Old 10-06-2012, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Out, out, damn slug!

Spider wrote in
:

On 10/06/2012 15:13, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

On 10/06/2012 13:25, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100,
wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to
prepare for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress
from under my pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds
of aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I
had no idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my
little pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the
flower bed, either! ;~)

Do you have double glazing? If so, are the frames sealed properly?
Slugs can get into the house through the smallest of gaps. Horrible
things.

Baz

Yes, we do and yes they are, although we do open the window to air the
room. I shall have to stand on guard duty now :~/

No, what I meant is that they will get through at ground level if the door
frames, for example are not sealed. Not through open windows!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:55:33 +0100, Spider wrote:

The last time I trod on a slug, I slipped on its innards and nearly fell
all the way down our very steep drive :~/. Dangerous things, these slugs.

I had a horrible experience with one of those big red/brown slugs. I
must have run over it while I was on my wheel chair and it stuck to
the tyre. I suddenly realised I had a squashed slug on my hand.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:44:10 GMT, Baz wrote:

Take the plunge, we have all eaten garden snails haven't we?, slugs are
only snails without that shell.

It is interesting that slugs evolved after snails. They are just big
snails with a tiny little shells. That's the bit that sticks between
your teeth

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:54:19 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:44:10 GMT, Baz wrote:

Take the plunge, we have all eaten garden snails haven't we?, slugs are
only snails without that shell.

It is interesting that slugs evolved after snails. They are just big
snails with a tiny little shells. That's the bit that sticks between
your teeth

Steve

And between the average slug's 27,000 teeth! Imagine how long the
six-monthly checkup would take!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 16:54, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:44:10 GMT, wrote:

Take the plunge, we have all eaten garden snails haven't we?, slugs are
only snails without that shell.

It is interesting that slugs evolved after snails. They are just big
snails with a tiny little shells. That's the bit that sticks between
your teeth

Steve

Steve, that is just *so* disgusting! Haven't you got a stone to hide
under? ;~))

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:44:10 GMT, wrote:

Take the plunge, we have all eaten garden snails haven't we?, slugs are
only snails without that shell.

It is interesting that slugs evolved after snails. They are just big
snails with a tiny little shells. That's the bit that sticks between
your teeth

Steve

And between the average slug's 27,000 teeth! Imagine how long the
six-monthly checkup would take!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

Don't encourage him, Jake!

Urrghh! .. 27,000 plant-eating teeth .. horrendous!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 16:16, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:06:35 +0100, wrote:

Yuk! I made that discovery. Usually I wipe the slime off on the house
wall or some other rough surface. Last night, I tried washing my hands
with the result you describe. Yuk yuk yuckety-yuk!

In the spirit of self-promotion, here's a little tome I composed on
the subject of slugs a few weeks ago ...

http://www.rivendell.org.uk/garden/?p=290

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

That's really interesting, and most amusing, too. You have a lovely
turn of phrase, Jake, making your work very readable. I shall have
another look later and investigate your Birmingham Botanic Garden blog.

Thank you.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 16:49, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:55:33 +0100, wrote:

The last time I trod on a slug, I slipped on its innards and nearly fell
all the way down our very steep drive :~/. Dangerous things, these slugs.

I had a horrible experience with one of those big red/brown slugs. I
must have run over it while I was on my wheel chair and it stuck to
the tyre. I suddenly realised I had a squashed slug on my hand.

Steve

Disgusting! As we have learned, it's not easy to wash slug - especially
sluggie squamata - off one's hand. Hugely unpleasant.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 16:24, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

On 10/06/2012 15:13, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Right. Understood. I th-th-think the ssssseals are okay ... reaches
for the metaldehyde.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 15:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under
my pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

I reckon you must have had a slug on you when you went to bed the night
before and that is how got into your nighty. Of course it means you
slept with it all night. Sweet dreams. :-)

Thanks for sharing that thought, Bob. I feel even better now! :~

Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-10 15:59:54 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Spider" wrote

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to
prepare for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress
from under my pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

I reckon you must have had a slug on you when you went to bed the
night before and that is how got into your nighty. Of course it means
you slept with it all night. Sweet dreams. :-)

OR - this is getting a bit A Christie - it was a clean nightdress. The
slug got into the washing basket, was dehydrated when ironed and simply
folded up and put away clean!

Thank you, at least, for surmising that it was a clean nightdress.
However, I do as little ironing as I can get away with ... I *never*
iron slugs - no matter how creased they are!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-10 15:59:54 +0100, "Bob said:

"Spider" wrote

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under
my pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

I reckon you must have had a slug on you when you went to bed the night
before and that is how got into your nighty. Of course it means you
slept with it all night. Sweet dreams. :-)

OR - this is getting a bit A Christie - it was a clean nightdress. The
slug got into the washing basket, was dehydrated when ironed and simply
folded up and put away clean!

Selection of string instruments playing very quickly in the background

OR, it was RG, using the sugar tongs, in the bathroom, after the
argument about what to watch on TV in the sitting room.

Hearty chuckle! :~)) No. RG is always glad to let me watch "that
rubbish" :~}!

OR the slug was a ballet dancer named Hercule that did a Poirotette
into the nightie while drunk from the next door neighbours' beer trap.

Surely not. Beer isn't good for ze little grey cells.

Nah, then, Ms Rutherford, 'ow did t'slug get into t'washing basket? Or
are you suggesting that Spider is extremely slow in getting the
washing off the line, giving the slug plenty of time to mosey into the
basket while it's on the lawn being filled?

Couldn't 'ave been that, Officer. Spider mowed the lawn first and
minced all the sluggies up, good'n'proper.

But the mystery deepens yet more! Madam Spider keeps her CLEAN stuff
under the pillow!

Well, I would hardly keep DIRTY linen under the pillow, young man! The
very idea!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 14:46, Spider wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:25, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my little
pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the flower bed,
either! ;~)

But taking it off to garden could also cause a few problems
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 20:09, David Hill wrote:
On 10/06/2012 14:46, Spider wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:25, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my little
pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the flower bed,
either! ;~)

But taking it off to garden could also cause a few problems

I would blush, but since I was a little girl in freezing Yorkshire (no
heating), I've always dressed under my nightie. Hence, when I take my
nightie off, I'm all kitted out for the garden. There, that's not what
you expected, is it?!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:09:54 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 10/06/2012 14:46, Spider wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:25, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my little
pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the flower bed,
either! ;~)

But taking it off to garden could also cause a few problems

It sounds like Spider would be using the bare essentials :-)