Old 18-12-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedgehog update

It seems my resident hedgehog was out and about the other night,
he had tunnelled his way through the hay at the hides entrance,
and after carefully checking last night he has tucked himself back
in and is asleep.

This was before we had any snow.

He had not touched the cat food I leave out but the local cat had
tried unsuccessfully as there was cat fur around the small food
house entrance.

Stephen

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Old 19-12-2010, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 18, 7:22*pm, wrote:
It seems my resident hedgehog was out and about the other night,
he had tunnelled his way through the hay at the hides entrance,
and after carefully checking last night he has tucked himself back
in and is asleep.

This was before we had any snow.

He had not touched the cat food I leave out but the local cat had
tried unsuccessfully as there was cat fur around the small food
house entrance.

Stephen

--http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Interesting how long before he took his wintery nap.
Old 19-12-2010, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
aquachimp wrote:

He had not touched the cat food I leave out but the local cat had
tried unsuccessfully as there was cat fur around the small food
house entrance.

Stephen

Interesting how long before he took his wintery nap.

I have left the hedgehog well alone, the only prints in the snow
near the hide are from cats and pigeons but they can't get to the
cat food.

Stephen.

Old 20-12-2010, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-12-19 16:02:52 +0000, said:

In message
* * * * * aquachimp wrote:

He had not touched the cat food I leave out but the local cat had
tried unsuccessfully as there was cat fur around the small food
house entrance.

Stephen

Interesting how long before he took his wintery nap.

I have left the hedgehog well alone, the only prints in the snow
near the hide are from cats and pigeons but they can't get to the
cat food.

Stephen.

Would it be worth putting some of that food at a distance from Hog's
Home, so as to distract the other animals from it? *I really don't know
so I'd be interested to see what others know, think, or have
experienced.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I was wondering the same, though just from the point of trying to have
a nap whilst cat-food rots nearby.
Old 20-12-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message

On 2010-12-19 16:02:52 +0000, said:

In message
* * * * * aquachimp wrote:

[...]

The hedgehog did pop out last week but has since remained in the
hide, his food is presently frozen and will probably best be
removed now seeing as the hedgehog appears to have hibernated
properly for the winter.

Stephen.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
wrote:

In message

On 2010-12-19 16:02:52 +0000,
said:

Interesting how long before he took his wintery nap.

I have left the hedgehog well alone, the only prints in the snow
near the hide are from cats and pigeons but they can't get to the
cat food.

Stephen.

Would it be worth putting some of that food at a distance from
Hog's Home, so as to distract the other animals from it? I
really don't know so I'd be interested to see what others know,
think, or have experienced.

The hedgehog food house is about 12 feet away from the hide, if I
lay food out elsewhere the cats will get it, although I wouldn't
mind birds getting to it but we feed them anyway as a matter of
course.

Having said that the entrance of the hide is very narrow, too
narrow for a cat to get in, I hope, can't think of a smaller
predator that visits our garden that might be a danger to the
hedgehog.

We do feel quite privileged that we have a resident hedgehog.

Stephen.

I had a tame hedgehog for some years. I fed him on cat food which I
put on a plate and I put an upturned plastic bucket over it which had
a slot cut into it, and a brick on top of that to stop it from being
knocked or blown over. As I remember the slot was about 2 cm high, 6
cm wide and the bottom lip was 2 cm above ground level, a hedgehog
could get through, but it was too narrow for a cat to get its head
through. The food was usually gone in the morning, and if I stayed up
late I sometimes saw him go in. See also

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

Michael Bell

Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 2, 9:34*pm, Michael Bell wrote:
In message

In message
* * * * * Sacha wrote:
On 2010-12-19 16:02:52 +0000, said:
[...]

You'd be surprised at what small space a cat can get through (36
seconds in) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTasT5h0LEg
Old 03-01-2011, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

[...]

I see you're a fellow RO user Michael ;-)

Interesting link thanks, full of information, the site even has a
picture and diagram of how to build a hedgehog house.
I've bookmarked it cheers,

Stephen.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message aa03dfc2-576e-483a-936e-6d0005b15e6a@f8g2000yqd.
googlegroups.com
aquachimp wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Amazing!

Stephen.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
wrote:

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

[...]

You're right, but how can you tell?

Michael Bell

Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
Michael Bell wrote:
I see you're a fellow RO user Michael ;-)

You're right, but how can you tell?

Michael Bell

Perhaps from your headers;_)

John

Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
JTM wrote:

In article
,
Michael Bell wrote:
I see you're a fellow RO user Michael ;-)

You're right, but how can you tell?

Michael Bell

Perhaps from your headers;_)

John

Ah yes, I see now!

Michael

Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

In message
wrote:

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

[...]

I remember your name from the RO newsgroups and viewed your
headers.

Stephen.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
JTM wrote:

In article
,
Michael Bell wrote:
I see you're a fellow RO user Michael ;-)

You're right, but how can you tell?

Michael Bell

Perhaps from your headers;_)

John

Indeed, then I just had to view yours John
Three RO users in the same none RISC OS group, quite rare.

Stephen.