Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grow it Magazine.

I bought it once because it had free seeds I wanted and now I have an e-mail
from them in my private e-mail box.
How can that happen?
It's from here as I once posted about it in the group and there is only one
person who knows my private address so their computer is hacked.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-11 23:17:04 +0100, Christina Websell said:

I bought it once because it had free seeds I wanted and now I have an
e-mail from them in my private e-mail box.
How can that happen?
It's from here as I once posted about it in the group and there is only
one person who knows my private address so their computer is hacked.

If you bought online, you probably had to give an email address. I
always tick the "no further contact" type boxes but still often get
emails. Then I just go to their address and click on 'unsubscribe'.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
I bought it once because it had free seeds I wanted and now I have an e-mail
from them in my private e-mail box.
How can that happen?
It's from here as I once posted about it in the group and there is only one
person who knows my private address so their computer is hacked.
Does the email state your home address?

If not, it is probably coincidence. If your email address has ever been on the internet, there's a fair chance that it will find its way on to a list used by spammers.
__________________
Old 14-04-2013, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-11 23:17:04 +0100, Christina Websell said:

I bought it once because it had free seeds I wanted and now I have an
e-mail from them in my private e-mail box.
How can that happen?
It's from here as I once posted about it in the group and there is only
one person who knows my private address so their computer is hacked.

If you bought online, you probably had to give an email address. I
always tick the "no further contact" type boxes but still often get
emails. Then I just go to their address and click on 'unsubscribe'.

If you know a person's name it is fairly easy to find their address,
so long as it is fairly rare.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

But I bought the magazine from a supermarket once and no one
saw me do it.

They were looking at this group- no other explanation.

Old 14-04-2013, 08:50 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Christine, you haven't told us yet ..

you got a spam email from them, so they know your email address.

Did the also use your name?

Did they also use your real (snail mail) address?

If all they've got is your email address, then it doesn't necessarily come from urg, nor, as you suggest, does it mean that the one person on urg who knows your email address has had their computer hacked.
__________________

Old 14-04-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-11 23:17:04 +0100, Christina Websell said:

I bought it once because it had free seeds I wanted and now I have an
e-mail from them in my private e-mail box.
How can that happen?
It's from here as I once posted about it in the group and there is only
one person who knows my private address so their computer is hacked.

If you bought online, you probably had to give an email address. I
always tick the "no further contact" type boxes but still often get
emails. Then I just go to their address and click on 'unsubscribe'.

If you know a person's name it is fairly easy to find their address,
so long as it is fairly rare.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

But I bought the magazine from a supermarket once and no one
saw me do it.

They were looking at this group- no other explanation.

or the garden forum that steals our messages.

It must be great to be so important that Grow it Magazine selects just
you from all the members of this group to offer their magazine.
You must feel so special.
Old 14-04-2013, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 23:17:04 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I bought it once because it had free seeds I wanted and now I have an e-mail
from them in my private e-mail box.
How can that happen?
It's from here as I once posted about it in the group and there is only one
person who knows my private address so their computer is hacked.

Competition entrys require email.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 14-04-2013, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay.be01551
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Christina Websell;980915 Wrote:
...-
-
On 2013-04-11 23:17:04 +0100, Christina Websell said:
-
[...]

Christina posts to many usenet groups, where according to her
conversations she has private email contact with other posters.

Janet
Old 15-04-2013, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-11 23:17:04 +0100, Christina Websell said:

I bought it once because it had free seeds I wanted and now I have an
e-mail from them in my private e-mail box.
How can that happen?
It's from here as I once posted about it in the group and there is only
one person who knows my private address so their computer is hacked.

If you bought online, you probably had to give an email address. I
always tick the "no further contact" type boxes but still often get
emails. Then I just go to their address and click on 'unsubscribe'.

If you know a person's name it is fairly easy to find their address,
so long as it is fairly rare.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

I bought it from a supermarket and posted once on here about it.

Old 15-04-2013, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:47:43 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Martin in Zuid Holland

But I bought the magazine from a supermarket once and no one
saw me do it.

They were looking at this group- no other explanation.

or the garden forum that steals our messages.

It must be great to be so important that Grow it Magazine selects just
you from all the members of this group to offer their magazine.
You must feel so special.

