Old 29-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Stephen Kellett

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

In message , David Hill
writes
"........real plant people don't use the common
names. Latin names all the time, unless you ask them what they are talking
about. ....."

It's called baffling them with "Bull Shit"

:-) From what I can tell its a sensibly designed naming system. I hope
that was a joke considering the name of your business.

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk
Old 29-09-2003, 06:22 PM
David Hill

"................From what I can tell its a sensibly designed naming system.
I hope that was a joke considering the name of your business.........."

Well a Dahlia is a Dahlia, just a few thousand different varieties world
wide.

You have to use some common sense, Thyme not Thymus, Jasmine not Jasminum,
Chrysanthemum has kept its name if you are referring to spray, bloom or pot
types.
Also you would be more likely to talk about carnations, or garden pinks or
rockery pinks rather than just Dianthus,
You just have to use common sense.
Often the botanic name is used to avoid confusion, such as with Campanula
isophylia alba instead of "Star of Bethlehem" which could also be
Ornithogalum umbellatum or Angraeceum sesquipedale or a lot of native wild
flowers.
And so on and so forth...
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message
but why are you sad, Sid?

Withdrawal symptoms having moved 200 miles from where I spent much of my
life.
When you are working you meet many people to share your achievements and
failures with.
When you are retired you do something and then feel slightly irked that
there is no-one to pat you on the back, make sarcastic comments or tell you
how much better you could have done it....

Don't worry, Sid. Urg can fill that particular gap in spades :-)

Janet.

Old 29-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Owain" contains these words:

"Sad Sid" wrote
| I've just finished digging 900ft of ditch, laying drainage pipes, an
| alkathene water pipe with five stand points, and installing an armoured
| garden ring-main with IP65 sockets.

You must live in an awfully rough area, to have to have an armoured garden.

Its the times we live in; lots of posters seem to want armoured
gardens these days. How about intalling a tank in the greenhouse and a
gunnera at the gate?

Janet.

Old 29-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Mary Fisher

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
What about your own projects which have been hanging fire for years - to

say
nothing of the new ones you've just thought about?

I've just finished digging 900ft of ditch, laying drainage pipes, an
alkathene water pipe with five stand points, and installing an armoured
garden ring-main with IP65 sockets.
I am currently building a 20ft by 20ft fruit cage, containing raised beds
for three varieties of strawberry, blackcurrent, redcurrents, a single
tayberry and three rows of raspberries.
When it rains I am building a computer for my prospective son-in-law and
editing 28 hours of digital video taken when my wife and I spent three

weeks
living with hill-tribe villagers in Thailand.

Quite.

And I bet there are plenty more in the pipeline.

I don't watch much telly - and I sleep extremely soundly!

We sleep extremely soundly and don't have a telly ...

Mary

Old 30-09-2003, 10:04 AM
William.R.Reisen

Thanks for all your advice.

As has been mentioned planning permission would more than likely be
required,
I'd be wary though, if you stride into the planning office asking for
permission to build an office in the back garden then the answer will
probably be no. A garden room, studio or the like would probably be better
received. Try talking to a planning officer about their policy in this area
in general without giving away any details.

Also what is your location, rural or urban?

My location is rural. What difference may this make planning permission?
Old 30-09-2003, 10:32 AM
IMM

"Old Codger" wrote in message
news
"Tim Denning" timdenning@spam this you ****
blueyonder.co.uk wrote in message

As has been mentioned planning permission would more than

likely be
required,

I don't believe planning permission is required for a garden
shed or a summer house. It is surprising the uses there are
for a good summer house.

It also has to fall inside permitted development constraints.

---

Old 30-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Will Trash-Spam

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:42:02 +0000 (UTC), "Will Trash-Spam"
wrote:

And soon as you show up on councils radars
as running a business from home, beware....

What experiences have you had then? Change of use or what?

It wasn't me it was a neighbour. He was (and in part still is) running a
kitchen fitting business from his home. The council got wind of the fact he
was basically using one room for an office and his garage for a workshop and
found this out because they were a bit upset that large lorries kept
delivery goods in a residential area (that was how they started anyway i.e.
the trigger on the radar). I guess someone complained.

Anyway in the end they made him move out of his garage BUT he managed to
keep his "home office" because it also had a domestic use (well thats what
he argued). It did take him a bit of stress and a while to convince them
though, they were mumbling about business rates and that our development is
a residential development, hence no designed for "business" traffic
(whatever the fupp that means).

The irony is he still has stuff delivered to home in big lorries (less often
admittedly), but then moves it from his garage (store) to his (at the
moment) free rent workspace from the council!

Its also ironic that there are at least 8 or 9 people who work from their
homes and I know 3 of them run businesses out of their homes.

Old 30-09-2003, 01:32 PM
IMM

wrote:

[...]

The government is to provide provision for people to work from home in the
new 4 million homes to be built. So, penalising people who do work from
home seems rather silly.

---

Old 30-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim Lawton

wrote:

[...]

Well, there's a bit of a difference between writing software in the back
bedroom, or gluing small items of craftwork in thegarage, and having b*dy great
8 wheelers delivering 10 ton loads. I think I'd be a bit peeved if that started
happening in my residential area...

---

Old 30-09-2003, 04:12 PM
NJF

Jim Lawton wrote:

Well, there's a bit of a difference between writing software in the back
bedroom, or gluing small items of craftwork in thegarage, and having b*dy great
8 wheelers delivering 10 ton loads. I think I'd be a bit peeved if that started
happening in my residential area...

Hummm, perhaps, one near us at home has covered 60% of his back garden in with a
solid roofed "car-port" thus keeping his products and equipment dry under-cover and
prying eye's unable to see what he's doing, save an occasional truck during the day
when most of us are at work, and his large van that's kept elseware, it doesn't
intrude, and atleast he's not dumping his rubbish in the local woods unlike some
part-time builders and gardeners do....One less burden on the tax payer seems fine
to me....

niel.

Old 13-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Ian Diddams

A few years ago (1999) I has something similar made - but 8 x 6 feet
only FYI. Wooden shed, extra wide door (for tables to get in and
out), insulated. Had a frost free base laid (bricks and concreete
AIUI!), shed went on that. Paid a sparky to puit in the leccy, then
BT put in a phone line. It can be chilly in the winter - but I first
had a electric radiator on a timer in there to keep the damp/cold at
bay (and believe me in 8 x 6 feet it didn't take long for it to be
swealtering! Now I have several systems running 24 x 7 I don;t bother
with the heater as the systems create enough heat top prevent damp in
the paperwork. A small fan heater does for if I get chilly.

Total cost about a grand - but its really a case of how long is a
piece of string. The insulation is (for me) a must, otherwose all you
have is a woodern shell against the elements. Security isn;t too big
a deal as the only system that is "KEY" and worth £££ is my laptop
which lives in the house with me. You could make of security what you
will of course - door bolt, internal hinge bolts - no windows would be
best of course ! Then you could use wall brackets etc to tether
equipment to - a client of mine has steel cages that are fixed to the
floor within which systems are locked and you could probably finf
something similar if you had a concrret base to afix them to.

As for size you might get away with smaller than you think - don;t
forget you have 5-6 feet of height to play with also. A smaller room
will heat easier (maybe the systems will be enough on their own) and
of course be cheaper to buy. you'd be surprised for instance how much
you can fit in 8x6 feet - I've a small network running with a desk and
a bookshelf/filing shelf easily, with a small window.

ian