Old 14-11-2009, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default To pee or not to pee?

alan.holmes writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

vicky wrote ...
wafflycat wrote:
A also have a Shewee... every lady cyclist should have one ;-)

Umm. I'm sure I'm being very unimaginative here, but what difference
does cycling make to the requirement for one?

Much easier when out cycling the wilds of the country lanes and the only
place to 'go' is that large bed of nettles...

Oh right, so not specifically cycling as "wandering far from home"
aspect. That's ... kind of a relief. (As someone who uses a bike to
get from A to B rather than for the scenery, it didn't really click in
my brain). I prsume it would be equally useful to hikers, orienteers,
campers, etc.

And if you get caught for any time in serious stationary traffic on a
Motorway, no point in being prudish, happened to me on the M25 in Essex
and on a road near Bordeaux.

And you used a 'Sheewee'?

I'd love to have seen it if he had! ;-)
--
Kay
Old 14-11-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 11:01:19 +0000, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ said:

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 05:49:38 -0500, wrote:

I thought I was the only older gent here until I seen Sacha's post. What
young folk don't seem to think about is when you get older the Doctors
put you on all sorts of prescription medicines .

Oh dear, I wonder what drug Sacha has been on!!

I don't *think* my voice is getting deeper. ;-) Does Yorkshire Tea count?

Surely you do NOT drink Yorkshire Tea?

How dreadfull!

Alan

We certainly do and love it. Sorry, Alan. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
alan.holmes writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

vicky wrote ...
wafflycat wrote:
[...]

That was my thought exactly!(:-)

Alan

--
Kay

Old 14-11-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 15:33:29 +0000, "alan.holmes" said:

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:32:27 -0000, "Muddymike"
wrote:

The question is answered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/8357134.stm

Don't worry is from the BBC so is quite safe to open.

The very article has just been discussed by Jeremy Vine on Radio 2.
Why are people so prudish? I know that Adam Hart-Davis had a
straw-bale toilet in his Bristol garden and encouraged male visitors
to use it. Why are some people so prudish?
It's tough being a woman, but Google for Shewee.

Pam in Bristol

Dear husband & I pee in a bucket kept next to loo. Every day the contents
are then poured on the compost heap. No need to display bodily parts to
all & sundry or to leap up & down waving knickers in the air as some of
the more prudish seem to think putting pee on the compost heap involves.

A also have a Shewee... every lady cyclist should have one ;-)

I think I'll stick to the Heewee!(:-)

Alan

Is that the same as Haweh the lads?

Old 14-11-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

"Martin" wrote in message
news On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:27:05 GMT, Janet Baraclough

wrote:

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

The question is answered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/8357134.stm

Don't worry is from the BBC so is quite safe to open.

The NTS must have been reading advice on urg

reading = copying from? )
--

I can't believe it's attracted all this comment, it's a non-question.

As we've all discovered, plant material composts. It sets off by itself,
with or without urine. I've had as small an amount as a wheelbarrow full
of weeds set off. Urinating on the compost stems from there being no
toilets on allotments. AFAIK it does no harm, but if you don't do it the
stuff composts anyway.

Steve

Certainly but AIUI, it's acting as an accelerant. I must admit I don't
quite see why this compost is needed so quickly but.....!

There is some stuff on salecannot remember the name but it is marketed as an
organic accelerant for compost and costs a bomb, what I don't understand is
why people pay for it when it obviously comes free!

Alan

That's the theory behind this, of course but it still doesn't explain
why people need compost in *such* a hurry. ;-)

Old 14-11-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:25:17 -0000, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

Freshly voided urine is almost invariably sterile

"Except in cases of kidney or urinary tract infection (UTI), urine is
virtually
sterile and nearly odourless."

It tastes rather salty.

I've never tasted it yet, but if I were in a situation where no water was
available I would do it without doubt.

If you've tasted Double Diamond or Watney's you'll have a good idea of
the taste.

Double Diamond?
Watney's?
A while since you've been in a pub I take it.

mark

Old 14-11-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 4:44*pm, Janet Baraclough
On 2009-11-14 10:50:36 +0000, aquachimp
said:
I'm used the word "excuse" deliberately because somehow, call it
instinct, I often got the impression that what the somewhat potty pro-
pee proclaimers were really after was an excuse to 'mark' their
territory, as opposed to working in a very large garden, or that of
someone else's where it would be impractical to travel all the way
back and remove muddy footwear, or unwelcomed to do so.

* * *Your animal instincts are awry.

Ah, but my instinct related from the degree to which pro-pee postings
had a tone of gleeful proclamation and some people seemed eager to
repeat the exercise as if the scent of their last posting had faded
away.

