Old 10-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Kay Easton

Default large garden maintenance

In article , anton
writes

Kay Easton wrote in message ...
In article , anton
writes

Remember that a bigger garden should not look like 5 smaller
gardens next to one another.

Why not? That's roughly what Sissinghurst is like. And York gate?

In the context of the OP, i.e low maintenance gardening of a bigger garden
than she is used to, and from what remember
of seeing Sissinghurst (on TV only), I suggest that the
maintenance requirement of Sissinghurst is 'why not'. Borders?
Roses?

Compartments doesn't have to be borders and roses! I see no reason why
you shouldn't compartmentalise a garden and yet have a low maintenance
layout in each of those areas.

But well filled borders of shrubs are not high maintenance, neither are
shrub roses.

In the more general meaning, I'm happy to admit that it's only my
personal opinion that a bigger garden shouldn't look like 5
smaller ones. Gardens of any size can contain treasures, and
some of the most jewel-like can be on a very small scale, but in a bigger
garden you can aim at peace, seclusion and a sense of awe at what nature can
achieve. I don't personally get any of that
from the 'rooms' that the garden designers would have us believe are the
best use of a big garden.

Yes - as you say, it is personal taste. Personally, I find myself rather
bored by huge lawns surrounded by curving borders, and much prefer a
journey of exploration My three favourite gardens are Biddulph Grange,
York gate, and the Forbidden Corner ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-11-2003, 01:02 AM
klara

In message , Jane Ransom
writes
We have never tried since we like to compost the clippings but there
have been people on this group, in the past, who swear by them.

We have a large mulching mower with swivelling wheels, and since we got
it (at Chelsea Flower Show) two years ago, our gardening has been
transformed. We use the old creaky petrol mower for the first 1-2 cuts
in Spring, and after that our 2/3-acre mostly lawn takes only between
one and two hours to mow. The best thing from my point of view (as no
longer spring chicken) is that I don't have to lift and empty the grass
hopper! Makes all the difference, from a strength/time point of view.
And the swivelling wheels mean I can go in circles or whatever, make
quick turns, all with no effort at all! It doesn't exactly look like a
carpet, but it looks good enough, and I'm just happy I can do it!

Klara

Old 11-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes
Yes - as you say, it is personal taste. Personally, I find myself rather
bored by huge lawns surrounded by curving borders, and much prefer a
journey of exploration My three favourite gardens are Biddulph Grange,
York gate,

I love wandering round York Gate - it's wonderful.
But . . . to live with, and look out onto, I prefer a more open aspect.
I would find a home in the middle of the York Gate garden very
claustrophobic ( Far prefer open vistas - like the sloping lawns that
front Parcevall Hall.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

[snip]

Yes - as you say, it is personal taste. Personally, I find myself rather
bored by huge lawns surrounded by curving borders, and much prefer a
journey of exploration My three favourite gardens are Biddulph Grange,
York gate, and the Forbidden Corner ;-)

Are you referring to the Forbidden Corner in or next to Wensleydale, or are
there more than one place with such a name?
I have seen the road sign often enough, but have never followed it up, not
knowing what it referred to.

Franz

Old 11-11-2003, 11:32 AM
jane

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:07:35 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

~The message
~from "K" contains these words:
~
~
~ My DH cuts the grass and trims the escalonia for me - doesn't like
~ gardening. He bought himself a hedgecutter in the summer and has used it
~ once. Managed to cut through the lead TWICE!!
~
~ Hm, K, I'm not sure you've quite picked up the spousal message. It
~appears he wishes to offload an unwelcome task, bought *you* a
~hedgetrimmer, and cunningly made double sure you'd never let him operate
~it. A variant on the famous Dishwasher Doublecross.

Oh I know that. Make sure you are so incompetent at a task that the SO
gives up either waiting for the task to get done or done properly that
they do it themselves anyway... mine is fully aware I know this trick!

And he is turning into quite a good laundry wallah. Mostly cos I
accidentally dye his knickers pink occasionally... :-)

Having said this, on the hedgetrimmer point, every time I've tried to
cut the late unlamented lonicera nitida hedge he's come out and done
it, convinced I was going to kill myself balanced on a stepstool on
the raised rockery...

(In the end the hedge overbalanced in heavy rain a few months ago,
literally ending up horizontal. We got it taken out, cutting it down
to stumps and these are now resprouting and are being trimmed into
football-sized edging. Much prettier. And I don't have to play with
the ancient electric lightsabre any more.)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 11-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"jane" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:07:35 GMT, Janet Baraclough

[snip]

And he is turning into quite a good laundry wallah. Mostly cos I
accidentally dye his knickers pink occasionally... :-)

And just what might be undesirable about that?
If he was anything approaching my shape, you would be the only one to whom
that spectacle might be visible.
(I hope)

Having said this, on the hedgetrimmer point, every time I've tried to
cut the late unlamented lonicera nitida hedge he's come out and done
it, convinced I was going to kill myself balanced on a stepstool on
the raised rockery...

