Old 19-11-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More gales...

On 2009-11-19 13:28:34 +0000, Aries said:

[25 quoted lines suppressed]

I know. I'm watching a Seagull rose beiing thrashed about. Luckily,
much of it is tied into ropes along the pergola but some shoots have
escaped and are behaving as if they have a life of their own.

Shame I've just come back from being out in the town - verrryyyy blowy
out there - my poor hair LOL

We seem to have escaped the worst yet again. It has been breezy but
nothing to cause any damage in the garden, It has been warm sunshine all
day here.
Rain is forecast for tomorrow. I just feel so sorry for all the people
living in areas with flood warnings already in operation. They must
dread another day of rain.
My large acer is only now turning to red and I still have lots of
flowers blooming in the garden. I do have a rather strange sight of
bright crimson Impatiens blooming on the compost heap, very pretty it is
too. :-)
Stay safe Val, and I hope the garden wont suffer too much.

Bobbie
Old 19-11-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 1:27*pm, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 03:20:06 -0800 (PST), Judith in France wrote:
My chickens love the wind, they skip along like little old ladies.
I'm still getting eggs Tina, is that usual at this time?

I miss my henny pennys *Not sure if we'll have any where we are now as
our garden is small, and not only that we're very near to a farm shop that
sells free range eggs pretty cheaply so not a lot of point really in having
our own hens. *But they do make interesting and productive pets
--
Power is not only what you have
but what the enemy thinks you have.

Val, I got your message re the other place we post in. I don't know
what happened you just disappeared off my screen, I'll send you an
invite maybe that will make you appear again?? :-)

What happened to your hens, did you prepare them for the freezer or
did the new owners inherit them? I have a friend who keeps a couple
of hens in an Eglu and a run in a small garden. Susie was the one
here who helped me to get an Eglu, bless her. I just hope our Tina is
having a night off and is not reading this, Tina doesn't like Eglus,
fortunately I like her and don't mind her dislike of them :-) Coooee
Tina? Sigh... relief, she's not here.

Judith
Old 19-11-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 1:24*pm, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 01:38:20 -0000, Christina Websell wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel on
edge, I wonder. *I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed and
pummelled when I'm outside, too. *By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. *;-)
--

It's been rather windy in Leics too, blew me down the garden to feed my
chickens this morning ;-)

Very blowy here in Mid Devon too - grey and miserable looking too but
mildish still.
--
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments,
but what is woven into the lives of others.http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

It has been very warm here today, brilliant blue sky and we have been
working both outside and inside making the most of this extra Indian
Summer. The snow on the peaks has almost gone, I have never seen snow
on the peaks to disappear a few weeks later, bizarre.

Judith
Old 19-11-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel on
edge, I wonder. *I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed and
pummelled when I'm outside, too. *By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. *;-)
--

It's been rather windy in Leics too, blew me down the garden to feed my
chickens this morning ;-)
Has calmed down now.

Very blowy here in Mid Devon too - grey and miserable looking too but
mildish still.

Ditto in South Devon. *We have had strong winds all morning and then
every so often there's a gust that just howls the place down.

So damaging too especially to our plants
--
No one gossips about other people's secret virtues.
~ Bertrand Russellhttp://ariesval.co.uk/val/

I would love to see a few pics of your new garden Val, if you don't
want to post them here, you know my email.

Judith
Old 19-11-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 1:29*pm, Aries wrote:
On 19 Nov 2009 11:22:29 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:39:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. *I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. *By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. *;-)

Just got back from my allotment where it's been so warm we were working
in t-shirts!

I get warm too when working outside - go out all togged up but soon start
stripping off lol
--
Don't compare your life to others.
You have no idea what their journey is all about.http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

Now behave young Val, you will have RMartin coming out in a sweat.

Judith

Old 19-11-2009, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Nov 19, 1:38 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

... It's blowing again -
what is it about high winds that makes people feel on
edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's
pretty easy-going. ;-)
--

It's been rather windy in Leics too, blew me down the garden to feed
my
chickens this morning ;-)
Has calmed down now.

My chickens love the wind, they skip along like little old ladies.
I'm still getting eggs Tina, is that usual at this time?

Not if they are young

Old 19-11-2009, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 13:26:16 +0000, Derek Turner said:

Not quite!

Behind St. Brelade Rectory, South facing with a nice big hill to the
west. We really do seem to have our own microclimate.

Passport country. ;-) I'm not even sure where that Rectory is - is it
on La Marquanderie Hill? If so, you have the shelter of the hill behind
you, no?

