Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default For Charlie - hot sauce

Hey Charlie,

We have two variations of hot pepper vinegar. The kind you make is the old
standard around here, but not everybody uses the brown sugar. (some do, some
don't) For the extra hot kick, I save the seeds from my hottest peppers
(ie, when I have one with supper that's hotter than normal, cayenne,
tabasco, etc), and put them in a storage bag in the fridge until I need them
(i try not to let them dry out too much) and just add them in the standard
hot pepper vinegar.

The other type of hot pepper vinegar:

When we have more hot peppers than we can all eat: I collect enough to fill
a pint or quart size jar, wash them, put them in jar, and fill with vinegar.
Let sit a few days before using. Sometimes, it will be a little mild,
sometimes kinda warm, and sometimes very hot. You never know exactly how
hot it is til you use it. This type is eaten on collards, turnips, salads,
or anything you would use standard cider vinegar on.

Red sauce: My grandmother makes the best red sauce. Back home (two hours
north of where I live now) everybody requests her sauce whenever there is a
cook-out. People have even been known to ask for bottles of it as gifts
from her at christmas or birthdays. My mom & I fix it down here (the exact
same way) but Nana's always seems to taste even better. (I think it must be
the "grandma effect")

The easiest way:
Buy a couple of bottles of Kraft red sauces (or generic, or any other brand
you might like, I generally use whatever is cheapest). Oh it doesn't matter
what flavor - get whatever you like, orginal, homestyle, honey, hickory,
what ever.
I usually get an orignal and hickory.
Empty both bottles in a sauce pan/pot.
Save the empty bottles - you can wash them and store the left over sauce in
them. Warm on low/medium heat - stir often so it doesn't scorch. Add
mustard, brown sugar, salt, and vinegar to taste. Can add a little ketchup
for a milder taste. Now, I can't tell you exactly how much to add of the
mustard and sugar - i never measure it! Just keep tasting it til you get it
where you like it. Ketchup will help thin it down if you get it too thick,
make it a little more runny. Sauce should easily fall off spoon.

You can add to the meat on the grill as a marinade while cooking or at the
table as a dipping sauce. Great either way. It might take a few trys
making the sauce to get it just right. Nana never measures anything when
cooking - somehow she just knows the right amount to add to everything.
She's tried to pass that on to me - but sometimes i still measure! Oh, and
make sure you store any leftover sauce in the fridge - it will keep for
quite a long time that way.

--------------------------

You are absolutely right about the shrimp. Nothing beats fresh. I can get
all the fresh I want, thank God. My mom and dad have a place at the coast -
right on the waterway. Whenever they go down there, they bring plenty back
for everybody 'round here.
Have you ever heard of a seasoning called "Old Bay"? It comes in a little
metal box - sort of like a black pepper box. It can make even the worst
processed shrimp taste better. I happen to know for a fact that even some
of the best coastal restaurants use it. You can also use it on chicken,
steaks, and pork chops for a somewhat cajun style effect. I mainly stick to
using it with the seafood though.

We love the vidalia onions around here as well. I haven't had much luck out
of growing them myself. I can make a lunch or supper out of one of them
babies. zap a whole one in the 'wave with a little water and butter for
about 10 minutes or so, yummmm. makes a great compliment to a grilled steak
too.

I don't have very much experience in the area of cajun and creole cooking.
In the carolinas it's all about the frying and the BBQ! My husband even
prefers for the ribs to be fried when I cook them. I have two great-uncles
(in every since of the term!) that live in Florida, so I try to take
advantage and get pointers and recipes from them and their families whenever
I get the chance.
I believe you are right about the regional thing as well.

Well, better end this thing. The baby's up and it's getting time for the
other one to get up, so time to get my day going. Hope this helped you
some!

Love,
Rae

Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cooking is most definitely a regional thing. When we first moved down here
8 years ago, my mom and I would make things like ketchup (or BBQ) potatoes,
mississippi mud cake, goolosh, the before mentioned red sauce, etc. for
cookouts or dinners at church. Nobody here had ever heard of it or using
old bay seasoning. And everyone used that ole' yucky canned chili. Even
their spaggetti was different. And we only moved two hours away from where
all this was normal. Thankfully, my husband actually prefers my style
cooking..........or so he says. Well time to go again. Got to get things
ready for church tomorrow. We are having Pastor's Day so I have to cook as
well as sing something. Trying to put together a presentation too. Not
having much luck with my thoughts though..........Oh well, it will come
together eventually.

