloe Gin shouldn't be sampled until /
next/ xmas. Pound of sloes, frosted (cheat and use the freezer!) and
pricked, pound of sugar, bottle of gin. Turn weekly for six months.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Derek Turner
writes
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:55:52 +0100, Gopher wrote:

I realise this requires a
subjective opinion and know it's a bit OT but any improvement on
previous efforts will, I know, be welcomed by the family at Xmas.

There's your problem: this year's Sloe Gin shouldn't be sampled until /
next/ xmas. Pound of sloes, frosted (cheat and use the freezer!) and
pricked, pound of sugar, bottle of gin. Turn weekly for six months.

Sounds very familiar:-)) I've heard of folks adding the odd pinch of
ginger and other bits. Your process is almost exactly what I do and we
will be trying last year's this coming Xmas. Don't normally turn for as
long as 6 months however. Last couple of lots just seem to have been a
but "thin" - not as good as previous years. Maybe due to early cessation
of turning. Many thanks.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!