Old 06-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Jeff Coles

Default Borage (Off Topic - Top Posting discussion)

Personally, when I read the NG's I would prefer top postings, as I already
know the question, I find it irritating having to trawl throught the
question again to find the reply. I realise it can get complicated when
answers digress from the original question ( as this reply has, in
spectacular fashion. Poor Mike Read only got a couple of replies before the
thread went barmy!)

Mike's original question----

I noticed another allotment always has borage and decided to plant
some, but I now note its an annual. Does it self seed?
--
Mike Reid

Arthur's reply----

Yes - copiously.

- Arthur

Nick Maclaren's reply---

Only if it likes the conditions - it doesn't establish itself
with me.

Now, let's see if we get another infernal top poster, and can turn
this thread into something totally incomprehensible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Regards Jeff, oh sorry Mike, I can't help you with your question.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in

message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
snip
Somewhere there must be a set of rules for this newsgroup. In those

rules
the suggestions for good posting might be listed. That certainly is

so
in
the case of another ng in which I participate. Moreover, the rules

of
that
ng are reposted approximately once monthly.

You can check out the "official" netiquette recommendations at
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

3.1.3 NetNews Guidelines covers news group posting.

I would love to see that, but the page appears to be unavailable.

I checked the URL before posting and it resolved OK for me.

Perseverance pays. Today it worked for me too. Thanks for the ULR. It is
very much worth reading.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 06-08-2003, 10:02 AM
The Reid

Following up to Jeff Coles

Poor Mike Read only got a couple of replies before the
thread went barmy!)

Its OK, i'm enjoying the same old top/bottom debate, just with
different people :-)
I shall put some borage seed in next spring and assume it will self
seed the way it appears to have done on a neighbouring allotment,
perhaps one day I will get a chance to ask the owner. It slighlty
amazes me that there are several other allotmenters I have only ever
seen once or twice even though I go all different times.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 06-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Lynda Thornton

In article , The Reid
writes
Following up to Jeff Coles

Poor Mike Read only got a couple of replies before the
thread went barmy!)

Its OK, i'm enjoying the same old top/bottom debate, just with
different people :-)
I shall put some borage seed in next spring and assume it will self
seed the way it appears to have done on a neighbouring allotment,
perhaps one day I will get a chance to ask the owner. It slighlty
amazes me that there are several other allotmenters I have only ever
seen once or twice even though I go all different times.

Hi

I'm not top-posting because you should be able to see my response with
no probs! We had borage on our allotment some years ago, which I
planted from seed, and it grew to over 5ft high, had absolutely masses
of flowers and was covered in bees! It also self-seeded along with the
nasturtiums and a large part of the allotment turned into a field of
nasturtiums with borage!! I've grown some borage in large pots this
year, just stuffed a few seeds in and they all germinated and are now
about 2-3ft high and full of lovely flowers, so easy to grow and such
spectactular plants, very good value. I didn't plant them until late
June or early July (can't quite remember now) and took a chance, which
worked as we've had a lot of hot weather I suppose. I planted Empress
of India nasturtiums around them (dark red) but they haven't flowered
yet although they have grown well enough, so I live in hope!

Lynda

Old 09-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

Following up to Jeff Coles

Poor Mike Read only got a couple of replies before the
thread went barmy!)

Its OK, i'm enjoying the same old top/bottom debate, just with
different people :-)
I shall put some borage seed in next spring and assume it will self
seed the way it appears to have done on a neighbouring allotment,
perhaps one day I will get a chance to ask the owner. It slighlty
amazes me that there are several other allotmenters I have only ever
seen once or twice even though I go all different times.

Perhaps they go all different times too?

Talking of self-set seeds, I started turning some of the lawn in the
pocket-handkerchief of my front garden into a bed. Some of the seeds
which have germinated there are to be expected: grasses, spurges,
dandelions, thistles, violas, etc, but some plants surprise me.

Nicotinia - I would not have expected the seeds to have survived the
winter, but they almost form a carpet.
Foxgloves - dunno where the nearest plant is
Lobelia, but no alyssum.
Last, but by no means least, a groundnut.

Actually, the last one doesn't surprise me too much: assuming the actual
peanut to be hardy, about six feet away from where it was growing I put
out a net of nuts for the birds when it was cold, and kept it topped-up.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.

Old 09-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Please elaborate

Could someone elaborate on the following quote in simple language for me as I seem to be making all the classic mistakes. I appreciated advice on netiquette as am new to newsgroups. Am ex-hotmail, now uko2 and am not currently beseiged.

"Not if you use a doctored account for usenet like I do. Unfortunately I
cottoned on to this trick only after my adress had been harvested, but
hopefully my doctored account keeps the spammers at bay.

[Franz Heymann]"
Old 10-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message 3fcea991630c1885209910a206cd3f1a@TeraNews
from hrafndot contains these words:

Could someone elaborate on the following quote in simple language for me
as I seem to be making all the classic mistakes. I appreciated advice
on netiquette as am new to newsgroups. Am ex-hotmail, now uko2 and am
not currently beseiged.

"Not if you use a doctored account for usenet like I do. Unfortunately
cottoned on to this trick only after my adress had been harvested, but
hopefully my doctored account keeps the spammers at bay.

If you hit 'reply by e-mail' or whatever your newsreader says to this
post, it will bounce. If you want to reply, a working address is
provided at the bottom of my posts, as required by AUP*

You can use various filters too

* Accepted User Policy
Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

If you hit 'reply by e-mail' or whatever your newsreader says to this
post, it will bounce. If you want to reply, a working address is
provided at the bottom of my posts, as required by AUP*

You can use various filters too

* Accepted User Policy

Sorry, forgot about this one: unplugged everything because of an
approaching flashtbang weathery thing [1] and it got sent when I
reconnected everything.

You should be able to create mailboxes in your newsreader. Unless you
register them with your ISP they won't work. So, you invent an e-mail
address like and post on Usenet using it, the
spambots [2] only pick that address. As yet, they haven't been able to
access the 'Reply To' field in your header without actually opening the
post.

[1] Wot missed. :-(

[2] robots which trawl through newsgroups and harvest addresses

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.

Borage Mark Anderson Gardening 21 15-03-2011 07:54 PM
Posting wrongfully in HTML instead of plain text and posting JPG's madgardener Gardening 26 24-03-2005 11:59 AM
Top Posting; Snop Posting: STOP POSTING! chagoi Ponds 8 17-11-2004 03:08 PM
Borage The Reid United Kingdom 35 07-08-2003 09:41 PM