Oh yeah - try not to make the sauce as runny as the hot vinegar - more of a
consistency like a thin ketchup - unless you prefer it that way! (smiles &
lol)

Good luck with your sauce!

Rae

Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

Red sauce: My grandmother makes the best red sauce. Back home (two hours
north of where I live now) everybody requests her sauce whenever there is a
cook-out. People have even been known to ask for bottles of it as gifts
from her at christmas or birthdays. My mom & I fix it down here (the exact
same way) but Nana's always seems to taste even better. (I think it must be
the "grandma effect")

The easiest way:

"Scuse me, I was eaves dripping on your conversation.

Is there a way from scratch to make the Red Sauce?

Hot pepper vinegar? New one to me (sheltered life that I live). I'm more
used to the pepper seeds in the olive oil routine. Use habanero seeds
and, a little dab will do ya.

Sure is easy to see the French influence on southern cooking.

Now if we could only start demonstrating like our German cousins. Sturm
and Drang in Rostock. The Heiligendamm meeting aimed to give
globalization a human face. Kinda like Bush with a Barney mask.

But I digress . . .

- (y)lliB
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

Red sauce: My grandmother makes the best red sauce. Back home (two hours
north of where I live now) everybody requests her sauce whenever there is
cook-out. People have even been known to ask for bottles of it as gifts
from her at christmas or birthdays. My mom & I fix it down here (the
exact
same way) but Nana's always seems to taste even better. (I think it must
be
the "grandma effect")

The easiest way:

"Scuse me, I was eaves dripping on your conversation.

Hi Bill,

I'm borrowing your's and charlie's style of replying here. (LOL)
Who cares if you were eaves dropping? doesn't everybody on this forum?
(more laughing)

Is there a way from scratch to make the Red Sauce?

Of course, there's a way to make it from scratch. My nana just won't give
me that recipe..........yet, but i'll get it one day. However there are
several red sauce recipes to found on the web - I just don't like them as
good. Quite a few use some wines, and I don't go for that.

Hot pepper vinegar? New one to me (sheltered life that I live). I'm more
used to the pepper seeds in the olive oil routine. Use habanero seeds
and, a little dab will do ya.

Hot pepper vinegar is something that you definitely have to use in
moderation to begin with. Well, at least until you determine just how hot
it is! I have used habanero as well, however I have grown cayenne that were
actually hotter. And of course - NEVER RUB YOUR EYES after handling hot
pepper! (my hometown pastor found that out the hard way!)

Sure is easy to see the French influence on southern cooking.

I don't know much about that part - except for maybe the cajun and creole
found a little farther south of where I am.

Now if we could only start demonstrating like our German cousins. Sturm
and Drang in Rostock. The Heiligendamm meeting aimed to give
globalization a human face. Kinda like Bush with a Barney mask.

Once again - I don't know much about the German part either....a little over
my head..........however, Barney - I know about! wonder why...............

Rae

But I digress . . .

- (y)lliB

Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

[...]

Some things we do.

Frugal Gourmet BBQ Sauce

1 Cup Tomatoe Paste
1/2 Cup Wostershire
1/4 Cup Liquid Smoke
1/4 Cup White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Mustard Prepared
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Cups beef stock
1t red pepper
1T Chile Powder

Simmer 2 hours

We eat this on brisket mostly.

beef brisket

4 pounds fresh beef brisket (up to 5 lbs)
2 teaspoons unseasoned meat tenderizer
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce

serves 8 to 10

Place brisket on large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Sprinkle
tenderizer and seasonings on both sides of meat. Pour liquid smoke and
Worcestershire sauce over top. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 6 to
10 hours or overnight.

Place foil-wrapped brisket in Crock-Pot (cut brisket in half, if
necessary, to fit easily). cover and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12
hours.

Chill brisket, then cut across the grain into thin slices. Before
serving, reheat eat in you favorite barbecue sauce.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 02-06-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

From: William Wagner
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:54:21 -0400
Subject: For Charlie - hot sauce

[...]

Now there's a recipe I won't mind trying! Thanks for the info!

Rae

Old 03-06-2007, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,

From: William Wagner
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:54:21 -0400

[...]

What ever happened to that warning about aluminum being connected to
Alzheimer's ? Non acid and aluminum was OK but, acid , like citric,
ascorbic, ect., dissolves aluminum. (Any metal really, it is part of the
definition for acid.) Was that ever disproved (aluminum - Alzheimer's)?
The long, moist cooking, like braising, will make the meat very tender.
I try to get the same sort of effect by placing a can of water in my
Weber, wrapping wet hickory chips in some tin foil and putting them on
the hot coals and, then shut the vents on the lid about half way. Open
occasionally to check the water and the meat. 2 hours is OK. 3+ hours is
better. Paint on Barbecue sauce for the last 20 - 30 minutes. Works for
any kind of meat. Smaller pieces, shorter times. Not trying to make
waves. I just want to know what I'm doing.

