Old 22-10-2003, 05:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Mushrooms!

Hi,

I have been somewhat neglectful of the garden of late, but have noticed that
there are some mushrooms growing in the lawn.

The growth is pretty widespread, and I don't recall seeing anything like
this before.

If you go to http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~chelodge/Mushrooms/ you will
see five pictures.

So:

(1) Please don't shout at me because of the state of the lawn, I know it is
a mess!

(2) Any reason why (perhaps dryness) this season should see a widespread
growth of mushrooms? As they are mostly in lines I presume they are growing
along tree roots. The lawn hasn't been mown for months because with no rain
it hasn't been growing.

(3) Can anyone identify these mushrooms 100% accurately from the pictures? I
would like to know if they are an edible crop before zapping the lawn with
the mower. However I don't want to die prematurely.

Regards

Dave R

Old 22-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Ophelia

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have been somewhat neglectful of the garden of late, but have noticed

that
there are some mushrooms growing in the lawn.

The growth is pretty widespread, and I don't recall seeing anything like
this before.

If you go to http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~chelodge/Mushrooms/ you will
see five pictures.

So:

(1) Please don't shout at me because of the state of the lawn, I know it

is
a mess!

I wouldn't dare

(2) Any reason why (perhaps dryness) this season should see a widespread
growth of mushrooms? As they are mostly in lines I presume they are

growing
along tree roots. The lawn hasn't been mown for months because with no

rain
it hasn't been growing.

I am sure someone better than me can advice you on that

(3) Can anyone identify these mushrooms 100% accurately from the pictures?

would like to know if they are an edible crop before zapping the lawn with
the mower. However I don't want to die prematurely.

They look like horse or just common mushrooms and although it is just a
picture they are showing nothing that would indicate them as non edible

I would cetainly eat one

Ophelia

Old 22-10-2003, 05:32 PM
June Hughes

In article , Ophelia
writes

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have been somewhat neglectful of the garden of late, but have noticed

that
there are some mushrooms growing in the lawn.

The growth is pretty widespread, and I don't recall seeing anything like
this before.

If you go to http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~chelodge/Mushrooms/ you will
see five pictures.

snip
They look like horse or just common mushrooms and although it is just a
picture they are showing nothing that would indicate them as non edible

I agree and would also get someone in the know to look at them.
I would cetainly eat one

Ophelia

PS Hi Ophelia, what are you doing here? (I have a funny feeling I have
said that before - if so, apols).
--
June Hughes
Old 22-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Ophelia

"June Hughes" wrote in message

PS Hi Ophelia, what are you doing here? (I have a funny feeling I have
said that before - if so, apols).

LOL yes you have)

Nice to see you here

Old 22-10-2003, 05:42 PM
David W.E. Roberts

[...]

http://www.agarics.org/DatabaseAction.jsp?recordName='Field%20Mushroom'

This looks pretty close - they certainly smell 'mushroomy' instead of inky
or acid.

The challenge - to find someone in Suffolk who can identify it face to face.

We have enough for a few mushroom feasts or a very elaborate funeral.

If they are edible, how do we keep them cropping? The database says 'rich
soil' which doesn't really describe our back lawn. Fed it for the first time
for a while this year - could this have started something?

Cheers
Dave R

Old 22-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

(3) Can anyone identify these mushrooms 100% accurately from the pictures? I
would like to know if they are an edible crop before zapping the lawn with
the mower. However I don't want to die prematurely.

Not from the pictures. They look like a species of Agaricus, but as
there are forty Agaricus species in the UK, without careful examination
of specimens by an expert you shouldn't try them in any quantity.

They are not one of the deadly species of mushroom, though it is just
possible that they could cause an upset stomach. (Two Agaricus species
can do that to one person in ten-ish.)

Those two can be identified very easily by cutting the bottom of the
stipe of a young specimen. If it turns strongly yellow *INSTANTLY*,
don't eat it.

If they don't turn yellow, in your shoes I would pick them and freeze
them, then find someone who can identify them for you. The British
Museum of Natural History (Dept of Mycology) used to do that, and
usually send a reply by return. Unfortunately that function has been
taken over by Kew Gardens, but my one letter to them (with s.a.e.) has
gone unanswered all summer and autumn, so I guess they're a dead loss.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 22-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

The challenge - to find someone in Suffolk who can identify it face to face.

