Old 15-11-2004, 09:57 PM
jim chadwick

Default garlic-time to plant?

It used to be said that garlic should be planted on the shortest day and
harvested on the longest.It was a fine day on Saturday, so rather than lose
the chance I planted 22 cloves there and then. But can anyone tell me if
this fits in with the old lunar cycle agriculture?

Old 15-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Neil Tonks

"jim chadwick" wrote in message
news
It used to be said that garlic should be planted on the shortest day and
harvested on the longest.It was a fine day on Saturday, so rather than
lose
the chance I planted 22 cloves there and then. But can anyone tell me if
this fits in with the old lunar cycle agriculture?

I planted mine three weeks ago and the first shoots are showing already. As
far as I can see, if it gets the chance to develop roots and shoots before
the hardest winter weather, it stands a better chance than planting at the
coldest time and risking the cloves sitting there not doing much other than
rot until things warm up!

I always plant in late October or early November and have never failed to
get a good crop.

Neil.

Old 15-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:57:40 GMT, "jim chadwick"
wrote:

It used to be said that garlic should be planted on the shortest day and
harvested on the longest.It was a fine day on Saturday, so rather than lose
the chance I planted 22 cloves there and then. But can anyone tell me if
this fits in with the old lunar cycle agriculture?

I always understood that rule to apply to shallots, not garlic. "They"
say that garlic is best planted in October, so it can get its roots.
down before the soil gets cold, but I think you can sow it anytime.
It will be an interesting comparison with others who planted earlier
and those who don't plant till Spring.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Phil L

jim chadwick wrote:
:: It used to be said that garlic should be planted on the shortest
:: day and harvested on the longest.It was a fine day on Saturday, so
:: rather than lose the chance I planted 22 cloves there and then.
:: But can anyone tell me if this fits in with the old lunar cycle
:: agriculture?

When you say '22 cloves' do you mean just the normal garlic cloves from the
shops?, will any garlic do?
Or is it better to sow from seeds?

- I definately want garlic next summer.

Old 15-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Bob Hobden

"Phil L" wrote after...
jim chadwick wrote:
:: It used to be said that garlic should be planted on the shortest
:: day and harvested on the longest.It was a fine day on Saturday, so
:: rather than lose the chance I planted 22 cloves there and then.
:: But can anyone tell me if this fits in with the old lunar cycle
:: agriculture?

When you say '22 cloves' do you mean just the normal garlic cloves from
the
shops?, will any garlic do?
Or is it better to sow from seeds?

- I definately want garlic next summer.

You can plant the stuff from the shops but it is probably foreign grown and
not a variety suitable for this country. I did that for a number of years
until I once bought proper Uk suitable "seed" garlic from Marshalls and the
difference was enough that I now buy the special garlic to plant every year.
I also find we need to plant it early enough so that it's a good 6 inches
tall before winter really sets in or we will lose some. Probably due to our
soil, cold clay/silt.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 15-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Gary Woods

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

I did that for a number of years
until I once bought proper Uk suitable "seed" garlic from Marshalls and the
difference was enough that I now buy the special garlic to plant every year.

Why not keep some of your own garlic, acclimated to your particular
situation, rather than buy new each year?

In the Northeastern U.S., I don't want garlic tops to show in the fall,
because they will likely be winter damaged and cost the cloves valuable
energy. But I suspect my earth freezes deeper and sooner than most of the
UK. I'm just finishing my planting now, really a few weeks too late. I'll
use enough mulch to let the cloves get well rooted before things freeze
solid.

I didn't comment on that "plant on the shortest day; harvest on the
longest," because that's wildly wrong for much of the world, and apparently
not so hot for the UK either!

Old 15-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Bob Hobden

"Gary Woods" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

I did that for a number of years
until I once bought proper Uk suitable "seed" garlic from Marshalls and
the
difference was enough that I now buy the special garlic to plant every
year.

Why not keep some of your own garlic, acclimated to your particular
situation, rather than buy new each year?

Our ground does have a bit of White Rot in patches so I try not to plant any
alliums I've grown to try to stop it spreading. We lose a few onions every
year but not enough to make us stop growing them.

Old 16-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Dwayne

I used to live in an area that rotted the potatoes, onions, Etc. becuase of
too much rain. As soon as I planted those items in a raised bed or in
raised rows, the problem went away. It might help there also, if you havent
tried it already.

