Old 28-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Stephen Kellett

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

In message , Tim Ward
writes
out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the
status of Northern Ireland?

What?
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk
Old 28-09-2003, 11:23 AM
JennyC

"William.R.Reisen" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get

too
hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because

most
of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one

with
approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
together myself.

Thanks.

My cousin has a two of those seagoing containers in his garden to
house his collection of antique motorcycles and the workshop that goes
with them.

They are lined with insulation material behind plywood (orsomesuch
material). Nice and warm and no windows at all. Can be locked up tight
with padlocks etc.

I've no idea where he got them from, and you'd need to be able to get
in delivered with a crane.

Jenny

Old 28-09-2003, 11:33 AM
-

In article , JennyC
writes
I've no idea where he got them from,

Fell off the back of a lorry??

An interesting idea though, I have worked in a few for short periods and
although there was electric lighting I missed having a window or two.
--
-- Bill
Old 28-09-2003, 11:33 AM
John Rumm

Kev wrote:

heater in there. If you go this route I would suggest putting in a
proper wall heater that can run overnight to take the chill off if it
drops too low.

a couple hundred watts of computer left running (with the monitor turned
off) would do the job nicely ;-)

(and put less strain on the hard drive by not power cycling it every day)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old 28-09-2003, 11:33 AM
JennyC

"-" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes
I've no idea where he got them from,

Fell off the back of a lorry??

Well it fell right side up and inbetween the barn and the woodpile
:~))))))

An interesting idea though, I have worked in a few for short periods

and
although there was electric lighting I missed having a window or

two.
-- Bill

I'd imagine you could cut windows in the side if so desired. My cousin
likes to hide from his wife............:~))

Jenny

Old 28-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Mary Fisher

My cousin has a two of those seagoing containers in his garden to
house his collection of antique motorcycles and the workshop that goes
with them.

Oh yes - that reminds me of lorry backs, the refrigeration units would be
well insulated.

Our daughter has several on her farm, there are plenty of 'dead lorry backs'
depots around. Look in Yellow pages or Google for one near you.

Mary

Old 28-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Steve Firth

David Hill wrote:

What ever happened to the good old British £ ?

News only guarantees transmission of 7 bit ASCII characters. The pound
sign is an 8-bit ASCII character and will be filtered out by some news
servers. The same goes for all those idiots that think it's clever to
put characters from the extended Windows character set into their posts.
Some servers will strip the characters and replace them with blanks,
some sill simply drop that particular post on the floor.

Since you're a gardener, the best response is probably "there, there,
don't you worry it's a bit technical."

--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.
Old 28-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Tim Ward

"Stephen Kellett" wrote in message
In message , Tim Ward
writes
out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the
status of Northern Ireland?

What?

I'm trying to work out why someone should invent "UKP" in preference to
using the ISO standard "GBP". That was the only explanation I could come up
with, Northern Ireland being in UK but not in GB, I thought that perhaps
someone who wanted to make a political statement about Northern Ireland
being part of the UK would object to using "GBP". Can you think of any other
reason for inventing "UKP"?

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk

Old 28-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Bob Eager

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:04:55 UTC, "Tim Ward"
wrote:

I'm trying to work out why someone should invent "UKP" in preference to
using the ISO standard "GBP".

1) I saw it in use first
2) It's more accurate
3) Stuff ISO - standards committees are often a waste of time

Well, you did ask!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old 28-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Owain

"William.R.Reisen" wrote
| I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
| building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
| insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
| hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
| equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
| of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
| windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
| seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
| approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
| fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
| together myself.

You could consider something like an Omar Lodge, which can be built to
transportable or B.Regs standards. Not Cheap Though. omar.co.uk and ask for
a custom quote because the nearest thing on the website is probably a 6
bedroom Leisure Lodge which is probably slight overkill.

Owain

Old 28-09-2003, 03:02 PM
IMM

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
William.R.Reisen wrote:

I'm thinking of one with approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any

suggestions
for a vendor that fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not

against
putting it together myself.

Much depends on how much dosh you have. I like English Heritage
buildings which are framed in green oak.

Is this a company? Do they have a web site?

---

Old 28-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Stephen Kellett

In message , Tim Ward
writes
out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the
status of Northern Ireland?

What?

I'm trying to work out why someone should invent "UKP" in preference to
using the ISO standard "GBP". That was the only explanation I could come up
with, Northern Ireland being in UK but not in GB, I thought that perhaps
someone who wanted to make a political statement about Northern Ireland
being part of the UK would object to using "GBP". Can you think of any other
reason for inventing "UKP"?

Good grief Tim, you are over-analysing way too much. I've seen UKP used
before, it hasn't been invented to make a political stand.

Taking your logic a stage further... When you install Windows it asks
you for configuration information. Country options include "United
Kingdom" not "Great Britain". Are Microsoft making a political statement
about Northern Ireland with their Windows Installation procedure? Using
the logic you provide above, you'd have to conclude they are.
Old 28-09-2003, 03:02 PM
IMM

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

But they look awfull, unless you put a wood frame around and clad it. Which
may be feasible.

---

Old 28-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Huge

"Owain" writes:
"William.R.Reisen" wrote
| I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
| building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
| insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
| hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
| equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
| of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
| windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
| seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
| approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
| fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
| together myself.

You could consider something like an Omar Lodge, which can be built to
transportable or B.Regs standards. Not Cheap Though. omar.co.uk and ask for
a custom quote because the nearest thing on the website is probably a 6
bedroom Leisure Lodge which is probably slight overkill.

A Google search for "second hand portakabin" yields many interesting looking
hits

Old 28-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Huge

"Bob Eager" writes:

[8 lines snipped]

3) Stuff ISO - standards committees are often a waste of time

That'll be why your internet connection works, will it?