Territory in this sense is not a warning on a boundary fence, mate, or
door, but an unfocused declaration to outline maleness or earthiness
or some-such.

Perhaps their own animal instincts are awry and that they do not post
so dam nearly obsessively on the subject to ward of competitors, to
protect their plants, nor necessarily to directly influence female
readers to be attracted to them given how marking can work that way
too.

If I had a dog and he ****ed on my door to mark it, I think he'd soon
learn to do his marking a bit further away the next time and so,
perhaps, if he were able to, he'd announce on the internet where he
has marked as a means to compensate / make up for the restrictions on
his personal primarily preferred prime ****ing points.

Animal territorial marking is
usually done to warn other animals away
from the den, feeding ground *or mate. So if your theory was *correct,
territorial gardeners would be peeing on the front door,
*kitchen , or their partner, to drive off the opposition. *Or possibly,
around some rare favourite plant to deter other gardeners from taking
cuttings.

* * *Janet.

Old 14-11-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

But, as already mentioned, if the compost acceleration is merely a by-
product to savings on water usage (loo flushing) then the focus is
environmental friendliness and not just to compost quickly
Old 14-11-2009, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 18:11:21 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Freshly voided urine is almost invariably sterile

"Except in cases of kidney or urinary tract infection (UTI), urine is
virtually
sterile and nearly odourless."

It tastes rather salty.

I've never tasted it yet, but if I were in a situation where no water was
available I would do it without doubt.

If you've tasted Double Diamond or Watney's you'll have a good idea of
the taste.

Double Diamond?
Watney's?
A while since you've been in a pub I take it.

This is true

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Old 14-11-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Martin
writes
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:08:09 +0000, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:34:19 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:41:08 +0000, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:12:02 -0500, wrote:

In the States it is a crime to pull out your tally whacker in public
or
in your own yard. It is considered an eye sore and what it produces
is
now called dangerous bio-hazardous waste. I'll just stick to using
Miracle Grow.

Freshly voided urine is almost invariably sterile.

Invariably depending on whether the person has or has not some sorts of
infection

Freshly voided urine is almost invariably sterile

"Except in cases of kidney or urinary tract infection (UTI), urine is
virtually
sterile and nearly odourless."

It tastes rather salty.

I've never tasted it yet, but if I were in a situation where no water was
available I would do it without doubt.

Prior to going on a desert exercise in Libya a survival lecturer told us we
shouldn't drink our own urine, but should rub it on our skin. To be honest I
didn't much fancy that either, but in the event we'd barely got there when
Gadaffi seized power and that put an end to all the fun. Exercise cancelled.

Steve

Old 14-11-2009, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:
It's a well known breaker down of compost but
I raised the medical thing because what flitted through my mind is how
very careful some people are about not using animal manure that
contains veterinary medicines.

Many veterinary medicines used on herbivores, are intended to kill
insect parasites, including intestinal worms in the colon. Faeces
containing active ingredients
could possibly reach and kill beneficial worms, insects and organisms
in a compost heap.

It's rare for UK gardeners to take any parasitical medication by
mouth let alone vermifuges so the same caveat hardly applies to their
urine.

Janet

I'm taking Asacol (mesalazine) for ulcerative colitis, does that count?

Steve

Old 14-11-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

What I can't understand is people trying to free their garden from cat crap
by putting lion crap on it.

Steve

Old 14-11-2009, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Ah, but my instinct related from the degree to which pro-pee postings
had a tone of gleeful proclamation and some people seemed eager to
repeat the exercise as if the scent of their last posting had faded
away.

I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

I've found the thread interesting and entertaining,
and I'd like to think that pee does help compost,
but I haven't seen any evidence that it does.

Which constituent of urine is supposed to accelerate composting?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 14-11-2009, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 18:26:42 +0000, aquachimp

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

But-but-but, this subject has come up on urg many, many times. One of
the funniest posts ever made here was Judith Lea's account of saving
her accelerant and then tripping up when going downstairs - it was in
the traditions of the best British music hall! And that is just years
and years ago.
So up until now and the Telegraph pouncing on this green theory, it was
well known merely as an accelerant. Their theory sounds a big along
the lines of 'save water shower with a friend'. Then we need to know
how to produce more food on the allotments we're composting to
compensate for the potential results of showering together. ;-)

vegies and pee James Edible Gardening 17 05-10-2006 07:29 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 06:39 PM
pee in the pile Mogie Gardening 52 03-10-2003 04:22 AM
Landscape cloth and doggie pee!! Will it smell? MHF Lawns 3 30-07-2003 02:23 AM
You know what? Dogs pee there as well, that corner always stinks. Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 04:56 AM