Old 04-10-2011, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Labelling help pls

My writing is appalling, I can barely read it myself next day! I have
been thinking of getting one of these labelling machines which will
produce clear labels which I can stick to the plastic 15mm wide stick in
plastic labels I use. Brother PT1005BTS and GL-200 seem suitable for
this, though what the difference is between them I am not sure. Has
anyone any experience of these, good or bad, or perhaps can recommend a
better product.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
My writing is appalling, I can barely read it myself next day! I have been
thinking of getting one of these labelling machines which will produce
clear labels which I can stick to the plastic 15mm wide stick in plastic
labels I use. Brother PT1005BTS and GL-200 seem suitable for this, though
what the difference is between them I am not sure. Has anyone any
experience of these, good or bad, or perhaps can recommend a better
product.

Don't know the Brother. I've just bought a Dymo LetraTag LT-100H. £17. It
comes with paper label tape but plactic is available which I have. I'm
trialing labels on my plot over the winter to see how they fair.
Pete C

Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 09:23:06 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

Brother PT1005BTS and GL-200 seem suitable for
this, though what the difference is between them I am not sure.

I use the brother GL-100 , Love it, bought my brother one for this
coming xmas. Check on ebay for sources of cheap refill tape.

Looking at the GL-200 I think you get a clearer idea of what the final
label will look like, before printing, but the end result is the
same, so how about buying the 'old' model, save yourself enough to buy
a few more refills.

Are you a 2012 Gamemaker too?
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 04-10-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote

My writing is appalling, I can barely read it myself next day! I have been
thinking of getting one of these labelling machines which will produce
clear labels which I can stick to the plastic 15mm wide stick in plastic
labels I use. Brother PT1005BTS and GL-200 seem suitable for this, though
what the difference is between them I am not sure. Has anyone any
experience of these, good or bad, or perhaps can recommend a better
product.

We use a Brother GL-100 for labels in our garden and out on the allotment.
They last years, actually none have shown any problems. Great product and
much better than the old Dymo tape where the machines broke on a regular
basis.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2011 18:44, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote

My writing is appalling, I can barely read it myself next day! I have
been thinking of getting one of these labelling machines which will
produce clear labels which I can stick to the plastic 15mm wide stick
in plastic labels I use. Brother PT1005BTS and GL-200 seem suitable
for this, though what the difference is between them I am not sure.
Has anyone any experience of these, good or bad, or perhaps can
recommend a better product.

We use a Brother GL-100 for labels in our garden and out on the
allotment. They last years, actually none have shown any problems. Great
product and much better than the old Dymo tape where the machines broke
on a regular basis.

Thanks for the tips, your are absolutely spot on Derek, I got this reply
from an email query to Brother:
"The PT-1005 and the GL-200 are basically the same machine, just sold
into different markets.

The PT machine is aimed at office or home users, and the GL machine is
aimed at the gardening market (GL standing for Garden Labeller)

For example you will find the GL-200 for sale in garden centres, and the
other model in stationary stores etc.

They print the same, and take the same tapes, so basically buy which
ever machine is available the cheapest!

Found the PT1005BTS the cheapest,and at Maplin the cheapest offer, Just
purchased and now trying to get to grips with operating it!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moonraker wrote:

Thanks for the tips, your are absolutely spot on Derek, I got this reply
from an email query to Brother:
"The PT-1005 and the GL-200 are basically the same machine, just sold
into different markets.

Found the PT1005BTS the cheapest,and at Maplin the cheapest offer, Just
purchased and now trying to get to grips with operating it!

Yes, that does look quite affordable.

I guess, like many other types of printer, the money is made on
the consumables.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2011 14:46, Janet wrote:
In , says...

[...]

Some of have discussed before, making permanent name tags for special
plants/trees using an electric engraver machine and an aluminium tag.

If you're still looking for one, Lidl supermarket' s latest letterbox
flyer arrived today and among the gadgets, they're selling an engraver
similar to mine ..£9.99

Janet.

Thanks for the information Janet, but if I cannot write legibly with a
pen what chance have I with and engraver. As Chris suggested the profit
is certainly with the consumables. As I am labelling lots (hopefully
this will reduce in the future) am am consuming the consumable at a
great rate of knots, at £11.99 a time (Maplin is the cheapest I can
find) it soon adds up.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 11:56:11 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

pruned

Thanks for the information Janet, but if I cannot write legibly with a
pen what chance have I with and engraver. As Chris suggested the profit
is certainly with the consumables. As I am labelling lots (hopefully
this will reduce in the future) am am consuming the consumable at a
great rate of knots, at £11.99 a time (Maplin is the cheapest I can
find) it soon adds up.

