Old 31-10-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Where did the green cabbage go?

Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?
Old 31-10-2009, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-31 17:11:58 +0000, lloyd said:

Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

Can't you find Savoy cabbage?
--
Sacha

Old 31-10-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-31 17:11:58 +0000, lloyd said:

Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

Can't you find Savoy cabbage?

I grew some curly kale for the first time this year. That is quite
tasty. I think green cabbages are tastier than white ones anyway. The
darker the leaf the stronger the flavour - in my opinion.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 31-10-2009, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-10-31 17:11:58 +0000, lloyd said:

Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?
And where did it disappear?

Can't you find Savoy cabbage?

Or Kilaton? Pricey seeds but excellent results!

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 31-10-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-31 17:11:58 +0000, lloyd said:

Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

Can't you find Savoy cabbage?

That's another one. The savoy cabbage used to be such a tasty, classy
cabbage (separate from the green cabbage)..these days it looks and
feels dried out and tasteless that I stopped buying it ten years ago.
I still remember when I discovered it though, gosh it was lovely.

Old 31-10-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:47:25 +0100, David in Normandy

On 2009-10-31 17:11:58 +0000, lloyd said:

Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

Can't you find Savoy cabbage?

I grew some curly kale for the first time this year. That is quite
tasty. I think green cabbages are tastier than white ones anyway. The
darker the leaf the stronger the flavour - in my opinion.

I wonder if that's fact, and if so why have they done away with it at
the supermarket? Can't even get frozen cabbage now!
Old 31-10-2009, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

lloyd writes

On 2009-10-31 17:11:58 +0000, lloyd said:

Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

Can't you find Savoy cabbage?

I grew some curly kale for the first time this year. That is quite
tasty. I think green cabbages are tastier than white ones anyway. The
darker the leaf the stronger the flavour - in my opinion.

I wonder if that's fact, and if so why have they done away with it at
the supermarket? Can't even get frozen cabbage now!

You need to change your supermarket
--
Kay
Old 31-10-2009, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

On 2009-10-31 17:11:58 +0000, lloyd said:

Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

Can't you find Savoy cabbage?

I grew some curly kale for the first time this year. That is quite
tasty. I think green cabbages are tastier than white ones anyway. The
darker the leaf the stronger the flavour - in my opinion.

Curly Kale tastes much better after the frosts have been at it!
Old 31-10-2009, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

I don't know about cabbage but a couple of years ago I moved from East
Bershire to South Somerset. That meant going from being 10 minutes walk
from Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose to the nearest supermarket being
Morrisons a 5 mile drive (well, maybe one bus a day but timed for school so
makes for a long stay for a quick shop) away. Anyway, result is I now shop
in the local village and it's the meat that gets me. Pork, in particular,
actually tastes of pork. So my advice is not to change your supermarket so
much as change from a supermarket to an independent greengrocer, or a
farmers market or something of that ilk.

Old 31-10-2009, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

lloyd wrote:
Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

I grew white cabbages this year and they are absolutely lovely - very
sweet, although possibly a slightly delicate taste for those who prefer
their leafy greens a bit darker?

Old 31-10-2009, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:35:12 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message
.. .
Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

I don't know about cabbage but a couple of years ago I moved from East
Bershire to South Somerset. That meant going from being 10 minutes walk
from Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose to the nearest supermarket being
Morrisons a 5 mile drive (well, maybe one bus a day but timed for school so
makes for a long stay for a quick shop) away. Anyway, result is I now shop
in the local village and it's the meat that gets me. Pork, in particular,
actually tastes of pork. So my advice is not to change your supermarket so
much as change from a supermarket to an independent greengrocer, or a
farmers market or something of that ilk.

Or if you live in an area where veggie-boxes are delivered, try those.
Graham, you should be in the area covered by Riverford. Their veg are
wonderful, but a small box costs more per week than I pay for my
allotment for a year. £8 for allotment, £8.95 for a small box of veg.
Lloyd, look for a proper greengrocer as others have suggested. They
do still exist and we need to support them.
The fresher and greener the cabbage the more vitamins you get from
them.

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-10-2009, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote ...
Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

It hasn't from all supermarkets, and certainly not from allotments.
We have Savoys and Winter Tundra cabbages on the plot atm together with two
varieties of Sprout to extend the season and also some Caulis which should
head up about April. The summer cabbages tend to be sweeter and less strong
tasting that the winter stuff but if you want a nice taste grow some Cavolo
Nero kale, wonderful flavour and the plants look so good they would grace a
flower border.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-10-2009, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-31 20:35:12 +0000, "Graham Harrison"
said:

"lloyd" wrote in message
Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

I don't know about cabbage but a couple of years ago I moved from East
Bershire to South Somerset. That meant going from being 10 minutes
walk from Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose to the nearest supermarket
being Morrisons a 5 mile drive (well, maybe one bus a day but timed for
school so makes for a long stay for a quick shop) away. Anyway,
result is I now shop in the local village and it's the meat that gets
me. Pork, in particular, actually tastes of pork. So my advice is
not to change your supermarket so much as change from a supermarket to
an independent greengrocer, or a farmers market or something of that
ilk.

That's how we shop here and it's a world of difference to supermarket
stuff. We have one member of the staff who's famous for her road kill.
If she sees that a tractor & trailer has dropped leeks or cabbages or
potatoes, or whatever, on the road, she stops her car, hops out and
picks them up. Then she brings them here and distributes them. You
can't get a lot fresher than that - and free!
--
Sacha

Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:35:12 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message
.. .
Is it just me or is the white, tasteless, sanitised lump of nothing
they call cabbage in the supermarkets these days really that bad, or
was the green much tastier and better for us?

And where did it disappear?

I don't know about cabbage but a couple of years ago I moved from East
Bershire to South Somerset. That meant going from being 10 minutes walk
from Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose to the nearest supermarket being
Morrisons a 5 mile drive (well, maybe one bus a day but timed for school so
makes for a long stay for a quick shop) away. Anyway, result is I now shop
in the local village and it's the meat that gets me. Pork, in particular,
actually tastes of pork. So my advice is not to change your supermarket so
much as change from a supermarket to an independent greengrocer, or a
farmers market or something of that ilk.

We do have a local market shop along the main road some way from us
which I have been to a few times, He's the sort of character that puts
all the nice stuff on top of the display and the dodgy stuff in your
bag. Though much of it looks fairly ropey anyway.Maybe I was biased
anyway to the nice clean supermarkets, who do have set standards for
our own safety etc and their brainwashing worked! I'll give him
another go with an open mind.

The person who said about picking up the tractor roadkill made me
laugh lol we had lots of that here at harvest and I decided not to
pick any of the veg up in case it was a crop experiment that was not
fit for human consumption or something. Now where on earth did that
come from! lol

Thanks for all your advice guys on this thread. I might just grow a
couple too, though I do hate fighting with the creatures just waiting
for *another* one to come along every minute.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
Lloyd, look for a proper greengrocer as others have suggested. They
do still exist and we need to support them.

We had one for about 6 months, after I spent years grumbling to my mum
that the only fruit+veg options nearby were Somerfield or Co-op. Then
it closed cos people dropped off using it.
(My 3 year old still complains and wants to "go and see the fruit man"
on the way home every Mon + Weds!)