Use of invalid addresses must result in a lot of bounced messages too
:-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Are you mad or something? I do not use an invalid address and I take
objection to what you've said about "being important."
I have no idea how Grow It Mag got my e-mail address, unless from here.
I bought one copy from a supermarket and posted here about it.

Old 16-04-2013, 04:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;981021 Wrote:

I bought it from a supermarket and posted once on here about it.

Christine, you haven't told us yet ..

that my name isn't Christine.

you got a spam email from them, so they know your email address.

But how?

I bought one magazine from a supermarket and posted about it here.
Of course they got my e-mail address from here.

Let's say I buy the same mag from a supermarket and don't have a computer
and tell you all about it.
Will they write to me?
Of course not as they have no idea I bought it.

Old 16-04-2013, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 04:25:04 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;981021 Wrote:

I bought it from a supermarket and posted once on here about it.

Christine, you haven't told us yet ..

that my name isn't Christine.

you got a spam email from them, so they know your email address.

But how?

I bought one magazine from a supermarket and posted about it here.
Of course they got my e-mail address from here.

Let's say I buy the same mag from a supermarket and don't have a
computer and tell you all about it.
Will they write to me?
Of course not as they have no idea I bought it.

Christina,

I've just sent you a test email.

If it arrives O.K. then it will demonstrate that anyone who looks at this
news group can get a valid email address for you.

If you post about a magazine and include the name of the magazine in your
post then it isn't too difficult to tie you to the magazine.

A simple use of Google shows
http://gardensfurniture.co.uk/united-kingdom/206792-grow-magazine.html

A simple Google of 'Christina Websell' shows your posts and an email
address all over the place.

I would expect that if you have an address of
'
then any address such as ' should also
be delivered to you.

The advice about posting to Usenet used to be to use a sacrificial email
account or an invalid email account because otherwise you were inviting
loads of SPAM.

Where you get an email account which includes your name as the last
component of the domain (and is usually designed to allow you 'unlimited'
email addresses) then merely publishing the email domain name is likely to
make you vulnerable.

I doubt that anyone's email account would need to be hacked to target you
with this particular email.

I note that you have deliberately avoided confirming that the email you
received from Grow It Magazine had any personal information included
beyond your name and a valid email address.

I think you may have gathered from other responses that it is generally
considered unlikely that Grow It Magazine would have gone to the trouble
to hack someones email account just to be able to send you an email
message.

It is more likely that someone has trawled the gardening news groups and
web sites for valid email addresses using conventional search tools.

It does not, however, reflect well on Grow It Magazine if they are sending
unsolicited emails.

Have you checked that it is, in fact, from Grow It Magazine and not some
phishing attempt?

I think you should be approaching them (assuming it was a valid email) and
asking them where they got your email address and also that they show you
where you opted in to receive marketing emails.

http://www.out-law.com/page-4222 suggests
"The Code states that the explicit consent of consumers is required befo
"marketing by e-mail or SMS text transmission, save that marketers may
market their similar products to their existing customers without explicit
consent so long as an opportunity to object to further such marketing is
given on each occasion.""

As you have posted that you bought the magazine then you have identified
yourself as an existing customer which gives them some wriggle room but
assuming it was them, this is clearly not in the spirit of the Code as you
didn't knowingly supply them with an email address.

Regards

Dave R
Old 16-04-2013, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-16 08:45:33 +0100, Martin said:

wrote:

Martin in Zuid Holland

But I bought the magazine from a supermarket once and no one
saw me do it.

They were looking at this group- no other explanation.

or the garden forum that steals our messages.

It must be great to be so important that Grow it Magazine selects just
you from all the members of this group to offer their magazine.
You must feel so special.

Use of invalid addresses must result in a lot of bounced messages too
:-)
--

Are you mad or something?

Try reading messages properly.

I do not use an invalid address

You should do. Why do you think others do?

and I take
objection to what you've said about "being important."

Object to David Hill. I didn't say that.

I have no idea how Grow It Mag got my e-mail address, unless from here.
I bought one copy from a supermarket and posted here about it.

What is posted here is copied without our permission to commercial
forums.

And several of them that I've come across by accident. It's very
probable that commercial interests scan e.g. gardening groups, health &
fitness groups, cookery groups, and use non-munged addresses for
publicity purposes. Christina needs to change her email address and
then munge it before using newsgroups any further. It's a bit like a
press cuttings agency. People are paid to trawl publications for the
mention of a person or a product. I'm sure the same happens on the
internet!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com