Old 21-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Warwick

Default Pumpkins

I just planted up the contents of a seed packet into a number of pots
and expect to see lots of little plants in a few weeks.

I have a bed area prepared for them.. no problems there.

I did similar last year and they were all eaten by slugs within a day of
planting out. I didn't get a single plant beyond 4 leaves.

Is there a companion plant I should consider to distract the slugs. A
particularly slug resistant mulch?

Last year they ignored the beer traps and preferred to nip the pumpkins
in the bud.

I managed to get a whole two plants to crop, but they were in the
greenhouse.

I *love* pumpkin soup and last year I tried pumpkin carving for the
first time ever. As th results from both were successful, I really want
a good crop.

Apparently I have to go a stage further and do 'Spike', 'Buffy' and all
since 'Angel' was considered recognisable.

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/a...lides/Picture_
024.html

Warwick
Old 21-02-2005, 07:48 AM
ashnook

On the subject of pumpkin soup, there is an excellent recipt in Delia's
winter cook book.

--
Brian
www.ashnookplants.co.uk

Old 21-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Martin Brown

Warwick wrote:
I just planted up the contents of a seed packet into a number of pots
and expect to see lots of little plants in a few weeks.

I have a bed area prepared for them.. no problems there.

I did similar last year and they were all eaten by slugs within a day of
planting out. I didn't get a single plant beyond 4 leaves.

Harden them off for a bit outside before planting in the final location.
And unless it is against your religion put a few slug pellet around the
base of each new plant whilst they get established. Otherwise the bruise
damage you inflict when planting them will attract slugs from miles around.

Is there a companion plant I should consider to distract the slugs. A
particularly slug resistant mulch?

Even the one I threw on the compost heap rooted and grew a crop so they
are pretty tough. I usually only plant a couple since that is all I have
room for each grabs a 6' square of ground (more if it is allowed to).

Last year they ignored the beer traps and preferred to nip the pumpkins
in the bud.

I managed to get a whole two plants to crop, but they were in the
greenhouse.

They grew OK outside last year for me. Worth also trying courgettes -
they are delicious when small and you can grow a few on at the end of
season as marrows for winter soups.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 21-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Tumbleweed

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message MPG.1c83439f2cfa9310989924@dalai
from Warwick contains these words:

I just planted up the contents of a seed packet into a number of pots
and expect to see lots of little plants in a few weeks.

I have a bed area prepared for them.. no problems there.

They usually germinate and grow pretty fast, and are tender when
young...frost is fatal, so are you planning to use cloches when you
plant them out?

I never put mine out till the end of May - frost wrecks them.
They grow so fast that late planting is no problem.
They can be real "thugs" and spread over ground and up shrubs and fences.
We normally plant just two. This gives us lots of bakes and bowls of spicy
soup to fill up the freezer.
(And Delia's pumpkin soup is luvverly!)

Old 21-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Mike Lyle

Martin Brown wrote:
Warwick wrote:
I just planted up the contents of a seed packet into a number of

pots
[...]
They grew OK outside last year for me. Worth also trying

courgettes -
they are delicious when small and you can grow a few on at the end

of
season as marrows for winter soups.

The problem with big pumpkins in Britain is that it's very difficult
to get them ready for use. A real Aussie pumpkin is dried out by
exposure -- just as you see rows of them on roofs in places like
Malta. That way they don't stay watery and tasteless. (I speak in
theory, as I dislike the things whatever you do to them. Pumpkin
scones are reasonable, I suppose.)

I'd say the variety to grow in this country is butternut: they're
nicer than the giants, and are ready to use much sooner.

Mike.

Old 21-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| The problem with big pumpkins in Britain is that it's very difficult
| to get them ready for use. A real Aussie pumpkin is dried out by
| exposure -- just as you see rows of them on roofs in places like
| Malta. That way they don't stay watery and tasteless. (I speak in
| theory, as I dislike the things whatever you do to them. Pumpkin
| scones are reasonable, I suppose.)

Actually, no. More of the difference is that the ordinary pumpkins
are the same species as marrows (C. pepo), and the whole species is
tasteless. Hubbards etc. are C. maxima, which are drier, starchier
and nuttier - and MUCH better, but more difficult to get seed for.

I grew some Queensland Blues last year (as Aussie as you like),
and they were very hubbard-like. So are Japanese katsuba.

| I'd say the variety to grow in this country is butternut: they're
| nicer than the giants, and are ready to use much sooner.

Eh? They are C. moschata, need quite a lot MORE heat than the
others, and so are very iffy. I also dislike them because they
are sweet, sickly and somewhat slimy (much like orange sweet
potatoes, whereas I love white ones).

