Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leylandii Shreddings

I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going through the
shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what
proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

Mike

Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going through the shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what
proportion of mix would anyone recommend?
Leylandii is very acidic and very slow to break down. So the answer on what proportion to mix in is "not very much." When I've put some in my compost bin, I've found it barely altered 3 years later. I take it all to the tip these days, where they can deal with it.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/10/2011 08:37, 'Mike' wrote:
I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going through the
shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what
proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

I am not certain, but I would think that the acidity of the shreddings
might cause problems. It might be better to make sure that it is well
"diluted" with non-coniferous material and perhaps add a little lime as
well.

--

Jeff
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 03/10/2011 08:37, 'Mike' wrote:
I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going through the
shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what
proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

I am not certain, but I would think that the acidity of the shreddings
might cause problems. It might be better to make sure that it is well
"diluted" with non-coniferous material and perhaps add a little lime as
well.

--

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Neighbours on both sides are trimming back conventional hedges. I feel sure
they will let me have their trimmings for the shredder ;-) and I have some
more chunky stuff to shred so there is no problem in getting stuff to mix
in.

Thanks

Mike

Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 09:54:40 +0000, echinosum
wrote:

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
;938460"]I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going
through the shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what

proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

Leylandii is very acidic and very slow to break down. So the answer on
what proportion to mix in is "not very much." When I've put some in my
compost bin, I've found it barely altered 3 years later. I take it all
to the tip these days, where they can deal with it.

I had a few sackfulls some years ago. I used them on paths on my
allotment. Lasted about 5 years.

Pam in Bristol

Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 3, 8:37*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going through the
shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what
proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

Mike

Compost is always best if mixed up.
The worst thing i ever had for not rotting was a large amount of pond
weed.
But leylandii rots down OK if shredded. The best stuff to mix with it
is grass cuttings if you have any.
But you may get chance of autumn leaves, also good. (
Oak is slow) Tannins?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Oct 3, 8:37 am, "'Mike'" wrote:
I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going through the
shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what
proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

Mike

Compost is always best if mixed up.
The worst thing i ever had for not rotting was a large amount of pond
weed.
But leylandii rots down OK if shredded. The best stuff to mix with it
is grass cuttings if you have any.
But you may get chance of autumn leaves, also good. (
Oak is slow) Tannins?

.................................................. ...................

WOW Thanks

Grass cuttings :-))
Leaves :-))

No problem at all.

Leaves ??? My daughter and son in law have Landscaped Gardens of some 2
acres and guess what season we are in ...... :-))

Grass cuttings ? No problems there, from a couple of acres of landscaped
produces rather a lot of grass cuttings

Got it planned :-))

Very many thanks

Mike

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
WOW Thanks

Grass cuttings :-))
Leaves :-))

No problem at all.

Leaves ??? My daughter and son in law have Landscaped Gardens of some 2
acres and guess what season we are in ...... :-))

Grass cuttings ? No problems there, from a couple of acres of landscaped
produces rather a lot of grass cuttings

Got it planned :-))

Very many thanks

Mike

Mike, if you can get a large quantity of leaves it might be better converted
into leaf mould?
Pete C

Old 03-10-2011, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
news

"'Mike'" wrote in message
WOW Thanks

Grass cuttings :-))
Leaves :-))

No problem at all.

Leaves ??? My daughter and son in law have Landscaped Gardens of some 2
acres and guess what season we are in ...... :-))

Grass cuttings ? No problems there, from a couple of acres of landscaped
produces rather a lot of grass cuttings

Got it planned :-))

Very many thanks

Mike

Mike, if you can get a large quantity of leaves it might be better
converted into leaf mould?
Pete C

My daughter and son in law are the leaf suppliers :-((

They have lots of trees in their garden and it is a full time job gathering
them up, BUT, to transport them to my house with my 'little garden' would be
a pain in the neck AND, as it is only a little garden, I don't have the
room. However, to transport some home to mix with what I do have is a
different kettle of fish. Black sacks in my boot, I have a BMW with a big
boot OR one of their cars.

But thanks for the thought ;-))

Mike

Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
;938460"]I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going
through the shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what

proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

Leylandii is very acidic and very slow to break down. So the answer on
what proportion to mix in is "not very much." When I've put some in my
compost bin, I've found it barely altered 3 years later. I take it all
to the tip these days, where they can deal with it.

If you have a big enough garden so as not be a nuisance, I'd burn it.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"echinosum" wrote in message

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
;938460"]I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going
through the shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what

proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

Leylandii is very acidic and very slow to break down. So the answer on
what proportion to mix in is "not very much." When I've put some in my
compost bin, I've found it barely altered 3 years later. I take it all
to the tip these days, where they can deal with it.

If you have a big enough garden so as not be a nuisance, I'd burn it.

I am afraid that the days of 'large enough gardens' are over when we moved
into this house. "Postage Stamp" compared to our last house, so bonfires are
out.

I shred what I can of everything. Stuff too big for the shredder gets cut
down and into the boot to either my daughter and son in law's very large
garden and bonfire, or the dump for their shredder.

Mike

Use shreddings to fill cracks in clay? French_Fry United Kingdom 8 21-10-2016 03:53 PM
Ivy shreddings Mike United Kingdom 7 14-04-2006 09:25 AM
What to do with shreddings Janet Galpin United Kingdom 21 19-10-2005 06:02 PM
shreddings H Ryder United Kingdom 7 23-07-2005 09:09 AM
Shreddings Snowman United Kingdom 9 31-07-2003 05:33 PM