What size tape are you using? If Maplin's online prices are plus VAT
you might like to look at Labelzone
(http://www.labelzone.co.uk/tz-tape/c32)
where the 6, 9 and 12mm tapes are under a tenner plus VAT, for some if
not all colours, and there's no delivery charge.

One mistake I made early on was not reading the "manual" properly and
if I wanted 6 prints of a label I printed single labels 6 times before
finding the multi-print function that will do up to 9 in one go and
save you anything up to an inch of tape for each label, you just need
a pair of scissors.

Another trick with long names is to go for the wider tapes and two
lines of print - it works out a lot cheaper.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's ....
wet!

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 07-10-2011, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Oct 7, 1:02*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 11:56:11 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

pruned

[...]

I'll ask a stupid question
Why do you want to label your plants?
is it so that you can see at a glance what a plant is called, or is it
to keep a record of what you have?
If the latter, then why not keep a list on your computer and just put
a numbered label in with the plant, remembering to keep a back up list
on a memory stick or something, of post it to a hotmail account so
that if your machine goes down you don't loose your list.
David
Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 06:07:13 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:
pruned

I'll ask a stupid question
Why do you want to label your plants?
is it so that you can see at a glance what a plant is called, or is it
to keep a record of what you have?
If the latter, then why not keep a list on your computer and just put
a numbered label in with the plant, remembering to keep a back up list
on a memory stick or something, of post it to a hotmail account so
that if your machine goes down you don't loose your list.
David

In my case (though can't speak for Moonraker) it's a mix of
remembering wot's wot in the ground and, more importantly, wot's wot
in the couple of thousand bedding plants I grow each year. I got fed
up with write-on labels fading (in the bedding case, often before I
got round to planting out). I "printed" lables last May for lots of
things and those outside are still fine. Those for bedding were washed
and re-used this year and have now been washed again ready for re-use
again next year.

I've tried the numbers trick in the past and I have lists on the
computer (and printouts on paper) but neither are really much good
when I'm going round the garden in the rain or for remembering what to
prune or what to dig up in the dormant season when if it isn't
raining, it's still damp and my hands are filthy. Plus if a label will
last as long as these clearly do, and can be re-used for several
years, it's a lot easier overall.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 06:07:13 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

I'll ask a stupid question
Why do you want to label your plants?

In my case I am growing over seventy variteies of Fuchsia's, taken
650+ cuttings, and as they all look the same until next summer, they
need a label.

Last year volunteered to supply thirty cuttings for the memebrs of the
society to grow on , as a comptition, to see who could grow the best,
to be judged at the Annual show, bit of fun, all cuttings taken at the
same time.

Come the day of the show, Members bought back the now fully grown
plants.
How come some were purple, and some were white! They should have all
been a fuchsia called 'Shrimp Cocktail, '
One plant could not even be identified, and we have three RHS trained
fuchsia Judges who were puzzled , so its now being grown on as
'Derricks Folly' (The name change was to spare my blushes!)

Derek

Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
I'll ask a stupid question
Why do you want to label your plants?
is it so that you can see at a glance what a plant is called, or is it
to keep a record of what you have?
If the latter, then why not keep a list on your computer and just put
a numbered label in with the plant, remembering to keep a back up list
on a memory stick or something, of post it to a hotmail account so
that if your machine goes down you don't loose your list.
That is a good idea and what I used to do with my cacti. But it has disadvantages - for example, I notice one has succumbed to the winter, but I'm not planning a major session with the cacti so I haven't got my lap top with me. And although I tuck the label into my pocket to remind me to update later, by the time it's been through the washing machine a couple of times and then got lost in the basement, the opportunity for updating has gone.

I now keep basic info - did it flower this year? when did I last repot it? - on the back of the label.
Old 29-01-2012, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , says...

[...]

Does your engraving have to be free-hand or can you use some sort of
stencil?
I had a small label of this type made for me by a local professional. It was
a small memorial for my Labrador . The label was about 4" x 2" and cost £15
..

Bill