Please note that I am only 90% certain of the species of each
type.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Kieran23

Warwick,
Can't you leave them in pots a little longer? Any plant with so few
leaves sounds like fair game to slugs. I planted out what I thought
was a maturing chilli peper plant last year (many leaves) - and the
slugs were not slow to help themselves.

Old 21-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike Lyle wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
Warwick wrote:
[...]

I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean they should be totally
dessicated, in case anybody thinks that's what I meant, but they
mature and go on ripening. I suppose they lose about 30% of their
water -- something like that.

Mike.

Old 21-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

The problem with big pumpkins in Britain is that it's very

difficult
to get them ready for use. A real Aussie pumpkin is dried out by
exposure -- just as you see rows of them on roofs in places like
Malta. That way they don't stay watery and tasteless. (I speak in
theory, as I dislike the things whatever you do to them. Pumpkin
scones are reasonable, I suppose.)

Actually, no. More of the difference is that the ordinary pumpkins
are the same species as marrows (C. pepo), and the whole species is
tasteless. Hubbards etc. are C. maxima, which are drier, starchier
and nuttier - and MUCH better, but more difficult to get seed for.

I grew some Queensland Blues last year (as Aussie as you like),
and they were very hubbard-like. So are Japanese katsuba.

Ah, interesting. Not being a fan, I haven't looked into it as closely
as I might have. I'll relay the info to my mother, who's fretting
about it at the moment (happens every year: exiles have their
rituals).

"Queensland blues" reminds me too much of the damned Hanson crowd for
comfort, being more of a hybrid NSW red myself.

I'd say the variety to grow in this country is butternut: they're
nicer than the giants, and are ready to use much sooner.

Eh? They are C. moschata, need quite a lot MORE heat than the
others, and so are very iffy. I also dislike them because they
are sweet, sickly and somewhat slimy (much like orange sweet
potatoes, whereas I love white ones).

Ah, interesting again: I prefer the orange batata. I must have been
lucky the only year I grew butternut in this country.

Old 21-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| "Queensland blues" reminds me too much of the damned Hanson crowd for
| comfort, being more of a hybrid NSW red myself.

I agree that replacing her with a pumpkin would be an improvement.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

We normally plant just two. This gives us lots of bakes and bowls of
spicy
soup to fill up the freezer.
(And Delia's pumpkin soup is luvverly!)

So is pumpkin pie, and baked spiced pumpkin chunks with meat (drool)

Isn't that funny, when we tried it some years ago Sue and I hated the
Pumpkin soup (yes, Delia's recipe too), and the roast pumpkin etc, and
thought the pumpkin pie was disgusting despite all the full cream and time
that went into it.
Our pumpkins are only used for carving and giving away to those that find
the foul taste to their liking. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Isn't that funny, when we tried it some years ago Sue and I hated the
Pumpkin soup (yes, Delia's recipe too), and the roast pumpkin etc, and
thought the pumpkin pie was disgusting despite all the full cream and time
that went into it.
Our pumpkins are only used for carving and giving away to those that find
the foul taste to their liking. :-)

Well, I can tell you what your mistake was - and it was to read those
recipes! I can't stand them, either.

My wife made a pumpkin pie before we were married and, against my
strong advice, followed a recipe. It had the texture of (real) marrow,
was both salt and sweet, and had a loathesome aftertaste. She and
others said that they liked everything else that went into it, so the
horrible taste must have been the pumpkin. It wasn't until 30 years
later that I persuaded her to take my advice - and the pie was good,
if not excellent.

1) Never, Never, NEVER add sugar, molasses, honey or any other form
of sweetening to pumpkin. If a recipe contains one teaspoon per
gallon, reject the recipe as an obscenity. Do NOT try to modify it.

2) Hubbard-like squashes can be good just with butter (or without).
Just add a small amount of pepper and salt to taste, and mash or not
as required. They are best baked, but can be boiled or used for a
better pumpkin soup experience (!).

3) Pumpkin as a vegetable is pretty boring, but not unpleasant (it
tastes like a cross between marrow and hubbard). Ditto when adding
it to stews and soups.

4) Make pumpkin soup with ham/bacon stock, onions etc. to taste, and
a small amount of mustard. Alternatively, with any stock, onions,
tomatoes and chilli. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING SWEETER THAN ONIONS OR
TOMATOES.

5) Don't make pumpkin pie until you have got the above right.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Nick Maclaren

Sorry about following up to my own, but:

6) Don't try roasting them, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2004 04:04 PM
Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Gardening 0 22-04-2004 02:02 AM
Hulless-seeded pumpkins David Auker Edible Gardening 0 04-11-2003 04:12 AM
Pumpkins Jon United Kingdom 3 24-06-2003 01:56 PM
Bugs & pumpkins SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:32 AM