Old 03-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Rasta Poodle

Default Need tomato plants *now*

I'm in Miami. That should explain my request. :-) We're just getting ready to
plant our veggie gardens here. Do you know of any place that is still shipping
tomato plants? I have given up on starting them from seed due to stray cats in
back yard -- they think flats are special beds I make up for them, and they like
to roll around on sprouting little plants (must be the scent.) If I get plants,
and put a stake in next to them, I'll have a chance. The stores here carry the
boring varieties, and I want some paste varieties, preferably with good disease
resistance. I don't care what they cost mail order, it would be worth it. TIA.

Anya {{{*_*}}}
http://member.newsguy.com/~herblady
Bob Marley and the Wailers album "Exodus"
named "Album of the Century" by Time magazine

Old 03-09-2003, 06:12 PM
FarmerDill

[...]

I would expect that only plant companies that supply South Florida, South east
Texas, and Southern Cal, would have tomato plants available now. Contact the
Florida Department of Agriculture for leads. Piedmont plant company is in
Albany GA but I don't know that they supply the winter market. They are
mailorder but dont't have a web site. Bonnie Plant Farms is a wholesaler that
services the southeast and mid atlantic. They have growing locations in
Lakeside and Waverly Florida. so plants may be available from local dealers,

Old 04-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

Rasta Poodle wrote in message ...
I'm in Miami. That should explain my request. :-) We're just getting ready to
plant our veggie gardens here. Do you know of any place that is still shipping
tomato plants? I have given up on starting them from seed due to stray cats in
back yard -- they think flats are special beds I make up for them, and they like
to roll around on sprouting little plants (must be the scent.) If I get plants,
and put a stake in next to them, I'll have a chance. The stores here carry the
boring varieties, and I want some paste varieties, preferably with good disease
resistance. I don't care what they cost mail order, it would be worth it. TIA.

Anya {{{*_*}}}
http://member.newsguy.com/~herblady
Bob Marley and the Wailers album "Exodus"
named "Album of the Century" by Time magazine

As to the cats - I put chicken wire over the flats to discourage the
rolling and digging (mine thought the flats to be litter trays). A few
toothpicks stuck end up would discourage any die-hard rollers.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Lynn Smythe

"Seamus Ma' Cleriec" wrote in message
m...
Rasta Poodle wrote in message

I'm in Miami. That should explain my request. :-) We're just getting

ready to
plant our veggie gardens here. Do you know of any place that is still

shipping
tomato plants?

I live in Delray Beach, Florida. I start most of my tomato and vegetable
plants from seeds. But this year I got lazy and bought 2 kinds of tomato
plants and 1 kind of bell pepper from seedlings I got from my local Home
Depot. They have also been carrying tons of herb plants. I just put in 9
tomato plants, 3 pepper plants, dill, basil and garlic chives last week
from plants I purchased at the depot. It's a little too early to be planting
(still too dang hot and humid) but I put them all in locations that get
partial shade. Also, my raised vegetable and herb beds are set up with drip
irrigation systems which I turn on if the plants start to wilt before our
almost daily rain storms we get this time of year.

Take care,

--
Lynn Smythe
e-mail:

---

Old 16-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Rasta Poodle

In article , Seamus Ma' Cleriec
says...

As to the cats - I put chicken wire over the flats to discourage the
rolling and digging (mine thought the flats to be litter trays). A few
toothpicks stuck end up would discourage any die-hard rollers.

I have the only strays in the world who seem to love rolling and laying on
chicken wire! Toothpicks? Ha. They'd laugh at them. The roll around in the
garden and knock over the plant markers. I did get some zinnias to sprout in the
garden, despite them, and guess I'll now try tomatoes. They seem to like the
smell of tomato leaves, though, and that has doomed the plants in the past.

Old 16-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Rasta Poodle

In article , FarmerDill says...

I'm in Miami. That should explain my request. :-) We're just getting ready to
plant our veggie gardens here. Do you know of any place that is still
shipping
tomato plants?

I would expect that only plant companies that supply South Florida, South east
Texas, and Southern Cal, would have tomato plants available now. Contact the
Florida Department of Agriculture for leads. Piedmont plant company is in
Albany GA but I don't know that they supply the winter market. They are
mailorder but dont't have a web site. Bonnie Plant Farms is a wholesaler that
services the southeast and mid atlantic. They have growing locations in
Lakeside and Waverly Florida. so plants may be available from local dealers,

Local dealers rarely carry anything but 'the usual'. Every mailorder place I
contacted doesn't sell to the winter market. The DPI is useless, believe me.
Back to the search. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 16-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Rasta Poodle

In article , Pat Meadows says...

On 3 Sep 2003 09:02:38 -0700, Rasta Poodle
wrote:

I'm in Miami. That should explain my request. :-) We're just getting ready to
plant our veggie gardens here. Do you know of any place that is still shipping
tomato plants?

You could cover each little plant with a circle of chicken
wire to protect it until it grows large enough to withstand
the cats.

thanks, pat, but I don't have the room indoors to start them, and the stray cats
love to roll around on the chicken wire!

Old 16-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Rasta Poodle

In article , Lynn Smythe
says...

"Seamus Ma' Cleriec" wrote in message
om...
Rasta Poodle wrote in message

I'm in Miami. That should explain my request. :-) We're just getting

ready to
plant our veggie gardens here. Do you know of any place that is still

shipping
tomato plants?

I live in Delray Beach, Florida. I start most of my tomato and vegetable
plants from seeds. But this year I got lazy and bought 2 kinds of tomato
plants and 1 kind of bell pepper from seedlings I got from my local Home
Depot.

Our HD *just* got tomato plants last weekend. Big woo. One variety, Sunmaster. I
did get three. They only have single pots @ 1.19 each. What happened to the pony
packs they used to carry, six in a pack for 1.29 or so? I refused to pay 1.19
for a single cabbage plant. They seem to have discontinued veggie pony packs.
Bummer.