Old 06-07-2013, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default And speaking of organic...

Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with
a fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.
Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic
being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're
grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add
maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown
organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and
harvesting take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with
lettuce plants a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a
bad name though thankfully, not all do this.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with
a fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.
Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic
being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're
grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add
maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown
organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and
harvesting take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with
lettuce plants a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a
bad name though thankfully, not all do this.
--

Sacha

That was a good advert!!

Mike

Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote...

Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with a
fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces. Ours
are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic being more
expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're grown in (if
different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add maybe 1p to the
whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown organic veg being more
expensive as their care, treatment and harvesting take more man hours, this
is absolutely not the case with lettuce plants a couple of inches high.
This gives organic growers a bad name though thankfully, not all do this.

Our little local nursery, Dunkirk Nursery in Egham, sells all veg plants at
£1 for a strip of 12 and very good quality. It means it's actually not
worth your while growing them yourself unless you want something specific.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-06 17:37:13 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote...

[...]

This year, veg sales have boomed and the six packs and the strips are
very popular, so are the herbs. Obviously, these aren't things we send
out, it's simply not worth it to us or the customers. But we have
noticed an increase in young people coming in and my guess is they're
concerned about what they put in their children's mouths! But fair's
fair re pricing! A lot of people buying baby plants don't have the
time, or don't have a greenhouse to start them off, so it's definitely
not worth their while trying to do it themselves.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2013 17:28, Sacha wrote:
Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with a
fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.
Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic
being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're
grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add
maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown
organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and harvesting
take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with lettuce plants
a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a bad name though
thankfully, not all do this.

Oh come on Sacha the supermarkets are full of vastly overpriced and over
packaged Organic(TM) produce to pander to the whims of the worried well
with more money than sense. They deserve to be ripped off.

Minimum inputs growing is rational but the irrational fear of all
chemicals that Organic(TM) growers and the Henry Doublespeak association
stand for it just a cynical license to print money.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2013 17:28, Sacha wrote:
Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with a
fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.
Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic
being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're
grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add
maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown
organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and harvesting
take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with lettuce plants
a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a bad name though
thankfully, not all do this.

Ouch to both prices, but then when B&Q are selling packs of Radish plants,
I suppose people will buy anything
Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-06 17:57:03 +0100, Martin Brown said:

[...]

I don't know what it costs to raise truly organic veg to market size. I
do know that what I've cited above is - to us - a rip-off.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with
a fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.
Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic
being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're
grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add
maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown
organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and
harvesting take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with
lettuce plants a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a
bad name though thankfully, not all do this.

This is one of those times when some git charges £2.50 for 6 and another
git charges £3.50 for 6. For goodnes sake all are grossly overpriced.
I would pay £1 for 50. If anyone would need to. It should be classed as
illegal, extortionate, or just pure greed. Yuk.

Baz
Old 07-07-2013, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-07 10:23:53 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

[...]

We are not greedy, Baz. Please don't expect nurserymen and their staff
to work from 8 in the morning until 5 at night, or later, in all
weathers, so that you can pay too little for quite a lot. There's a
big difference between making a living and profiteering and
approximately 40p a plant for which someone else has done the basic
work and bought the seed, is hardly expensive! You appear to think we
should be a charity and give you cheap plants. Like every other
business, we have to pay wages, insurance, taxes, council tax, rates,
oil bills, maintenance and if we're lucky, eat. Just because these
are plants, there are a few people like you who appear to think a
nursery business is just an offshoot of hobby gardening and that they
should be sold for twopence. Very offensive.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Old 07-07-2013, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 11:48:10 +0100, wrote:

Ah - diddums.

You are the bad person here.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:28:35 PM UTC+1, Sacha wrote:
Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with

a fifth of our staff, is charging �3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.

Ours are �2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic

being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're

grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add

maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown

organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and

harvesting take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with

lettuce plants a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a

bad name though thankfully, not all do this.

--

Sacha

www.hillhousenursery.com

South Devon

www.helpforheroes.org.uk

For m...privacy.net

Try costing it out on realistic, and I mean realistic,
figures and you might change you tune - the 'ingredients'
and labour are NOT a nil...

Jenny in Bristol

Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Sacha" wrote...

[...]

Just found this, can't believe they have a Facebook page. Must be one of the
Grandchildren's doing.

https://www.facebook.com/DunkirkNurseryEgham

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/2013 10:23, Baz wrote:
Sacha wrote in :

[...]

Yes Baz I could do you 50 lettuce plants for £1.00 but they would be
sown in open ground and pulled bare root, chance of survival to give you
a hearted lettuce about 5%.
We used to sell trays of 48 lettuce plants for £1.00 including the tray,
but that was in the early 60's
In 1976 I bought 1000 gallons of Red Diesel and 500 galls of paraffin
for £86, yesterday I went out and got 2 Jerry cans of Petrol cost was
just over £56.
During a debate in Parliament on 5th May 1960 regarding Farm Workers'
Wages the following statement was made
" farm workers are still working longer hours for less wages, a
46-hour week for a minimum of £8"
Now a school leaver will get at least Grade 1 above compulsory school
age £242.19 a week
or £ 6.21 an hour and £9.32 an hour overtime.
After 30 weeks they are supposed to be able to move on to Grade 2
£271.44 a week
or £6.96 an hour and £10.44 an hour overtime.
See Agricultural Wages Board for - Gov.uk