Old 25-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Fox's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhh

The message
from "Chris" contains these words:

Ah so its not just my garden they like , so apart from the obvious which is
get my mate round with his shot gun ( ducks for incoming don't shoot our
fox's replies ) how can we stop the darn things or just make them go to
someone else's?????

Ask your mate to bring his shotgun. Try to use nothing smaller than No.4 shot.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 25-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

As to the OPs problem foxes and cats don't get on but thats probably
as case of "out of the frying pan into the fire".

LOL. My cousin's neighbour heard a rumpus of yips and squeaks in the
kitchen. A litter of foxcubs were playing happily, having followed the
cats in through the cat flap. The cats were sitting on the table
watching their empty food dish get chased round the floor.

Janet.

Old 25-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Derek Turner

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:42:15 +0100, "Chris"
wrote:

Any help would be useful but I have tried all the normal stuff. It needs to be "RADICAL" I feel.

I find 36g of lead shot travelling at just over 1400 ft/sec works
well. Radical enough?

--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Old 25-10-2003, 03:32 PM
LordSnooty

wrote:

Any help would be useful but I have tried all the normal stuff. It needs to be "RADICAL" I feel.

I find 36g of lead shot travelling at just over 1400 ft/sec works
well. Radical enough?

Certainly if it was aimed in your direction, perfect.

Prick troll.

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.801% richest people in the world.
There are 5,951,930,035 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 48,069,965
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/
Old 25-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Pam Moore

To get rid of foxes.................
.......................... call in the local hunt!

Not my idea, but heard on Radio 4 The Now Show at lunchtime today!

Sorry, the pee idea is better.

Pam in Bristol

Old 25-10-2003, 06:02 PM

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
news : On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:42:15 +0100, "Chris"
: wrote:
:
:
: Any help would be useful but I have tried all the normal stuff. It needs
to be "RADICAL" I feel.
:
: I find 36g of lead shot travelling at just over 1400 ft/sec works
: well. Radical enough?
:
: --
: Derek Turner
:
Oh big man ... when you're behind it but probably very little man in front
of it.

Old 25-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Mary Fisher

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
To get rid of foxes.................
......................... call in the local hunt!

Not my idea, but heard on Radio 4 The Now Show at lunchtime today!

Sorry, the pee idea is better.

Except that it doesn't work.

Mary

Pam in Bristol

Old 25-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:55:30 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Sorry, the pee idea is better.

Except that it doesn't work.

Mary' have you tried it? LOL

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
To get rid of foxes.................
......................... call in the local hunt!

Not my idea, but heard on Radio 4 The Now Show at lunchtime today!

Sorry, the pee idea is better.

Except that it doesn't work.

Mary's right.

Despite my efforts on the compost heap a fox consumed a pigeon on it
this week.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 25-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Jason Pope

Chris wrote:

Any thoughts , is it just my garden they like or do they trash everyones ??????

Any help would be useful but I have tried all the normal stuff. It needs to be "RADICAL" I feel.

Cheers
Chris

12 bore shotgun?
Maybe some of that "cat-off" stuff will work on them?

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 25-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Chris

oldmolly wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message
Ah so its not just my garden they like , so apart from the obvious which

is
get my mate round with his shot gun ( ducks for incoming don't shoot our
fox's replies ) how can we stop the darn things or just make them go to
someone else's?????

You simply purchase a cheapo battery powered electric fence energiser and
run a strand of electric twine at about 10 - 12" from the ground. They

will
only get zapped a couple of times before moving on to your neighbours

land.
I have such a thing for sale if you are interested :0)

Looks like I might have started something here :-)

mmmm looks like the lecy fence idea may be a starter.

Just out of curisoity how much is your lecy fence and what does it come with
???

Chris

PS and where abouts are you , I am southcoast based .

Old 25-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Chris

Pam Moore wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:42:15 +0100, "Chris"
wrote:

How do I get rid of them or move them on ,

Now I heard somewhere just recently that animals scent-mark their
territory with urine.
The way to beat them is to mark your territory with some of your own!
How you do that is up to you!
I'd like to know if it works, but have no foxes to test it on!
Good luck.

Pam in Bristol

Yes Pam , now I have heard that one as well, I did sort of try it for a few
days but it didnt seem to bother them that much and if anything it made them
spray more :-(

Chris

Old 25-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Chris

Mary Fisher wrote in message
t...

