Old 17-06-2012, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default More mushrooms

Ophelia wrote:
Don't you get an Adult Education leaflet through the door every year
from the local council? We do and it lists all the courses that the
various centres are running that year. Fungi identfication is
normally in there, alongside Flamenco Dancing and Drystone Walling.

Which did you choose ...

Burlesque.

Old 17-06-2012, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Don't you get an Adult Education leaflet through the door every year
from the local council? We do and it lists all the courses that the
various centres are running that year. Fungi identfication is
normally in there, alongside Flamenco Dancing and Drystone Walling.

Which did you choose ...

Burlesque.

Cool!!!!!!!!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 17-06-2012, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Don't you get an Adult Education leaflet through the door every year
from the local council? We do and it lists all the courses that the
various centres are running that year. Fungi identfication is
normally in there, alongside Flamenco Dancing and Drystone Walling.
Which did you choose ...
Burlesque.

Cool!!!!!!!!!

Slightly chilly.

So, not too many clothes then?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 17-06-2012, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
Don't you get an Adult Education leaflet through the door every year
from the local council? We do and it lists all the courses that the
various centres are running that year. Fungi identfication is
normally in there, alongside Flamenco Dancing and Drystone Walling.
Which did you choose ...
Burlesque.
Cool!!!!!!!!!

Slightly chilly.

So, not too many clothes then?

Not generally, by the end.

Old 17-06-2012, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 09:56:24 +0100, Ophelia wrote:

Don't you get an Adult Education leaflet through the door every

year
from the local council? We do and it lists all the courses that

the
various centres are running that year. Fungi identfication is
normally in there, alongside Flamenco Dancing and Drystone

Walling.

Which did you choose ...

Well I haven't the legs for Flamenco or the flexibilty for
Burlesque...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 18-06-2012, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-16 01:01:39 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
To be frank, I wonder, sometimes, why we bother to discuss this on here
so often. Over and over again we have people who come in asking for an
ID on fungi. I think them to be exceedingly unwise.

Oh give over. It's often me, and of those times it's almost always been
posted witha very clear "I am not planning on eating them, I'm just
curious what they are". And yet absolutely every time I have had you
and your "don't do it!!" and Christina and her multiple "I did it and I
was ill!" messages.

It's a shame really, that asking for suggestions to identity is suddenly
so frowned on, as I've found the /other/ posts in the thread quite
interesting.

It's not all about you, Vicky. Over time, we've had several people asking
that question and I think it's a very dangerous way to go about
identifying fungi. You can go on asking, if you wish and I - and others -
can go on saying we think this is a dangerous practice.
--

Interestingly, today, I noticed the same type of mushroom that made me ill
has appeared in exactly the same place in my garden. One only, it's always

Tina

Old 18-06-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Don't you get an Adult Education leaflet through the door every year
from the local council? We do and it lists all the courses that the
various centres are running that year. Fungi identfication is
normally in there, alongside Flamenco Dancing and Drystone Walling.
Which did you choose ...
Burlesque.
Cool!!!!!!!!!
Slightly chilly.

So, not too many clothes then?

Not generally, by the end.

lol

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-06-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 09:56:24 +0100, Ophelia wrote:

Don't you get an Adult Education leaflet through the door every

year
from the local council? We do and it lists all the courses that

the
various centres are running that year. Fungi identfication is
normally in there, alongside Flamenco Dancing and Drystone

Walling.

Which did you choose ...

Well I haven't the legs for Flamenco or the flexibilty for
Burlesque...

The drystone walling then ... ?

Old 18-06-2012, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Interestingly, today, I noticed the same type of mushroom that made me ill
has appeared in exactly the same place in my garden. One only, it's always
just the one - 3 or 4 inches across, white on top, looks exactly like a safe
one. Will I eat it? Nope. It's been chewed a bit by something, but that
something will never be me!
If there are mushroom experts here, I could pull it up see what colour the
gills are and whether it has a frillie thing on the stem - but I don't think
I would have eaten it before if the gills hadn't been brown which may have
lulled me into a sense of false security.
If it helps, underneath poplar trees, shady garden.

Well, I am no expert, but I am one of the people who could probably
make a reasonable stab at it. But it would help a lot if you do
the following, and preferably take pictures of all aspects as you
do this:

1) Get it out intact, right down to the base, and then check the
following three points (of which more than one may be the case).
2) Check whether it has a ring (i.e. a thin membrane joining
the cap to high up on the stem).
3) Check whether it has a volva (i.e. a thin membrane joining
the cap to the base of the stem).
4) Check whether it has any other trace of a thin membrane
covering it.
5) Cut it in half, vertically, as carefully as possible, and
note if its gills run down the stem, join the stem or are free
of the stem.
6) Take measurements of cap width and total height, and preferably
cap and stem thickness.
7) Break the cap and stem of one half apart, carefully, and check
whether any of the gills remain attached to the cap.
8) Separate one half cap into two, carefully, and place the
quarters gill side down on some blackish paper and some white paper.
9) After a day or so, spores should have fallen on the paper,
and report the gill colour and spore colour.

I think that's all, without a field microscope :-)

You don't need to do all of that to identify a field mushroom,
but you do need to do it all to identify 'mushroom-like' fungi
even approximately. See why they are tricky?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-06-2012, 12:11 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post

Interestingly, today, I noticed the same type of mushroom that made me ill
has appeared in exactly the same place in my garden. One only, it's always
just the one - 3 or 4 inches across, white on top, looks exactly like a safe
one. Will I eat it? Nope. It's been chewed a bit by something, but that
something will never be me!
If there are mushroom experts here, I could pull it up see what colour the
gills are and whether it has a frillie thing on the stem - but I don't think
I would have eaten it before if the gills hadn't been brown which may have
lulled me into a sense of false security.
If it helps, underneath poplar trees, shady garden.

Tina
Please do - it would be interesting to know what it was that made you so ill.
__________________
Old 19-06-2012, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;962159 Wrote:

[...]

OK, I will pick it a bit later on when I go down to the hens to cover up
their food from the ratties, so it will be around dusk, and then try and
describe it on here. I'll start a new thread called My poisonous mushroom
when I have it in front of me otherwise it might get lost in this thread.

Old 19-06-2012, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:
"kay" wrote in message

If there are mushroom experts here, I could pull it up see what colour
the
gills are and whether it has a frillie thing on the stem - ...

Please do - it would be interesting to know what it was that made you so
ill.

But please try to follow my checklist - mere gill colour and the
presence of a 'frilly thing' on the stem won't help :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2012, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:
"kay" wrote in message

If there are mushroom experts here, I could pull it up see what colour
the
gills are and whether it has a frillie thing on the stem - ...

Please do - it would be interesting to know what it was that made you so
ill.

But please try to follow my checklist - mere gill colour and the
presence of a 'frilly thing' on the stem won't help :-(

I know. I will pluck it later this evening and it will be described fully.
Let's see if anyone knows what it is.
It certainly made me ill by looking so safe.
Let's see what you all think it might be later.

Old 20-06-2012, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:
I do know a field mushroom when I see one, but anything else is too
risky. Supermarket mushrooms R me now. Never again. :-(

I doubt it, based on personal study and the statistics
of fungus poisioning.

So-called "field mushrooms" are frequently confused with
lethal species. Many others are much more simply and accurately
identified.