Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Where would You live

I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay
Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

I dropped FIVE ranks in the Civil service to return to the Isle of Wight in
the 70's

Not ONE regret. My pension now would have been Megga Bucks had I stayed
where I was, but what is money?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:17:17 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

I've thought about this question a few times on a "what if I won the
lottery" basis, though that would be difficult as I don't play.

But, given the choice, I'd stay just where I am (though I'd try to buy
the field next door). Good neighbours, nice friendly pubs and a good
Indian restaurant plus a range of shops within walking distance,
little crime (touching wood) in the area and weather's not bad really.

Years ago, someone I know had a cartoon hung on their lounge wall. A
field divided into four quarters and, in each, a couple of cows poking
their heads (all clockwise) through the fences to eat the grass on the
other side.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling (after the first frost) from
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/12/2011 18:17, Dave Hill wrote:
I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

South Wales, probably West of Swansea Bay. :-) I firmly believe that
where you live now makes a difference to where you would like to live. I
have a son living in Florida, not for me, far too hot and humid.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/12/2011 18:17, Dave Hill wrote:
I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

The western side of Haleakala, Maui.

It would be at around 3000 feet next to Kula Botanical Garden
(http://www.kulabotanicalgarden.com), with another garden for alpine
plants at 8000 feet.

(Well, you did say that money was no object!).

--

Jeff
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

I'd stay exactly where I am now. Nice quiet area, big garden. I love it.
I know we moan about our climate, but really we shouldn't. No tsumanis, no
hurricanes, nothing bad really.
If I had loadsa money I might like a getaway pad somewhere hot for a few
weeks in winter but other than that I like where I am in Leicestershire.
Tina

Old 12-12-2011, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

Apart from where I currently live, close to friends and familly,
Scilly. Probably in Old Town or on the outskirts of Hugh Town on St
Mary's, or possibly on Agnes.

All of the Channel Islands have their merits and their dis-merits.

Regards
JonH
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:17:17 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill wrote:

I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.

So where would you move to?

On balance probably stay right here, despite the gale blowing outside
and the lashing rain, at 3C it's not quite cold enough for snow.

Before moving here Malaysia quite appealed. I liked the architecture,
the food, the people and for the week or so I spent traveling down
from Thailand to Singapore the weather was good.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

Russel, Bay of Islands, NZ
Lovely climate, quiet, access to the Bay of Islands, views, beaches,
dolphins, beer,............

Remind me why I am in the dark listening to the wind and rain?
Oh, that would be Rotorua ;-)

It wouldn't take a lottery win either; just about £200,000 spare cash.
Sigh.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?

I always wanted to move to one of the houses that were our family farms (on
mothers side) but someone has virtually destroyed the original senior one
except for a remaining bit of the house. Goodness knows why it's been mostly
destroyed and then left like that for, maybe, 20 years.
52°06'50.59" N 1°17'03.91" W

Another one is still there but has changed significantly, they have even
painted the old red brick white !!!
52°07'10.45" N 1°20'04.15" W

However, with money no object the boss has a house in Westwood Road,
Windlesham she is in love with. Probably Bagshot Sand though, so acid and
not too good for growing anything other than Rhodies etc. But hey, I'd have
to cope, probably keep my allotment on and get a big conservatory, and pond,
and let the gardener cope with the acid sand. :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote ...

Dave Hill wrote:

I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.

So where would you move to?

On balance probably stay right here, despite the gale blowing outside
and the lashing rain, at 3C it's not quite cold enough for snow.

Before moving here Malaysia quite appealed. I liked the architecture,
the food, the people and for the week or so I spent traveling down
from Thailand to Singapore the weather was good.

We travelled from Singapore up the West coast across the top and down the
East coast, the latter is amazingly deserted (or was) and even more
beautiful. Agree about the lovely friendly people, it's also the only
Country I've been to where I didn't get an upset stomach and I ate at some
roadside stalls.
Tropical Queensland is stunning too but I doubt I could cope with the
insects, snakes, salties, irukandji and box jellyfish, sharks ..... A
holiday home in Port Douglas would be OK.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-12-2011, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 12, 6:17*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

I have travelled in every continent except Antarctica.
Most places are OK for a few weeks but nowhere I fancy permanently.
Plenty of nice places with dodgy politics. (Including Malaysia/
Thailand.)
Old 13-12-2011, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/12/2011 18:17, Dave Hill wrote:
I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

For me it's not the place itself, it's the people. Location is said to
be the most important thing to take into account when moving home, but
unless I were able take my friends, neighbours and family with me I'll
be staying put no matter how tempting the location.

--
Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies
won't believe it.
Old 13-12-2011, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
I was asked the other day. If I could live anywhere I wanted to, money
no object where would I live.
I'm still thinking, and after 1.25 inches of rain yesterday, and the
forecast of possibly 2 inches tonight to go with gale force winds, I
just wish money was no object.
So where would you move to?
David
Looking down on the wet West end of Swansea Bay

Article in the DT yesterday on a couple who had lived in a remote (VERY
remote) cottage on the west coast of Scotland overlooking Skye.
No road access, use a quad bike and walk. Get to the shops by boat etc.
Quote from the owner "You cannot live on the view".
--
hugh