Well, I'm in South Norfolk and could do so. Unfortunately I have to
reassemble bits of car into one lump, then get it tested and taxed. But
if you want to bring some to Bunwell, let me know.

We have enough for a few mushroom feasts or a very elaborate funeral.

I'd bet a pound to a penny against the funeral.

If they are edible, how do we keep them cropping? The database says 'rich
soil' which doesn't really describe our back lawn. Fed it for the first time
for a while this year - could this have started something?

Seems like it. Just keep it moist.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 23-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Jason Pope

Ophelia wrote:

They look like horse or just common mushrooms and although it is just a
picture they are showing nothing that would indicate them as non edible

I would cetainly eat one

But be careful, two of the top experts in the field of mushroom care
died a while back through mis-identifying edible mushrooms!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 23-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jason Pope
writes
Ophelia wrote:

They look like horse or just common mushrooms and although it is just a
picture they are showing nothing that would indicate them as non edible

I would cetainly eat one

But be careful, two of the top experts in the field of mushroom care
died a while back through mis-identifying edible mushrooms!

More details, please?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 23-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Jason Pope

Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Jason Pope
writes

Ophelia wrote:

They look like horse or just common mushrooms and although it is just a
picture they are showing nothing that would indicate them as non edible

I would cetainly eat one

But be careful, two of the top experts in the field of mushroom care
died a while back through mis-identifying edible mushrooms!

More details, please?

I can't seem to place where I read it, I believe it was a husband and
wife team, the husband died a couple of years before the wife?
The name Chadek comes to mind but I may be wrong?!

Jason

Old 23-10-2003, 01:12 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

The challenge - to find someone in Suffolk who can identify it face to

face.

Well, I'm in South Norfolk and could do so. Unfortunately I have to
reassemble bits of car into one lump, then get it tested and taxed. But
if you want to bring some to Bunwell, let me know.

We have enough for a few mushroom feasts or a very elaborate funeral.

I'd bet a pound to a penny against the funeral.

If they are edible, how do we keep them cropping? The database says

'rich
soil' which doesn't really describe our back lawn. Fed it for the first

time
for a while this year - could this have started something?

Seems like it. Just keep it moist.

Moist? MOIST??? Garden has been dry since about June! Still, rained last
night :-)

Thanks for the offer of an identification - hell bent on DIY at the moment
but will bear you in mind :-)

Old 23-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Ophelia

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

They look like horse or just common mushrooms and although it is just a
picture they are showing nothing that would indicate them as non edible

I would cetainly eat one

But be careful, two of the top experts in the field of mushroom care
died a while back through mis-identifying edible mushrooms!

Really? Who were they?

Well I am still alive though that might not mean a lot)

Ophelia

Old 23-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Jason Pope contains these words:

But be careful, two of the top experts in the field of mushroom care
died a while back through mis-identifying edible mushrooms!

Must have been self-appointed experts then. I really can't think of one
edible mushroom an expert could confuse with a deadly species.

OK, there are a lot of edible mushrooms I wouldn't touch because I
haven't a powerful enough microscope to examine the spores to *make
sure*, but that's because I acknowledhe the limitations of my expertise.

I have been eating wild mushrooms unscathed since about 1950...

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 23-10-2003, 02:14 PM
martin

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:53:39 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from Jason Pope contains these words:

But be careful, two of the top experts in the field of mushroom care
died a while back through mis-identifying edible mushrooms!

Must have been self-appointed experts then. I really can't think of one
edible mushroom an expert could confuse with a deadly species.

OK, there are a lot of edible mushrooms I wouldn't touch because I
haven't a powerful enough microscope to examine the spores to *make
sure*, but that's because I acknowledhe the limitations of my expertise.

I have been eating wild mushrooms unscathed since about 1950...

a mind unhinging experience? :-)
--
Martin
Old 23-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

/snip/
I have been eating wild mushrooms unscathed since about 1950...

a mind unhinging experience? :-)

Not on your nellie - though I knew where they grew.
o o
o ° o o
W O ° o °
o o