Old 08-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Culturalenigma

Default Articles on my site

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of the regular posters here would be interested in
doing an article on different topics of gardening in your area. Such as the
making of compost, or what is the best way to fend off pests, etc.

If you are interested I am looking to put articles on the site. I would
like to put basic info, i.e. any questions
that newbies continue to ask here would be good. If you post regularly, and
can put together a clear, concise and well written article, I will put a
lead in on the main page and give you full credit for the article. This is
NOT a paid situation. This is voluntary.

Please contact me if you feel you are interested,

Trai

Old 08-09-2003, 08:02 PM
JennyC

"Culturalenigma" wrote in message
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of the regular posters here would be

interested in
doing an article on different topics of gardening in your area.

Such as the
making of compost, or what is the best way to fend off pests, etc.

If you are interested I am looking to put articles on the site. I

would
like to put basic info, i.e. any questions
that newbies continue to ask here would be good. If you post

regularly, and
can put together a clear, concise and well written article, I will

put a
lead in on the main page and give you full credit for the article.

This is
NOT a paid situation. This is voluntary.

Please contact me if you feel you are interested,

Trai

A lot of work has been done by the group already...
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/urgfaqs.htm

Jenny :~)

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
DaveDay34

"Culturalenigma" wrote in message
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of the regular posters here would be

interested in
doing an article on different topics of gardening in your area.

Such as the
making of compost, or what is the best way to fend off pests, etc.

(Snip)

Am I being very cautious/suspicious if I say I've certain missgivings about
someone asking for advice from amature gardeners when the person asking for the
advice/articles seems to be connected with Alan Titchmarsh, prolific writer of
many gardening books/articles, etc? Surely Alan could supply enough said
articles/advice for this web site, or is there more to thios than we've been
told? Maybe we could do with a few more details about this site for which
we're being asked to submit articles/advice?

Dave.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Culturalenigma

Yea, but I can't put that on my site...it's already a faq. and I didn't
really want to do a 'faq' but more of an article, either touching on all
aspects or oen specific

Trai

Old 09-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Culturalenigma

[...]

LOL, Dave, I have a FAN SITE. I am NOT connected with him other than through
my television. Look I just thought that since there seems to be a wealth of
knowledge here people might have advice to share.

So, I repeat, I AM NOT affiliated with Alan Titchmarsh. I am in NO WAY
connected with him. I have a FAN SITE. I also want to have a gardening
site where I can post MY info that I like, not reprint his books (which I do
not have permission to do).

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

trai

Old 09-09-2003, 02:40 AM
anne

[...]

I don't think you'll get much free info given to be honest. It's your
website afterall. I understand where you are coming from, but it might be
better to advertise on the site itself for articles and I'm sure that in
time "fans" of your site will gladly send you articles. I wish you all the
best.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:33 AM
Culturalenigma

I don't think you'll get much free info given to be honest. It's your
website afterall. I understand where you are coming from, but it might be
better to advertise on the site itself for articles and I'm sure that in
time "fans" of your site will gladly send you articles. I wish you all the
best.

I've had some hits - I'm not really looking for "free info", just if anyone
wanted to submit gardening articles.

I will say this though - I love to garden. I love to design gardens. I
like to look at them, weed them, sit in them and read in them. I like
having my hands in the dirt and smelling the earth. It's a miracle that so
many wonders can come from a well planned or even a poorly thought out
garden. Each one can be a miracle into itself. I consider myself a
gardener.

All that being said, I find that this group (with exceptions, you know who
you are, you have not been mean towards me) is terribly mean and uninviting.
I had no idea that I would be made to feel so unwelcome simply for being a
fan of someone. It isn't even that I got upset that you weren't fans of who
I was, it was the remarks and comments and assumptions made.

So - I'll head back over to the NG's that I do post at and simply stay
there. Apparently I'm not good enough for this one.

To those of you who were nice to me or who just weren't crappy towards me
thank you.

Happy gardening, "whatever the weather".

Tracie

Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Culturalenigma
writes
Yea, but I can't put that on my site...it's already a faq. and I didn't
really want to do a 'faq' but more of an article, either touching on all
aspects or oen specific

You haven't looked at them, have you?
It is perfectly possible to provide a link across to them on your site,
provided you acknowledge it as being the urg FAQs.

Trai

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-09-2003, 09:42 AM

:
[...]
I've gleaned that you are from the US. If you are in the US, surely a US
group would be able to provide you with articles that are relevant as our
environment, etc will be different from yours.

Good luck with your site anyway, but surely links to urg would be better.

K - who, despite my original posting, likes AT, but not enough to look at a
fan club site. :O)

Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM
anne

[...]

Tracie, I feel the same as you re this group. I think there are too many
"know alls" fighting to impress with latin (or is it greek) names and their
"vast" knowledge. It isn't a friendly group for a gardening newbie I agree,
or even for a part time gardener. 50% at least of posts end up argumentative
because the regulars *have* to prove their knowlege and how good they are
and so friendliness goes out of the window.

It's fine for info but not for passing the time of day as it were. I sit
here thinking dare I ask that question, is it too simplistic etc. There are
other UK based message boards that are more friendly and not so competitive.

When you asked for articles for your website, I knew you had no chance from
here - they think they are an elite bunch above you and me.

It doesn't even stop at gardening either, we *have* to post correctly too.
Left right left right all in line! It's quite amusing really how people can
be so straight laced, closed minded and pedantic too.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Franz Heymann

"anne" wrote in message

[...]

I have been participating in this ng for only a few months and my general
impression is totally different from yours.
Yes, there are a small number of participants who behave like you say. They
are, however, a small minority.
I have made a number of friends amongst the urglers and have had very
valuable advice in response to stupid questions asked by me. You should not
be afraid of asking elementary questions. You will soon find out who to
ignore and who to engage with.

As to your objection to playing the game by the rules, there I have no
sympathy for you. In any communal activity, there are rules of good
behaviour. The rules in this ng are identical with those in any other ng,
and they all exist very simply to keep the logical flow of the threads in a
state which would make a thread easy to follow, even if you jump into the
middle of one.

Franz