The address is La Marquanderie. The Rectory is directly west of the
church and fisherman's chapel. Our allotments are immediately to the west
of that. Basically, to our east are the churches and then the bay. To our
west is a steep valley at the top of which is a manor-house (I think). To
the north is some woodland belonging to the the 'big house' and then the
hill up to Redhouses (Marquanderie hill?) with a lovely south-facing
granite wall (on which we plan fan-trained fruit trees) to the south is
the hill with the road that leads up to Beauport and the churchyard
extension. We are sheltered from all but east winds and bask in any sun,
however low and weak.
Old 19-11-2009, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 18:49:47 +0000, Aries said:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:13:49 +0000, Bobbie wrote:

We seem to have escaped the worst yet again. It has been breezy but
nothing to cause any damage in the garden, It has been warm sunshine all
day here.
Rain is forecast for tomorrow. I just feel so sorry for all the people
living in areas with flood warnings already in operation. They must
dread another day of rain.
My large acer is only now turning to red and I still have lots of
flowers blooming in the garden. I do have a rather strange sight of
bright crimson Impatiens blooming on the compost heap, very pretty it is
too. :-)
Stay safe Val, and I hope the garden wont suffer too much.

We're fine so far but I hate all this rain. Thank goodness we have good
draining soil here - no clay!

Weird day here today - high winds and no rain. But the winds are back
again tonight and the glass is dropping. Oh.......dear!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-11-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 6:46*pm, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:45:38 -0800 (PST), Judith in France wrote:
What happened to your hens, did you prepare them for the freezer or
did the new owners inherit them? *I have a friend who keeps a couple
of hens in an Eglu and a run in a small garden. *Susie was the one
here who helped me to get an Eglu, bless her. *I just hope our Tina is
having a night off and is not reading this, Tina doesn't like Eglus,
fortunately I like her and don't mind her dislike of them :-) *Coooee
Tina? *Sigh... relief, she's not here.

We passed them on to a farming neighbour as we were moving house and didn't
want the responsibility of them at the time. *I do miss them tho. *I was
brought up having hens around and as you know we had hundreds of free range
hens when we were farming. *

Who is Tina ?
--
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me !http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

She just posted below, phew, I was waiting to be told off for the
Eglu :-)

Judith
Old 19-11-2009, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 10:40*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:48:43 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Nov 19, 1:29*pm, Aries wrote:
On 19 Nov 2009 11:22:29 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:39:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. *I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. *By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. *;-)

Just got back from my allotment where it's been so warm we were working
in t-shirts!

I get warm too when working outside - go out all togged up but soon start
stripping off lol
--
Don't compare your life to others.
You have no idea what their journey is all about.http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

Now behave young Val, you will have pooRMartin coming out in a sweat.

Phew! What a scorcher!
--

Martin

I've warned her, anyway she's taken :-)

Judith

Old 19-11-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 13:26:16 +0000, Derek Turner said:

Not quite!

[...]

My mental map is working overtime. Manors in that area.......Noirmont,
perhaps? It once belonged to the Tiarks and probably, rather more
significantly, to Lillie Langtry.. It was Charlie Hungerford's house in
Bergerac's earliest series. Belonged to the father of a friend of
mine at one time and I met Dougie Bader's spare legs there, though
never met the man himself.

Old 19-11-2009, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 11:31*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:08:59 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Nov 19, 1:29*pm, Aries wrote:
On 19 Nov 2009 11:22:29 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:39:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. *I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. *By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. *;-)

Just got back from my allotment where it's been so warm we were working
in t-shirts!

I get warm too when working outside - go out all togged up but soon start
stripping off lol

Now behave young Val, you will have pooRMartin coming out in a sweat.

Phew! What a scorcher!

I've warned her, anyway she's taken :-)

Taken what? An ice cold G&T?
--

Martin

:-) You have email.

Judith
Old 20-11-2009, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Nov 19, 1:27 pm, Aries wrote:
[...]

Oh yes I am! LOL!

Tina

Old 20-11-2009, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:25:29 +0000, Sacha wrote:

My mental map is working overtime. Manors in that area.......Noirmont,
perhaps? It once belonged to the Tiarks and probably, rather more
significantly, to Lillie Langtry.. It was Charlie Hungerford's house in
Bergerac's earliest series. Belonged to the father of a friend of mine
at one time and I met Dougie Bader's spare legs there, though never met
the man himself.

I looked in Perry's, it's Maison La Moye. One of the drives to the
property starts next to the rectory, the other is at the top of the hill
in La Moye.
Old 20-11-2009, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 18:49:47 +0000, Aries said:

[...]

Shall I top up your glass?

No thanks, it runneth over!