Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Out, out, damn slug!

Jake wrote in
:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:54:19 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:44:10 GMT, Baz wrote:

Take the plunge, we have all eaten garden snails haven't we?, slugs are
only snails without that shell.

It is interesting that slugs evolved after snails. They are just big
snails with a tiny little shells. That's the bit that sticks between
your teeth

Steve

And between the average slug's 27,000 teeth! Imagine how long the
six-monthly checkup would take!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

Especially if if you walked it up to the dentist on a lead!

Baz
Old 11-06-2012, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 22:30, Spider wrote:
On 10/06/2012 20:09, David Hill wrote:
On 10/06/2012 14:46, Spider wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:25, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from
under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my little
pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the flower bed,
either! ;~)

But taking it off to garden could also cause a few problems

I would blush, but since I was a little girl in freezing Yorkshire (no
heating), I've always dressed under my nightie. Hence, when I take my
nightie off, I'm all kitted out for the garden. There, that's not what
you expected, is it?!

I'd have thought that the wellies would make a mess of your sheets.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/10/2012 01:49 PM, Spider wrote:
After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Shudder indeed. But it reminds me of a still bright memory from long
ago...

I suppose I would have been around 10, and my older sister, perhaps 18,
was being wooed by her first serious young man, an earnest long-haired
type we referred to as "Bog" although I suppose his name must have been
Bob. He rarely smiled, but was full of poetry; serious-like.

Bog was a conducting student and already a confirmed musician who liked
to cut a figure. For his big performance we all trooped out to see him
lead the orchestra in Wagner's Sigfried Idyll, in the music school's
very rural setting. He was resplendent on the podium in tails -- this
was some time ago -- and baggy, flowing pants to match his flowing hair.

As he tapped his polished baton to bring the orchestra to attention, my
younger sister and I noticed a long, fat, orange slug on the side of his
black patent leather. He must have picked it up having a last nervous
smoke outside before the big moment.

The piece began and the orchestra rose in rapturous melody. (If you've
heard it you know what I mean.) The slug rose too, slowly climbing
through the folds of the unsuspecting Bog's pants. The audience, inured
to student performances, remained stoic. My sister and I tittered more
or less quietly, mostly interested in whether it could reach the
flapping jacket tail, and whether it could hold on if it made it. It
did and could, inspired by motion and music, and maybe (we speculated)
the smell of Bog's sweaty mop.

By the end of the piece it had reached the small of his back and settled
in contentedly. Neither whirling bow nor march off stage dislodged it,
but when he returned it was gone. We imagined it had found a tastier
frond to chew on.

No one ever told Bog, but he did win fair maiden so I suppose it came
out well for him in the end!

-E
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2012 09:52, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Wellies by the back door, *slippers* by the bed :~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 23:59, Judith wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:09:54 +0100, David
wrote:

On 10/06/2012 14:46, Spider wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:25, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my little
pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the flower bed,
either! ;~)

But taking it off to garden could also cause a few problems

It sounds like Spider would be using the bare essentials :-)

Nah. I'm allergic to being in the buff. I come up in goosebumps ;~).
Makes me feel chilly thinking about it.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2012 10:59, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

What a lovely story! I do like a happy ending. I don't suppose we'll
ever know what happened to the slug; perhaps that's just as well.

Old 13-06-2012, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, Spider wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Talking of slugs - I have decided to try alternatives to blue things.

I bought a slug trap from Lakeland - popped the beer in - and caught twenty one
of the little blighters last night. I had previously used beer in containers
and they became quite messy - but the beer trap is looking promising and much
cleaner.
Old 13-06-2012, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2012 11:51, Judith wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Talking of slugs - I have decided to try alternatives to blue things.

I bought a slug trap from Lakeland - popped the beer in - and caught twenty one
of the little blighters last night. I had previously used beer in containers
and they became quite messy - but the beer trap is looking promising and much
cleaner.

I've never had much success with ordinary bear traps, but the Lakeland
ones sound better. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 13-06-2012, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Spider wrote:
Talking of slugs - I have decided to try alternatives to blue things.

I bought a slug trap from Lakeland - popped the beer in - and caught twenty one
of the little blighters last night. I had previously used beer in containers
and they became quite messy - but the beer trap is looking promising and much
cleaner.

I've never had much success with ordinary bear traps, but the Lakeland
ones sound better. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Oh my word, those slugs must be massive!
Old 13-06-2012, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/13/2012 9:33 AM, Martin wrote:
We've had major successes using beer in an old saucer to kill slugs.

When my garden had slug problems, I used disposable pie plates. The
drunken little sots were removed to the driveway every morning, where
they made a tasty breakfast for the birds.

Old 13-06-2012, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:51:35 +0100, Judith
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, Spider wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Talking of slugs - I have decided to try alternatives to blue things.

I bought a slug trap from Lakeland - popped the beer in - and caught twenty one
of the little blighters last night. I had previously used beer in containers
and they became quite messy - but the beer trap is looking promising and much
cleaner.

Could beer attract more slugs than it kills?

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 13-06-2012, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2012 15:50, Martin wrote:

wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Talking of slugs - I have decided to try alternatives to blue things.

I bought a slug trap from Lakeland - popped the beer in - and caught twenty one
of the little blighters last night. I had previously used beer in containers
and they became quite messy - but the beer trap is looking promising and much
cleaner.

Could beer attract more slugs than it kills?

Not if you provide enough beer.

But what I want to know is can you drink the beer afterwards?
Old 13-06-2012, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

My cat has just done so !!

Old 13-06-2012, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The big question, though, is whether the beer kills the slugs. the
slugs drown in the beer rather than be killed by it, or do they simply
commit suicide while happy because they're fed up with their normal
diet and depressed because they're homeless?

Cheers, Jake