Yes our urban fox is a very sweet creature BUT NOT IN MY GARDEN
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nor mine.

We've lost several hens to them. They didn't eat the hens, just killed

them.
In the daytime. Always.

Our lot are now day time cruisers as well , scared ( well thats a bit
strong ) annoyed one today which was kipping in one of the flower beds.

Its getting to the point where I wait by the back door and chase them

off
when I see them , but one cant do that all night. They are even getting
cheeky enough to just casually walk off now when I shout at them , where

as
they use to scarper at first.

Yes. They also come during the day, or when we're in the garden, and look
indignantly at us if we dare to walk towards them.

Why me !!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not just you.

I was begining to think it was only my garden they trashed , neighbours say
they see them but never have any trouble!!!!!

Any thoughts , is it just my garden they like or do they trash everyones

??????

They didn't trash our garden but they caused a LOT of unhappiness. Our

hens
are as precious to us as some people's dogs and cats are to them.

Any help would be useful but I have tried all the normal stuff. It needs

to be "RADICAL" I feel.

Renardine does work but you have to apply it very frequently and it

becomes
expensive.

Been there, done that , I think they actually liked it !!!!!!!!

Man-made deterrent simply didn't work for us, despite everyone's claim

that
it does.

The most prickly hedging was sneered at, thick fur coats is impervious to
hawthorn, berberis, holly, pyracantha and anything else you can name.
Believe me, we tried it all.

Because we're in the inner city we can't shoot them or call in the hunt. A
'humane' trap would only move the problem somewhere else.

Barbed wire along the tops of fencing was disdained.

Loose chicken netting along the top of fencing, might work, we never saw a
fox scale that. The idea is that even if they jump up to it the netting
won't hold their weight so they don't persist.

We had to make a high fence (two metres) of chain link supported by a

steel
framework, which they couldn't scale. But neighbours' wooden fences with

3"
wide wooden cappings made it easy for these apparently circus-trained
acrobats to walk along and hop over our fence at the corner.

The answer was to weld thin upright steel rods, 3" apart, along the top of
the steel fence framework. They're about 18" high and to date (fingers
crossed) have done the dibs. We haven't had a hen killed in months. In

fact
the foxes seem to have given up trying, we haven't seen one for ages.

The problem is that some neighbours like to see fox in their gardens and
encourage them. In some places - not ours - fox are attracted by dustbins
because of all the food which is discarded. Not only do we discard food

but
our bins are fox-proof. But the myth that fox are fluffy wuffy nice ickle
animals persist among those who don't suffer from them.

Oh how true a word spoke ................. I was talking to a old lady today
and she was saying how sweet it was now her garden fox has had three cubs ,
she feeds them and they almost come in the house. But guess what they never
wreck her garden grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Apart from a mechanical deterrent I can't help you - but I sympathise ...

Thanks for the support though .

Chris

Mary

Cheers
Chris

Old 25-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Chris

Most of us are quite happy to share our gardens with nature and all it
throws at us, wildlife in the garden is a big, big bonus and often
encouraged. It's only the selfish bigots who complain, but then they
shouldnt have a garden, they dont deserve one.

Yes all very nice in a dream world Mr Snotty but let me pop round and have a
Cr*p in your lounge, tear your carpet up that you have just had put down, oh
and for good measure I will trash a few ornaments.
Don't get me wrong , I love wild life and positively encourage the birds
etc, but then that will start me on another problem which is the dam magpies
which are muscling in on the poor sparrows etc, the foxs were no trouble at
first, that was around 5yrs ago, they kept themselves to themselves now they
seem to outnumber the local cats and dogs !!!!

Old 26-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Jason Pope

Chris wrote:
oldmolly wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

Erm, you could be opening yourself up to legal problems!
If someone was to come on your property and get shocked you could be sued!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....sort=3&rows=50

Does it realy fox the fox? John Towill United Kingdom 292 14-02-2004 09:34 AM
It's a Fox...not a coon... BenignVanilla Ponds 3 07-08-2003 01:32 PM
Is my Flying fox an SAE Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 19-06-2003 10:32 AM
Fox toilet Judy Rigby United Kingdom 16 22-05-2003 07:08 PM
Urban fox hedgehog United Kingdom 5 18-03-2003 05:20 PM