My better half occasionally tries that trick, but so far she has been rather
unlucky.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes
Yes - as you say, it is personal taste. Personally, I find myself rather
bored by huge lawns surrounded by curving borders, and much prefer a
journey of exploration My three favourite gardens are Biddulph Grange,
York gate,

I love wandering round York Gate - it's wonderful.
But . . . to live with, and look out onto, I prefer a more open aspect.
I would find a home in the middle of the York Gate garden very
claustrophobic ( Far prefer open vistas - like the sloping lawns that
front Parcevall Hall.

Oh no ...I'm quite the opposite. I can remember you saying that
Parcevall hall rock garden was your idea of a perfect garden, whereas I
thought - yes, it's well done, and nice to look at, but it's so *big*
and *open* ;-)

But then, I bet if you spent a day in the Yorkshire Dales, you'd be
walking out on the tops, whereas I would be underground in small holes
;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

[snip]

Yes - as you say, it is personal taste. Personally, I find myself rather
bored by huge lawns surrounded by curving borders, and much prefer a
journey of exploration My three favourite gardens are Biddulph Grange,
York gate, and the Forbidden Corner ;-)

Are you referring to the Forbidden Corner in or next to Wensleydale,

That's the one.

or are
there more than one place with such a name?
I have seen the road sign often enough, but have never followed it up, not
knowing what it referred to.

A fantastic multilevel 'maze' including hedge maze, maze of woodland
paths, twisting paths through garden, various trick water features,
'ruined castle', underground area with multiple passages, including a
room with 7 identical doors and a revolving floor ....

Basically a folly, of great delight for children, but beautifully
executed, with none of the shoddiness normally attached to such features
(it was originally built as a folly for the owner).

But I like it for the interest of the garden, the winding paths, the
variety of shrubs used, the tree stump carved to form a caged witch, the
carved wooden snakes hidden in some of the trees, the variety of cut-
leaved elders, and so on.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes
But then, I bet if you spent a day in the Yorkshire Dales, you'd be
walking out on the tops, whereas I would be underground in small holes
;-)

DEFINITELY not in the small holes (((((((((((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

It sounds as I have been missing out on something. I will correct that
soon.

Franz

Old 12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

[snip]

Old 13-11-2003, 12:12 PM
jane

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:45:51 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in message
~ On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:07:35 GMT, Janet Baraclough
~
~[snip]
~
~ And he is turning into quite a good laundry wallah. Mostly cos I
~ accidentally dye his knickers pink occasionally... :-)
~
~And just what might be undesirable about that?
~If he was anything approaching my shape, you would be the only one to whom
~that spectacle might be visible.
~(I hope)

I do call him Yogi occasionally.
And I hope so too... or else!

~ Having said this, on the hedgetrimmer point, every time I've tried to
~ cut the late unlamented lonicera nitida hedge he's come out and done
~ it, convinced I was going to kill myself balanced on a stepstool on
~ the raised rockery...
~
~My better half occasionally tries that trick, but so far she has been rather
~unlucky.
I'm pretty well known to be a complete and utter klutz. I've ended up
in minor injuries a few time for silly things like sticking a paring
knife in my palm while trying to remove an avocado stone or falling
over while standing on a flat road, totally sober and needing stitches
in my elbow as a result.
Himself says to people that I'm the only person he knows who can
injure herself in an empty room.
:-)

(Yes my tetanus jab *is* up to date!!! )

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 13-11-2003, 05:12 PM
jane

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:12:53 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

(jane) wrote in news:3fb77318.247798986
:
~
~ Himself says to people that I'm the only person he knows who can
~ injure herself in an empty room.
~:-)
~
~He's never met my husband then. He's at war with the inanimate world.
~
~It bites him, leaps out and clouts him, and loves to trip him up or cover
~him in mud or paint. He sometimes gets angry with it and tries to hit it
~back, resulting in further injury....

sounds horribly familiar!!! He has my sympathy! Sometimes I try and
hit my SO for laughing but only end up breaking nails or hurting my
hand/foot etc.

~I just stand well back,try to look sympathetic and not laugh...
Himself just stands well back. Never even pretends not to laugh and as
for sympathy? pah!

I get my own back though, laughing at him when the cat wreaks revenge
on my behalf. What's even funnier is she's *his* cat... he calls it a
female conspiracy :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain