Old 21-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Bob Hobden

Default New Park.

BlankKnowing that professional gardeners etc, read this Ng does anyone know
of sources of cash grants for the making and equipping of Parks and open
spaces?

The reason I ask is that our allotment site is to become a park but the
Council say they have little money to provide what the locals want, indeed
the last thing I heard was that no playground equipment would be provided
for the kids and even trees could not be funded. A grass field only then.
Might as well leave it as the nature reserve it has become.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 21-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
BlankKnowing that professional gardeners etc, read this Ng does anyone know
of sources of cash grants for the making and equipping of Parks and open
spaces?

Sponsorship from local firms will bring in small amounts, sufficient for
buying plants. Large companies often will have award schemes which you
can compete for and will bring in up to a few hundred.

Do you have 'MICE' money - funds that local councillors can give to
projects of their own choosing in their own ward?

.... if you haven't yet got your local councillors on board, do so
straight away.

Similarly round here, developers have to either provide 10 percent
public open space or give an equivalent amount of money to the council -
see if you can get your paws on that.

Do you have 'Community Involvement teams' - groups of local
representatives headed by a councillor, to help council know what local
people want - if so, get a representative on to that.

Also, see if you have any umbrella group for the local voluntary sector
- it's an invaluable source of advice.

It's a full time job, fund raising ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Jim W

Bob Hobden wrote:

BlankKnowing that professional gardeners etc, read this Ng does anyone know
of sources of cash grants for the making and equipping of Parks and open
spaces?

The reason I ask is that our allotment site is to become a park but the
Council say they have little money to provide what the locals want, indeed
the last thing I heard was that no playground equipment would be provided
for the kids and even trees could not be funded. A grass field only then.
Might as well leave it as the nature reserve it has become.

I would guess that agenda 21, and various sutainable development grants
(both central and EU) might be in order here..

Try also funderfinder? (its either co.uk or com .. not sure)

I have an article from OG mag that mentions a study where the value of a
wilderness has been calculated.. It is far more valuable than say, a
development site.

If I find the ref I will post it..
//
Jim

Old 21-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Kay Easton

In article 1fyge2y.n3cf531ldmfuoN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
Bob Hobden wrote:

I have an article from OG mag that mentions a study where the value of a
wilderness has been calculated.. It is far more valuable than say, a
development site.

If I find the ref I will post it..

Please do! As one of the people looking after a nature park which is
next to a development site, I'd be very interested!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Jim W

Bob Hobden wrote:

I have an article from OG mag that mentions a study where the value of a
wilderness has been calculated.. It is far more valuable than say, a
development site.

If I find the ref I will post it..

Please do! As one of the people looking after a nature park which is
next to a development site, I'd be very interested!

--
Kay Easton

Its around somewhere Kay.. Just so many bits of paper;-) It will turn
up;-)
//
Jim
Old 21-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message
Knowing that professional gardeners etc, read this Ng does anyone know
of sources of cash grants for the making and equipping of Parks and open
spaces?

Sponsorship from local firms will bring in small amounts, sufficient for
buying plants. Large companies often will have award schemes which you
can compete for and will bring in up to a few hundred.

Lots of business around here so that is worth a try idc.

Do you have 'MICE' money - funds that local councillors can give to
projects of their own choosing in their own ward?

... if you haven't yet got your local councillors on board, do so
straight away.

I'll ask about this, one problem is our local councillor is very political
so I might have to get devious. ;-)

Similarly round here, developers have to either provide 10 percent
public open space or give an equivalent amount of money to the council -
see if you can get your paws on that.

Do you have 'Community Involvement teams' - groups of local
representatives headed by a councillor, to help council know what local
people want - if so, get a representative on to that.

I'm on the "Focus Group" for the Park and it was the forthcoming first
meeting that prompted my question. I want to be prepared. :-)

Also, see if you have any umbrella group for the local voluntary sector
- it's an invaluable source of advice.

It's a full time job, fund raising ;-)
--

I did hope we could get hold of some of the Landfill Tax Credit money that
is lying about but it appears that can't be used on Council owned property,

Old 21-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message
I have an article from OG mag that mentions a study where the value of a
wilderness has been calculated.. It is far more valuable than say, a
development site.

If I find the ref I will post it..

Please do! As one of the people looking after a nature park which is
next to a development site, I'd be very interested!

Quite, as someone who gardens in a nature reserve (little used allotment
site) I too would be interested especially as the local kids I spoke to
recently said they didn't want a boring sterile park and preferred the
existing wilderness (with a couple of allotments)... more interesting they
said.

Old 21-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Similarly round here, developers have to either provide 10 percent
public open space or give an equivalent amount of money to the council -
see if you can get your paws on that.

Do you have 'Community Involvement teams' - groups of local
representatives headed by a councillor, to help council know what local
people want - if so, get a representative on to that.

I'm on the "Focus Group" for the Park and it was the forthcoming first
meeting that prompted my question. I want to be prepared. :-)

No, that wasn't what I meant. I don't know if it's just a leeds idea or
national, but in each ward there is a group headed by a councillor with
representatives from, eg, Civic Society, environmental groups,
neighbourhood watch, voluntary groups for the elderly, residents'
groups, etc. The idea is that the council is able to consult the
community on what the community wants the council to spend their money
on in their area.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 22-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Jim W

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Kay wrote in message
Do you have 'Community Involvement teams' - groups of local
representatives headed by a councillor, to help council know what local
people want - if so, get a representative on to that.

I'm on the "Focus Group" for the Park and it was the forthcoming first
meeting that prompted my question. I want to be prepared. :-)

No, that wasn't what I meant. I don't know if it's just a leeds idea or
national, but in each ward there is a group headed by a councillor with
representatives from, eg, Civic Society, environmental groups,
neighbourhood watch, voluntary groups for the elderly, residents'
groups, etc. The idea is that the council is able to consult the
community on what the community wants the council to spend their money
on in their area.

Nothing around here like that, we have had a public consultation exercise a
couple of years ago regarding the park and the new community centre. The
latter is now built, using up most of the money, and now attention turns
back to the park.

You must have some groups etc.. Think BTCV, mebbe local permaculture
groups? The Tree trust?.. Other conservation groups, Wildlife trust
etc.. WHat about hortic students and uni's etc. Theres a bit Hortic
college in Surry??.
( I Couldn't find a any specific LA21 information for your council area
but there are at least 2 in Surrey (Yes I KNOW its a huge county)..
THese aren't direct sources of funding but they are likley to KNOW about
partial funding or other sources within the Horticultural area?? BTCV
or uni/colleges might be sources of project contributions or input
labour tho;-)
//
Jim

Slightly less relavent but the BBC & RHS is trialling a new "master
Gardener" Scheme modelled on the American structure..
Old 22-07-2003, 07:38 PM
The Devil's Advocate

If it's anything like the allotments near us that have been converted you'll
get a varying band of trouble makers who will disturb the peace on and off
till nearly ten sometimes. Make sure you don't build any shelters that the
youths can congregate in

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
:
: The reason I ask is that our allotment site is to become a park but the
: Council say they have little money to provide what the locals want, indeed
: the last thing I heard was that no playground equipment would be provided
: for the kids and even trees could not be funded. A grass field only then.
: Might as well leave it as the nature reserve it has become.
:
: --
: Bob
:
: www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an Allotment site in

Old 23-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Bob Hobden

"Jim W" wrote in message :

[...]

Oh yes we have various groups but no overseeing group as Kay suggests, at
least not one I or anyone else around here has ever heard of.
We have Surrey Wildlife Trust who said "let us know when it is to be turned
into a park and we will remove all the Slow Worms to somewhere safe", don't
think I would expect much financial or practical help from that quarter.
Merrist Wood is the big Hort college you are thinking about, and they may be
able to provide some help re sources of funding although our Council are to
employ Landscapers to clear the land and grass seed it from what I hear so
it's not that area we want funding for, it's trees, flowers and equipment
including CCTV.