Old 20-06-2010, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Turnips - how to store?

I've got a whole row of navet turnips. The ones you are intended to eat
small. They are around 4 or 5 inches diameter and are perfect. What is
the best way to store them? If I leave them in the ground any longer
they will likely run to seed or get some horrible grub that riddles them
with holes.

If I pull them should I let the tops just die off naturally or cut them
off? Will they store in a cool dry place or just put out fresh shoots
seeing as it is only Summer not Autumn?

Any advice?

I never have much luck growing them later in the season due to something
which bores them full of little holes and totally ruins them.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 20-06-2010, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:00:05 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

Any advice?

If they're what I think they are, I don't think you are /meant/ to store
them. Eat them young, fresh and freshly-dug. Madhur Jaffrey has a
wonderful recipe for a curry made with them and beef. ICBW but for
storing don't you need swedes ('Swedish turnips')? and I think you are
too far south to grow those.
Old 20-06-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote
David in Normandy wrote:
Any advice?

If they're what I think they are, I don't think you are /meant/ to store
them. Eat them young, fresh and freshly-dug. Madhur Jaffrey has a
wonderful recipe for a curry made with them and beef. ICBW but for
storing don't you need swedes ('Swedish turnips')? and I think you are
too far south to grow those.

Swedes are the "turnips" they use in Cornish Pasties ( together with onion,
potato and beef skirt) so as they grow so well in Cornwall I would think
they might do well in France too. I'd give them a go anyway just to see.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-06-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/06/2010 19:04, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote
David in Normandy wrote:
Any advice?

If they're what I think they are, I don't think you are /meant/ to store
them. Eat them young, fresh and freshly-dug. Madhur Jaffrey has a
wonderful recipe for a curry made with them and beef. ICBW but for
storing don't you need swedes ('Swedish turnips')? and I think you are
too far south to grow those.

Swedes are the "turnips" they use in Cornish Pasties ( together with
onion, potato and beef skirt) so as they grow so well in Cornwall I
would think they might do well in France too. I'd give them a go anyway
just to see.

I've got some swedes growing for the first time this year - in addition
to the little navet turnips. The tops are growing well, but I'll reserve
judgement until Autumn - I'm just hoping they don't get riddled with
worm holes - what causes all the little holes in things like radish and
turnips?

Old 20-06-2010, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

Swedes are the "turnips" they use in Cornish Pasties ( together with
onion, potato and beef skirt) so as they grow so well in Cornwall I
would think they might do well in France too. I'd give them a go anyway
just to see.

Ah, but they are the orangey flesh swedes in an oggie, (refered to as
neaps in Scotland - i believe).

I've got some swedes growing for the first time this year - in addition
to the little navet turnips. The tops are growing well, but I'll reserve
judgement until Autumn - I'm just hoping they don't get riddled with
worm holes - what causes all the little holes in things like radish and
turnips?

I believe that it is little slugs, I get them in carrots and potatoes
as well and you can sometimes find a little beastie curled up inside a
good sized spud!

Roger T

Old 20-06-2010, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
anon-y-mouse wrote:
The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

Swedes are the "turnips" they use in Cornish Pasties ( together with
onion, potato and beef skirt) so as they grow so well in Cornwall I
would think they might do well in France too. I'd give them a go anyway
just to see.

Ah, but they are the orangey flesh swedes in an oggie, (refered to as
neaps in Scotland - i believe).

Actually, no, in both cases. 'True' turnips were used in pasties
when available, and the Scottish term 'neeps' applies to both.
The term "swede" stands for "Swedish turnip", which were introduced
in the late 18th century (according to the OED). Regarding the
two as very separate is a modern English habit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-06-2010, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

Actually, no, in both cases. 'True' turnips were used in pasties
when available, and the Scottish term 'neeps' applies to both.
The term "swede" stands for "Swedish turnip", which were introduced
in the late 18th century (according to the OED). Regarding the
two as very separate is a modern English habit.

