Old 26-10-2003, 10:22 PM
oldmolly

Default Fox's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhh

"Chris" wrote in message

Most of us are quite happy to share our gardens with nature and all it
throws at us, wildlife in the garden is a big, big bonus and often
encouraged. It's only the selfish bigots who complain, but then they
shouldnt have a garden, they dont deserve one.

Yes all very nice in a dream world Mr Snotty but let me pop round and have

Cr*p in your lounge, tear your carpet up that you have just had put down,

oh
and for good measure I will trash a few ornaments.
Don't get me wrong , I love wild life and positively encourage the birds
etc, but then that will start me on another problem which is the dam

magpies
which are muscling in on the poor sparrows etc, the foxs were no trouble

at
first, that was around 5yrs ago, they kept themselves to themselves now

they
seem to outnumber the local cats and dogs !!!!

Here we go again. NAsty magpies, raptors, and cat owners decimating the
wild bird population eh? Don't think to accuse farmers with their weed
control and pest control, and gardeners who spray every single insect,
meaning that
a/ there are none to feed sparrow chicks,
b/ they *do* feed sparrow chicks with poisonous sprayed bugs and kill the
whole nest full.

Far easier to blame magpies raptors and cats, than actually try to alter
your own gardening methods or farming methods eh?
How do you imagine they managed to survive in huge numbers, even with
magpies, raptors and cats, in the years up to the war, when sprays started
to be used extensively?
The *real* truth is that loss of habitat, and modern farming methods have
far far more to do with the loss of our songbirds and other birds, than
magpies do.
And if sparrows are in such short supply, I can explain where they all are.
In my mates barns, raiding the bird seed from his 40 od macaw aviaries. They
have reached pest proportions now and he is desperate to deter them.
Any humane ideas on *that*?

Old 26-10-2003, 10:22 PM
oldmolly

"David Hill" wrote in message
"................ Magpies do not muscle in on anything, they happily

coexist
with much wildlife, here we can
often see magpie and sparrow in the same tree......"

And how is life in Camelot?

I guess I mst live there too :-)
On my small half an acres, with mature overgrown hedges, I have my dogs,
plus 11 cats, plus various tits, wrens, robins, sparrows, dunnocks, wood
pigeons, collared doves,finches of all kinds, and..................a nesting
pair of magpies which appear each year and raise a family.
I have been here for 6 years and not noticed the population of small birds
diminishing. I put that down to the fact that I am not a tidy gardener,
plenty of places to find grubs, beetles, and stuff, and I do not spray or
put down slug bait. I have persuaded my neighbours to do likewise and there
is a thriving bird population in both out gardens.
Of course the magpie/cat/raptor haters will not believe a word of it.

Old 26-10-2003, 10:22 PM
oldmolly

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day chris,

i had a similar problem in the 'burbs in australia, we just saved our
urine daily and put that around the place, the foxes stopped coming to
dig up my gardens.

Perhaps that is the trick. Perhaps people who peed didn't pee enough. They
should organise pee parties and provide copious amounts of beer and lock the
toilet door so people *have* to pee on the boundary :-) I am sure this pee
party idea will prove most popular. I will be the first to offer to come to
it lol.

Old 26-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Mary Fisher

"oldmolly" wrote in message
news

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Erm, you could be opening yourself up to legal problems!
If someone was to come on your property and get shocked you could be

sued!

How do you imagine land owners all over the country manage? People who

keep
livestock have electric fences.If someone comes onto *my* property, and
tries to get through what is obviously an electric fence, and get shocked,
how could they sue me?

Because in English law you have a duty of care towards a trespasser.

Mary

Old 26-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

People in the towns seem, to think it's fine to
move the problem to the countryside, they just don't like the idea of
the countryside solving the problem

That puts the situation in a nutshell.

Except that we don't all think like that.

I don't think it's alright to move the problem to the countryside, nor do I
object to the countryside solving the problem.

Quite. What's your point?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 27-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "oldmolly" contains these words:

I am sure this pee
party idea will prove most popular.

It's called a ****up, oldmolly. They are very popular.

Janet

Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Victoria Clare

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

"oldmolly" wrote in message
news

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Erm, you could be opening yourself up to legal problems!
If someone was to come on your property and get shocked you could
be

sued!

How do you imagine land owners all over the country manage? People
who keep
livestock have electric fences.If someone comes onto *my* property,
and tries to get through what is obviously an electric fence, and get
shocked, how could they sue me?

Because in English law you have a duty of care towards a trespasser.

Fine, but we are not talking about something that kills human beings on
contact!

A standard stockproof electric fence will cause you to jump backwards
and go 'ow!' if you touch it. It will not burn you or kill you.

Someone in this thread has alleged that someone with a pacemaker might
feel more serious effects, but that's a tiny proportion of the
population, that tend to lead fairly sedate and law-abiding lives.

(I'm not entirely convinced anyway: presumably pacemakers need to have a
certain amount of resilience, at least to 'static'? Would a pacemaker
owner really be killed by a mild shock?)

The legal risks of, say, owning a car which you might accidentally drive
into someone, or a dog, which might bite someone, strike me as much
greater than those of installing a humble electric fence in your garden.

