Old 30-10-2011, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default a nice surprise

I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have to
move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate

Old 30-10-2011, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/2011 15:41, Kate Morgan wrote:
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have to
move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate

I am forever pulling up ones up to about 6", I I left them I would have
a oak sapling forest by now.

Old 30-10-2011, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have
to move it but not yet maybe :-)

Do you get jays in the garden? I've no oak tree but every spring we get
several oak seedlings popping up. One or two have turned up in the hedge
but others I've have to remove.

Something brings the acorns in and the culprits are jays, I believe.
This time of year I often see these birds poking around at the bottom
end of the garden, busily planting their hoard. Squirrels seem to be
more into eating or stashing away our hazelnuts before we have a chance
to get any.
--
Sue
..

Old 30-10-2011, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Kate Morgan" wrote
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have
to move it but not yet maybe :-)

Do you get jays in the garden? I've no oak tree but every spring we get
several oak seedlings popping up. One or two have turned up in the hedge
but others I've have to remove.

Something brings the acorns in and the culprits are jays, I believe.
This time of year I often see these birds poking around at the bottom
end of the garden, busily planting their hoard. Squirrels seem to be
more into eating or stashing away our hazelnuts before we have a chance
to get any.
--
Sue
.

Sue do you a swap. One Oak tree for Six Bay Trees and as many Lilly of the
Valley :-( as you like, but give me time to sort those out for transport, I
lost last years :-((

Could also do a nice line in Holly as well. Not bad for a postage stamp
garden ;-)

Mike

Old 30-10-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/2011 15:41, Kate Morgan wrote:
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have to
move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate

That's great, Kate! We have quite a lot spring up in our garden and I
keep as many as I can.

If I were you, I'd lift and move this little tree before it gets too
deeply rooted. Moved now, it will enjoy the warm soil and get its roots
down over winter. Left for very long, it will be harder to lift and you
may damage its roots.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 31-10-2011, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Moonraker
writes
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have to
move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate

I am forever pulling up ones up to about 6", I I left them I would have
a oak sapling forest by now.

I left one in my lawn not that many years ago, it's now about 25 foot
high and growing! I just don't have the heart to cut it down though it
will inevitably shadow part of the vegetable beds.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 31-10-2011, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:53:43 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article , Moonraker
writes
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have
to move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate

I am forever pulling up ones up to about 6", I I left them I would have
a oak sapling forest by now.

I left one in my lawn not that many years ago, it's now about 25 foot
high and growing! I just don't have the heart to cut it down though it
will inevitably shadow part of the vegetable beds.

Much higher and any council official doing a tree survey will say "Oh
look an Oak, here have a tree protection order."

Warwick
Old 31-10-2011, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have to
move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate

Do you have to move it? Space constrictions, perhaps? If so, do it
when it's dormant but more importantly (perhaps) can you give it a
site/cause that will have room for it?

I would leave it but it is about 10ft. outside the kitchen window so there
might be a problem in years to come :-) I am wandering about looking for
somewhere it can grow.
There are jays in the Forest Sue but we are right on the edge and they don't
visit us very often :-(

kate

Old 31-10-2011, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Warwick
writes
Much higher and any council official doing a tree survey will say "Oh
look an Oak, here have a tree protection order."

They won't see it from the road
Old 31-10-2011, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/2011 15:41, Kate Morgan wrote:
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have to
move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate

If it will be unsuitable for your garden, try contacting your local
nature reserve/Forestry commission to see if they coul give it a good
home before it becomes too big to move easily?

Malcolm

Old 31-10-2011, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:05:20 +0000, Malcolm wrote:

On 30/10/2011 15:41, Kate Morgan wrote:
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have to
move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate

If it will be unsuitable for your garden, try contacting your local
nature reserve/Forestry commission to see if they coul give it a good
home before it becomes too big to move easily?

Malcolm

A few years ago my neighbour and I moved a small oak tree from his
garden to a big grassed roundabout. It is now about 15 x 15 feet and
looks really good.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
and from a helicopter or even from Google Earth/Maps?

Actually don't think so as it's next to next door's dying cherry tree
and on this side is a large holly and a hazel so it's amongst a few .
Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
I omitted the smiley.

Oh that's a relief! I can't see Chiltern DC spending that much money on
spying!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-11-01 22:44:42 +0000, Martin said:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 11:49:47 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Martin
writes
I omitted the smiley.

Oh that's a relief! I can't see Chiltern DC spending that much money
on
spying!

There was a BBC TV programme this week, in which a guy living
illegally in a national park in a well camouflaged reproduction Saxon
hut was spotted from the air by a helicopter that was looking for
illegally parked caravans. The sun reflected off the solar panels on
his reproduction Saxon hut roof. It was in a repeat of an episode of
Griff Rees Jones Mountains on BBC HD.
At the time I wondered how they could afford to spend money for that
on a helicopter. :-)

You sound like my husband who, every time the tv does a 'surprise'
arrival at someone's house or whatever, says "isn't it amazing that
the
camerman got inside first?" He's ruined many a moment of
plot-unfolding anticipation for me! ;-)

It might irritate my wife too, if she didn't usually beat me to saying
it. :-)

We think that just about every factual programme on TV is really
fiction, especially the antique and house programmes.

There's a degree of 'manipulation' in all of them but of course, if
there wasn't, they'd be either dull or shambolic, or both!

Some of the antique "experts" give the impression of being clueless
when it comes to valuations and some of the auctions appear to be
rigged.

We both enjoy the Antiques Roadshow (though know of one person who burgled
after appearing on it!) but I don't like the auction programmes. Too much
faked up enthusiasm or disappointment for my liking!
--
Sacha

My sister's house was featured in the local paper's property section as 'The
Property of the week' with all of the hype which goes with it.

Then she got burgled within a few days.

However, when my daughter and son in law had a huge luxury kitchen fitted
and it was used as the companies 'Show Kitchen' in the brochure and
advertising literature, they didn't say where it was or any location
identification. :-))

Mike

Mike

Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post
I have just found a baby oak tree in the garden, We have several large
trees, but no Oaks. It is about a foot tall and I realise I will have to
move it but not yet maybe :-)

kate
What a marvelous thing nature is!
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!

A nice surprise Cat(h) United Kingdom 21 14-03-2007 07:34 PM
Nice Surprise Mark_OK Orchid Photos 1 10-12-2006 10:15 PM
A pleasant surprise Carl Koop Ponds 6 05-06-2003 12:21 AM
Surprise, surprise Zemedelec Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:20 PM
Acuba Picturata a pleasant surprise! Little Badger United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 08:20 PM