Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Registered User

Default Underground River

I recently bought a house and was having mains gas installed but when the gas company dug the trench it filled with water very rapidly. As far as I can tell they have not hit a water pipe while digging the trench as my water is fine and I don't believe that anyone else has a pipe through my garden. This leaves only two possibilities that a pipe has burst further up the hill and is flowing underground through my garden or it is a underground river.

The fount of my garden is a bog which I though was just because we had a wet winter but now realise that this isn't the case and this river is only about four meters away from the house so I'm a little worried about the effect on the foundations of the house.

I have the water company coming sometime soon to test the water to see if it is coming from a mains. But if it is an underground river does any one have any bright ideas what I can do about it?

There is a short video clip sowing the extent of the problem here
MVI_1348.MOV - YouTube

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 8, 5:28*pm, Hugh Leslie Hugh.Leslie.
wrote:
[...]

'MVI_1348.MOV - YouTube' (http://tinyurl.com/7lr8e32)

Cheers,

Hugh

--
Hugh Leslie

A river I doubt, but there may be a spring further up the hill which
is flowing down and through your garden.
You don't say where you are,
I know that if I dug a trench in many parts of my ground, the water
flowing from the fields above me would give me almost as much as you
are getting.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

You put a pipe/French drain in and conduct the water away to some
disposal point.
Or you make use of it and have a pond/bog garden.
Just think, you could grow your own frogs and newts!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Turn the 'ditch' into a small stream and lead it into a pond. Let the
overflow go to wherever it goes now!

That is what my daughter and son in law have done here .......

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-DGHIL6O...-of-Other.html

Mike

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Hugh Leslie wrote:

I have the water company coming sometime soon to test the water to see
if it is coming from a mains. But if it is an underground river does
any one have any bright ideas what I can do about it?

Buy a fishing rod?

--
Chris

Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered User

this is interesting as our garden is very boggy and the mud squelches when you walk on it. my husband dug a hole a few years ago and instanty filled up with water, so much so that now when it rainss it fills up with water even more. when i put my address into my sat nav it showed up that there was a small lake where our house was built, so this is concerning too. depsite the fact that no one can use the garden to pay in as the mud is just too bad
Old 09-03-2012, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Hugh Leslie" wrote in message

[...]

At least there will be plenty of water for the water company to test. If it
is groundwater (as opposed to drainage effluent or main water supply, which
they ought to fix) and you are concerned about your foundations, you might
ask your conveyancers and/or surveyors to comment, in case they missed any
indications they perhaps should have warned you about during the purchase
process (e.g. history of flooding from vendors, or signs of damp penetration
etc. from surveyors). In the final analysis, if there is no-one to blame,
but you simply cannot get it out of your mind, you might consult structural
engineers for advice, but that wouldn't be cheap

Old 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Wont be a problem with a modern house, the damp coursing will have no
problem coping, nor will effect that part of your foundations below ground.

Until that test is done, you don't know what you are dealing with, if its a
leaking pipe then when its fixed the problem will go away, if its natural
its been there as long as the house so just make a feature of it. We have an
underground river that passes right under our house, deeper than yours) and
5 natural springs in the kitchen floor, small ones but quite noticeable when
taking the old tiles up! I just tiled them back over using water proof
adhesive.

Mostly this sort of work of draining land etc is just hard graft, not very
technical so don't let anyone part you from a lot of money to sort it

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default winter jasmine care guide please

In article , amme.9cfcbb6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

HI I have got a winter jasmine that i bought last yr and its looking a
bit sorry for itself, when i bought it it had white flowers on and the
leaves were a lovely dark shiny green.

White flowers and lovely dark shining leaves sounds more like summer
flowering jasmine . If so, that's why it is flowerless atm.(it climbs by
twining stems)

Winter jasmine has insignificant leaves, yellow flowers in spring and
the stems are stiff, non-twining.