Victoria
Old 27-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message . 10
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

(I'm not entirely convinced anyway: presumably pacemakers need to have a
certain amount of resilience, at least to 'static'? Would a pacemaker
owner really be killed by a mild shock?)

No.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 27-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Mary Fisher

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.10...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

"oldmolly" wrote in message
news

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Erm, you could be opening yourself up to legal problems!
If someone was to come on your property and get shocked you could
be

sued!

How do you imagine land owners all over the country manage? People
who keep
livestock have electric fences.If someone comes onto *my* property,
and tries to get through what is obviously an electric fence, and get
shocked, how could they sue me?

Because in English law you have a duty of care towards a trespasser.

Fine, but we are not talking about something that kills human beings on
contact!

Hey! I didn't say that anyone would be sensible to sue, just replying to a
question :-)

Everything you say is right.

Mary

Old 27-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

People in the towns seem, to think it's fine to
move the problem to the countryside, they just don't like the idea

of
the countryside solving the problem

That puts the situation in a nutshell.

Except that we don't all think like that.

I don't think it's alright to move the problem to the countryside, nor

do I
object to the countryside solving the problem.

Quite. What's your point?

Someone (see above) made the general statement that, "People in towns ... "

Well I live in inner city Leeds and don't behave according to that
statement. Nor do a lot of townies. My point is that it's a myth that ALL
townies do think like that.

I support fox hunting but as I implied earlier in this thread I wouldn't
consider moving a trapped fox from the town to the country.

In fact I wouldn't trap a fox. We can't call in the hunt and we can't shoot
them. Our solution was to (expensively) made a physical barrier which
couldn't be scaled by fox.

Understand now?

Or is it Get Mary Time?

Mary
--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 27-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Kay Easton

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

People in the towns seem, to think it's fine to
move the problem to the countryside, they just don't like the idea of
the countryside solving the problem

That puts the situation in a nutshell.

I would rather you did not ascribe a whole set of views to me on the
basis of where I live.
--
Kay
Old 27-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Quite. What's your point?

Someone (see above) made the general statement that, "People in towns ... "

Well I live in inner city Leeds and don't behave according to that
statement. Nor do a lot of townies. My point is that it's a myth that ALL
townies do think like that.

True. I know one townie who used to be whipper-in for an Essex (rebel) pack.

I support fox hunting but as I implied earlier in this thread I wouldn't
consider moving a trapped fox from the town to the country.

Now I know the facts rather than relying on my feelings, I support
foxhunting 100%. Indeed, I have been on so many Countryside Marches (as
a member of the Union of Country Sports Workers) that I can't remember
just *HOW* many....

In fact I wouldn't trap a fox. We can't call in the hunt and we can't shoot
them. Our solution was to (expensively) made a physical barrier which
couldn't be scaled by fox.

Understand now?

Yes - defending (probably) the majority of townies who either don't
care, or better, would not stoop to so-called Animal Rights nonsense.
(Though I do understand that most of them have their hearts in the right
places.)

Or is it Get Mary Time?

VWG

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
Someone (see above) made the general statement that, "People in towns ... "

Well I live in inner city Leeds and don't behave according to that
statement. Nor do a lot of townies. My point is that it's a myth that ALL
townies do think like that.

I didn't say ALL people in towns Mary, I just said 'people'. I was
actually intending to mean some people.

Likewise, I dare say there are country people that oppose fox
controlling as well .

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I would rather you did not ascribe a whole set of views to me on the
basis of where I live.

I didn't Kay, please see other message !

Janet

(I meant 'some')
Old 28-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Jason Pope

Victoria Clare wrote:

Also what happens if a guy with a heart condition gets shocked and
dies?

Oh c'mon. The English countryside is littered with electric fences. My
sister has one to keep her horses from eating a whole field at a time,
and I see them keeping cows in order quite often. It's a widely used
form of stock control.

The countryside yes, but you try putting it in your back garden/front
garden and see how quick the police get on your case!

I don't know if it is possible that such a mild shock would kill a
person with a pacemaker, but I've never heard of it happening - have
you?

I never said pacemaker! Some people are arrythmic and a shock could stop
the heart.

Electric fence wire is usually bright orange with silvery bits, and held
up by those special twirly supports: it's recognisable enough that even
cows and horses learn what it looks like and avoid it after a time or 2.

And if you're colour blind or don't know the ways of the country?

You'd need to have it lower as an anti-fox measure, but then it's in
your *garden*: presumably both private and enclosed. How many burgling
pacemaker-owners can there be?

I never said anything about pacemakers!
It is illegal to fit anything, security wise, in your front/back garden
that could injure another person who is on the property!
Harsh I know, but that is definately the case!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Does it realy fox the fox? John Towill United Kingdom 292 14-02-2004 09:34 AM
It's a Fox...not a coon... BenignVanilla Ponds 3 07-08-2003 01:32 PM
Is my Flying fox an SAE Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 19-06-2003 10:32 AM
Fox toilet Judy Rigby United Kingdom 16 22-05-2003 07:08 PM
Urban fox hedgehog United Kingdom 5 18-03-2003 05:20 PM