Didn't they come in as cattle fodder to start with? I seem to remember
Cobbett saying something about them.

Yes, but the turnips of Turnip Townshend were much older, and would
have been the ancestors of our 'true' turnips.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-06-2010, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote
anon-y-mouse wrote:
David in Normandy contains these words:

Swedes are the "turnips" they use in Cornish Pasties ( together with
onion, potato and beef skirt) so as they grow so well in Cornwall I
would think they might do well in France too. I'd give them a go
anyway
just to see.

Ah, but they are the orangey flesh swedes in an oggie, (refered to as
neaps in Scotland - i believe).

Actually, no, in both cases. 'True' turnips were used in pasties
when available, and the Scottish term 'neeps' applies to both.
The term "swede" stands for "Swedish turnip", which were introduced
in the late 18th century (according to the OED). Regarding the
two as very separate is a modern English habit.

I wouldn't like to be the one to tell my friend, a prize winning Cornish
Pasty maker, that she and her family have been using the wrong ingredient
for generations. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-06-2010, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
wrote
anon-y-mouse wrote:
[...]

Both kinds are the wrong ingredient for /anything/. Yuk! I get through
Burns Nicht with the aid of copious quantities of butter and pepper on
the neeps, and whisky on the taste-buds.

--
Mike.

Old 21-06-2010, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
wrote
anon-y-mouse wrote:
[...]

Ah, but when a Pasty is made properly it takes on a taste of it's own, you
can't actually taste the individual ingredients they meld into something
wonderful.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-06-2010, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
wrote
anon-y-mouse wrote:
[...]

Well, all right: that makes sense. I'm reluctant to give up on a
foodstuff, and usually find there's a method I don't mind.

--
Mike.

Old 21-06-2010, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2010 20:41, Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
wrote
anon-y-mouse wrote:
[...]

Well I've just had some of my little turnips coarsely mashed with some
butter and cayenne pepper with my roast dinner. They were very tasty -
well I think so anyway.

Spouse has chopped the rest of them and blanched/ frozen them now. I
pinched a bit of raw turnip to try and it was surprisingly soft and
tasty. I think grated turnip would work well in a salad. Maybe it
depends on the variety? These little navet turnips are pure white flesh
inside with a light purple skin. They are also quite flat - around four
inches wide and two inches high - quite different to swedes.

Old 21-06-2010, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

I wouldn't like to be the one to tell my friend, a prize winning Cornish
Pasty maker, that she and her family have been using the wrong ingredient
for generations. :-)

Exactly what I was going to say, although I dont have a prize winning
friend. My mother taught me the art of pasty making over 50 years ago,
and was adamant about the swede! Admittedly she was not Cornish, a
Devoniaian, but married to a Cornish man.

Just to clarify, I have never actually made a pasty, I've cut up
potatoes, swede, meat, onion and supervised both mother and wife in the
art!

Roger T
Old 21-06-2010, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

wrote
anon-y-mouse wrote:
[...]

Wrong? For generations? You clearly don't know what life was like
there, even as late as the 1950s.

Pasties were made out of what you had, and were partly intended to
spin a small amount of meat out with root vegetables and flour.
There never was a formal recipe until recently.

I have had pasties made by seriously old-fashioned, seriously rural
farmers' wives, and they usually had white turnips in - and quite
often carrots, kale or other 'non-standard' vegetables as well.
But, if they didn't have white turnips, you got yellow ones without
comment.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Radishes or turnips ??? AndyS Edible Gardening 5 20-05-2006 03:01 PM
Anyone got early turnips bolting? Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 09-05-2006 05:31 PM
Problems with turnips. ah United Kingdom 0 20-10-2004 01:23 AM
Turnips Greens Jackee Edible Gardening 2 27-06-2004 08:03 PM
Turnips Steve B United Kingdom 3 08-06-2003 01:44 AM