Dwayne

Old 16-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Mike Lyle

jim chadwick wrote:
It used to be said that garlic should be planted on the shortest

day
and harvested on the longest.It was a fine day on Saturday, so

rather
than lose the chance I planted 22 cloves there and then. But can
anyone tell me if this fits in with the old lunar cycle

agriculture?

The longest and shortest days are about the sun, rather than the
moon: the moon's cycle doesn't match the sun's.

(Like all Aquarians, I don't believe in anything resembling
astrology.)

Mike.

Old 16-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Bob Hobden

"
"Bob Hobden" wrote ..

"Gary Woods" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

I did that for a number of years
until I once bought proper Uk suitable "seed" garlic from Marshalls and
the
difference was enough that I now buy the special garlic to plant every
year.

Why not keep some of your own garlic, acclimated to your particular
situation, rather than buy new each year?

Our ground does have a bit of White Rot in patches so I try not to plant
any alliums I've grown to try to stop it spreading. We lose a few onions
every year but not enough to make us stop growing them.

Dwayne" wrote ...
I used to live in an area that rotted the potatoes, onions, Etc. because of
too much rain. As soon as I planted those items in a raised bed or in
raised rows, the problem went away. It might help there also, if you
haven't tried it already.

It might well help as it would require new soil to raise the beds, however,
White Rot is a soil born disease so it would probably come back after a
time. Only sure cure is to stop planting any alliums for years and years and
we aren't at that stage yet.

Old 16-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
jim chadwick wrote:

It used to be said that garlic should be planted on the shortest

day
and harvested on the longest.It was a fine day on Saturday, so

rather
than lose the chance I planted 22 cloves there and then. But can
anyone tell me if this fits in with the old lunar cycle

agriculture?

The longest and shortest days are about the sun, rather than the
moon: the moon's cycle doesn't match the sun's.

The moon cycle of planting isn't about the length of days.

(Like all Aquarians, I don't believe in anything resembling
astrology.)

And the moon cycle doesn't have anything to do with astrology either.
(Though I note the intentional irony...)

Indeed, astrology has nothing to do with astrology, if that isn't a bit
abstruse. Astrology works, but it isn't because of the position of the
heavenly bodies, those positions are merely a clock.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 16-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Rod

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:57:23 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Our ground does have a bit of White Rot in patches so I try not to plant any
alliums I've grown to try to stop it spreading. We lose a few onions every
year but not enough to make us stop growing them.

We're in the same predicament here but we cope in much the same way as
you do. Planted our Garlic(Marshalls) last week, we probably won't get
much in the way of frost here 'til late December so plenty of time to
get their roots down.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 17-11-2004, 12:15 PM
jane

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:45:42 GMT, Gary wrote:

~On 11/16/04 10:12 AM, in article ,
~"Rod" wrote:
~
~ On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:57:23 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
~ wrote:
~
~
~ Our ground does have a bit of White Rot in patches so I try not to plant any
~ alliums I've grown to try to stop it spreading. We lose a few onions every
~ year but not enough to make us stop growing them.
~
~ We're in the same predicament here but we cope in much the same way as
~ you do. Planted our Garlic(Marshalls) last week, we probably won't get
~ much in the way of frost here 'til late December so plenty of time to
~ get their roots down.
~
~ =================================================
~
~ Rod
~
~ Weed my email address to reply.
~
~I planted my garlic on Nov 5...I know cause I wrote it down! They were ready
~as I could see the little white roots 'reaching'. I'm using the hard neck
~variety as opposed to the soft neck...anyone know the difference? Taste?
~Other? Ease of growing?

Hard neck ones seem to have fewer cloves, but bigger ones, and they're
easier to peel in my experience. I grow Marco, mostly. Also you get a
flower spike - which you cut off when small and still facing downwards
to stop it taking energy from the bulb, and which you can put in
stir-fries etc.

You can't plait them properly, but it's a small cost for the easier
peeling.

--
jane

Mark Twain

~Best~ time to plant Garlic Tim Edible Gardening 20 02-04-2009 06:37 PM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
dianna condemns, then Jeff recently comes a resident pavement from time to time Kaye's matrix Ikram Jbilou Dawood Ponds 0 18-11-2007 03:12 PM
there Petra will follow the request, and if Madeleine not sails it too, the suffering will destroy from time to time the deaf cottage Josef P. Madren Ponds 0 14-11-2007 05:36 AM
Garlic harvesting time Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt United Kingdom 6 27-05-2004 06:16 PM