Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More courgette uses

1) Apple, blackberry and courgette pie!
We had a few windfall apples, not enough to make a pie but by including
some courgettes chopped and treated the same as the apples they made a
pleasant inclusion in the pie. The courgettes were almost tasteless as
such and just picked up the taste of the blackberries. Their texture was
virtually identical to that of the apple. Ratio about twice the weight
of apple to courgettes.

2) Raw!
I'd just read online that courgettes can be eaten raw and are often used
in salads etc. I've just sat and eaten a whole one - eating it like a
long apple, skin and all. Slightly nutty flavour. Not particularly sweet
but not sour either. Apparently quite nutritious and very low in
calories. Cheaper and more healthy than my usual evening snack of a bag
of crisps. Quite filling too. Even the dogs came to investigate and
shared a few morsels of it with me!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/08/2010 21:33, Janet wrote:

They make a nice salad, cut in (raw) julienne strips and dressed.
Yesterday J made a spaghetti lunch dish topped with grated courgette,
lemon zest and nuts ( fried lightly in butter).
Last week he made an excellent savoury courgett bread (can't remember
who posted the recipe, might have been you)
and I made courgette chocolate cake.
We have given away mountains of courgettes; last weekend our garden
was openfor charity and I managed to fob off bags of them to the
visitors. Tomorrow, my courgettes are entering a complicated three way
barter involving courgettes, a dog sit and blackcurrants...
the glut continues

We tried the courgette bread based on the recipe someone gave on this
group, however spouse adapted it for her bread machine. The result was
OK. Not spectacular. It didn't rise as much as her usual bread and was
consequently a bit heavy. It did toast nice though with a sprinkling of
grated cheese on top to make a tasty savoury bread. Maybe it needed more
yeast or sugar to make it rise more?

This year I planted 5 courgette plants grown from seed. They have now
reached the point of running away from us and all are creating marrows
that will simply end up on the compost heap. It's a shame but there are
only so many courgettes one can eat or give away. The freezer is full of
frozen chopped courgettes too.

Can fully grown marrows be kept over Winter? The last time I tried they
turned to mush - but they probably caught a frost being stored in the
garage.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
1) Apple, blackberry and courgette pie!
We had a few windfall apples, not enough to make a pie but by including
some courgettes chopped and treated the same as the apples they made a
pleasant inclusion in the pie. The courgettes were almost tasteless as
such and just picked up the taste of the blackberries. Their texture was
virtually identical to that of the apple. Ratio about twice the weight
of apple to courgettes.

Ooh, now that's an interesting idea. What kind of size courgette did you
use to get apple texture? I've found the overgrown ones that I have trouble
disposing of are a bit watery, I suspect they would turn to mush in a pie.
But with some blackberry (or blackcurrant!) and cinammon, that may work.

2) Raw!
I'd just read online that courgettes can be eaten raw and are often used
in salads etc. I've just sat and eaten a whole one - eating it like a
long apple, skin and all. Slightly nutty flavour. Not particularly sweet
but not sour either. Apparently quite nutritious and very low in
calories. Cheaper and more healthy than my usual evening snack of a bag
of crisps. Quite filling too. Even the dogs came to investigate and
shared a few morsels of it with me!

I've tried the occasional nibble of raw courgette before, but it's not a
taste I'm fond of. On the whole I'm not a big fan of any raw veg. Tends to
give me indigestion.

Now, if you can do a similar study on what I can do with this glut of
slightly over-ripe raspberries ...

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
We have given away mountains of courgettes; last weekend our garden
was openfor charity and I managed to fob off bags of them to the
visitors.

Nick managed to nip in to the new people on the allotment who haven't had
time to plant anything yet and 'present' them with an armful of green pointy
(and one spherically yellow) offerings. They were very polite about it.

Later this week I'll be sending the boys out with cartons of beans and
courgettes and raspberries to annoy the neighbours with.