Janet.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 9, 4:00*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , amme.9cfcbb6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

HI I have got a winter jasmine that i bought last yr and its looking a
bit sorry for itself, when i bought it it had white flowers on and the
leaves were a lovely dark shiny green.

* *White flowers and lovely dark shining leaves sounds more like summer
flowering jasmine . If so, that's why it is flowerless atm.(it climbs by
twining stems)

* *Winter jasmine has insignificant leaves, yellow flowers in spring and
the stems are stiff, non-twining.

* *Janet.

Have a look at jasminum nudiflorum then try Jasminum polyanthum
A big differance between them, there is a white winter flowering
jasmin but like Janet I think you have the summer flowering Jasminum
polyanthum.
I remember a friend had a winter flowering Jasmin against a wall and
after 3 years it had grown around 3 ft, then the wall fell onto it
smashing it badly, a new wall was built and in the next few months the
Jasmin put on almost 5 ft, from then on it never looked back.
The moral.
You can chop it hard back

Old 09-03-2012, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:
On Mar 9, 4:00=A0pm, Janet wrote:
In article , amme.9cfcbb6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

HI I have got a winter jasmine that i bought last yr and its looking a
bit sorry for itself, when i bought it it had white flowers on and the
leaves were a lovely dark shiny green.

=A0 =A0White flowers and lovely dark shining leaves sounds more like summ=

er
flowering jasmine . If so, that's why it is flowerless atm.(it climbs by
twining stems)

=A0 =A0Winter jasmine has insignificant leaves, yellow flowers in spring =

and
the stems are stiff, non-twining.

=A0 =A0Janet.

Have a look at jasminum nudiflorum then try Jasminum polyanthum
A big differance between them, there is a white winter flowering
jasmin but like Janet I think you have the summer flowering Jasminum
polyanthum.
I remember a friend had a winter flowering Jasmin against a wall and
after 3 years it had grown around 3 ft, then the wall fell onto it
smashing it badly, a new wall was built and in the next few months the
Jasmin put on almost 5 ft, from then on it never looked back.
The moral.
You can chop it hard back

Dark green, glossy leaves? Perhaps, but possibly one of the even
more exotic ones. If so, it wouldn't be hardy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered User

Had the people from Scottish water hear to day and they reckoned it was an underground spring. I then dug out some old plans of the house when it was being built in the 60ies and low and behold there is a stream marked on it called Strand Burn.........

Think I might open it up and have a stream running though the garden but my only worry is that the stream runs only a few meters away from the house.....
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 9, 4:55*pm, Hugh Leslie Hugh.Leslie.
wrote:
Had the people from Scottish water hear to day and they reckoned it was
an underground spring. I then dug out some old plans of the house when
it was being built in the 60ies and low and behold there is a stream
marked on it called Strand Burn.........

Think I might open it up and have a stream running though the garden but
my only worry is that the stream runs only a few meters away from the
house.....

--
Hugh Leslie

Well a natural water feature usually adds value to the house if
properly done
and fixed so it won't cause any flooding.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/03/2012 16:23, Dave Hill wrote:
On Mar 9, 4:00 pm, wrote:
In , amme.9cfcbb6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

HI I have got a winter jasmine that i bought last yr and its looking a
bit sorry for itself, when i bought it it had white flowers on and the
leaves were a lovely dark shiny green.

White flowers and lovely dark shining leaves sounds more like summer
flowering jasmine . If so, that's why it is flowerless atm.(it climbs by
twining stems)

Winter jasmine has insignificant leaves, yellow flowers in spring and
the stems are stiff, non-twining.

Janet.

Have a look at jasminum nudiflorum then try Jasminum polyanthum
A big differance between them, there is a white winter flowering
jasmin but like Janet I think you have the summer flowering Jasminum
polyanthum.

GardenersWorld say that polyanthum is "winter and early spring
flowering" but requires shelter.
http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants...thum/2716.html