Tomorrow, my courgettes are entering a complicated three way
barter involving courgettes, a dog sit and blackcurrants...
the glut continues

I think I've worked out what to do with most of the fruit, it's just a case
of getting the time to do it! One more week at work ... *sigh*

Right now I have the remains of a tub of Ben+Jerry's caramel chew chew (I
really ought to finish off the homemade stuff, but this is what fell out of
the freezer when I opened it, honest!) and a handful of last week's
raspberries.

Which reminds me, I had a question, I'll start a new thread ...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:

Can fully grown marrows be kept over Winter? The last time I tried they
turned to mush - but they probably caught a frost being stored in the
garage.

To some extent, but they don't keep brilliantly well. Harder C. pepo
squashes like Little Gem keep a lot better, and C. maxima (hubbards)
better yet. My Little Gem tend to rot in February or March, and the
latter keep for a couple of months after that.

Of course, they have to be THOROUGHLY ripe, so need to be kept on a
sunny windowsil or similar throighout autumn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
am says...

[...]

Janet.

And today we have given 8 (which had become marrows) to our local
pub/restaurant. It begs the question: why do we all keep growing them?! I
keep saying I won't grow them again but there is something rather satisfying
in the glut that we get

Jeanne

Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 21:19:37 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

2) Raw!
I'd just read online that courgettes can be eaten raw and are often used
in salads etc. I've just sat and eaten a whole one - eating it like a
long apple, skin and all. Slightly nutty flavour. Not particularly sweet
but not sour either. Apparently quite nutritious and very low in
calories. Cheaper and more healthy than my usual evening snack of a bag
of crisps. Quite filling too. Even the dogs came to investigate and
shared a few morsels of it with me!

My wife's idea of a salad is eating one or two large cucumbers picked
from the greenhouse, skins on, dipped in salt and eaten like peeled
bananas.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
Ooh, now that's an interesting idea. What kind of size courgette did you
use to get apple texture? I've found the overgrown ones that I have trouble
disposing of are a bit watery, I suspect they would turn to mush in a pie.
But with some blackberry (or blackcurrant!) and cinammon, that may work.

Small courgettes around 3 - 4" chopped up small.

Ah, see, those are the ones I have no problem getting rid of already. :-)
Old 09-08-2010, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
This year I planted 5 courgette plants grown from seed.

Last year mine had very poor germination; so this year, anticipating
the same, I planted the entire packet. They all came up and turned into
healthy strong plants; found homes for a few but still had 18 left. So I
planted out the lot, thinking at least they would shade out weeds, and
not one of them died or got sat on by pheasants.. It's courgette madness
out there :-) I'm supposed to be making pickle with them.

Blimey, and I thought I had a lot! I think we have 8 - 4 green bush (the 1
yellow bush that germinated got munched), 1 organic dundoo (only 1 that
germinated) and 3 'one ball' yellow round courgettes. Between those 8 we
have enough fruit to feed the entire neighbourhood.

But as you can see - a lot didn't germinate, only the green bush did so
reliably, and the one ball were about 50-50, the rest were about 1 in 3 or
4 or lower. And then the entire crop of yellow bush failed or were eaten!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Aug, 12:50, wrote:
Janet wrote:
[...]

Grating courgets to make julien like bits then saute in butter for a
couple of mins.
I'm supprised no one has mentioned Marrow Rum.
David Hill
Old 10-08-2010, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
[...]

Some years ago I was served a dish of courgettes (zucchini on this side of
the pond) stir-fried with cumin. It was absolutely delicious and I only wish
I had written down the recipe at the time.
I have just googled the terms and this one seems to be close:
http://www.thehungerstruck.com/2010/...ni-with-cumin/

Graham

Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 06:49:49 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

Here's another recipe, sorry not translated:

Clafoutis de Courgettes (prep 10 mins cuisson 30 mins)

snipped
Can anyone do a rough translation please? It sounds delicious but my
French is not good enough.
Is there some other cheese I can use instead of Petit Suisse?
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Ajouter: 100g de maizena+sachet de levure+30cl de lait

Add 100g of cornflour plus one sachet of yeast plus 30cl of milk

Oh, that's interesting. I had assumed it was just a savoury version of the
cherry clafoutis that I've made in the past. But there is definitely no
yeast in that.