- Billy
Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hey Charlie,

How did your BBQ turn out this weekend? Or was your leash too short for
even that???? LOL..............

Rae

Old 05-06-2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:13:12 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:

Hey Charlie,

How did your BBQ turn out this weekend? Or was your leash too short for
even that???? LOL..............

Rae

Hey Rae...

Nope...the short leash worked just fine. Made do quite well with the
sitchyation! ;-)

The smokers and grills are in the garden, so it was no probelm
whatsoever.

One of the world's great smells......light hickory and oak smoke under
pig!

AMEN! i love that smell!

Had grilled chicken, with your sauce for lunch, most basted on, but I
like mine on the side, and we had pulled pork for supper.....I had to
have pepper/vin on the pork though.

Had the whole nine yards....potato salad, slaw, baked beans....but no
banana pudding that day.

sounds good.....yum.......making me hungry! lol

Well, the may not have been just like yours, but it was darn good!!

I trust you sang like an angel? And ate too much?

did my best

Wow, I remember well the church potluck dinners. Except that every
time, there is always one dish that *everyone* wants, and it is
*always* gone when you pass thru. :-(

exactly and I was one of the last

Care
Charlie, thinking a a leftover pork sammich

Can you send me one for lunch???

hungry now,
Rae

Old 05-06-2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Hey! Some people around here have high cholesterol. Do you mind? Left
over pork sandwich indeed, humph. I suppose you butter the bread first
and then chase the whole thing down with a chocolate malt. Sheesh. Left
over pork, unglaublich.

So how do you mid-westerners smoke things up? Using my plain ol' Weber,
I twist up some hicory chips in some aluminum foil, and add water to
them and just let them sit. Then I fire up the coals in one of those
chimney thingies, put a can of water on the lower grill and, when the
coals are ready, pour them out next to the water, drain the water out of
the wood chips and toss the foil containing the wood chips on to the
coals, put on the meat and close the vents on the lid to about half.
Then I wait as long as I can. When doing ribs, I use real charcoal
because it burns longer.

With ribs we will use a marinade/basting sauce but chicken is usually
just fine as is. Left-overs (aka: planed-overs) will either find their
way in to a salad or a tortilla or both.

Always willing to learn.
- Billy

Old 05-06-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 5, 11:37 am, Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I would think that BBQ would have more effect on the hypertension
factor than the cholesterol. oh, and since they say that vinegar can
help fight cholesterol, that's where the hot pepper vinegar comes into
play.
Do you mind? Left over pork sandwich indeed, humph. I suppose you butter the bread first
and then chase the whole thing down with a chocolate malt. Sheesh. Left
over pork, unglaublich.

Nope - no butter - i myself prefer an onion bun to loaf bread for the
sandwich, and while the chocolate malt sounds good.....i'll take mine
with a Dr. Pepper.

So how do you mid-westerners smoke things up? Using my plain ol' Weber,
I twist up some hicory chips in some aluminum foil, and add water to
them and just let them sit. Then I fire up the coals in one of those
chimney thingies, put a can of water on the lower grill and, when the
coals are ready, pour them out next to the water, drain the water out of
the wood chips and toss the foil containing the wood chips on to the
coals, put on the meat and close the vents on the lid to about half.
Then I wait as long as I can. When doing ribs, I use real charcoal
because it burns longer.

I don't know about mid-westerners, but we usually put the chips right
in the grill (no weber, unfortunately). We use hickory, mesquite, or
whatever happens to be on sale.

With ribs we will use a marinade/basting sauce but chicken is usually
just fine as is. Left-overs (aka: planed-overs) will either find their
way in to a salad or a tortilla or both.

Chicken is good plain - if not dried out, but marinade helps with the
moisture a little for the white pieces. And I agree with you on the
left-overs - also makes pretty good chicken potpies!

Always willing to learn.

ME TOO!
- Billy
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)- Hide quoted text -

Rachael aka Rae

not rachael ray.........lol

Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 5, 12:21 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:37:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

Hey! Some people around here have high cholesterol. Do you mind? Left
over pork sandwich indeed, humph. I suppose you butter the bread first
and then chase the whole thing down with a chocolate malt. Sheesh. Left
over pork, unglaublich.

Darn it....got ahead of myself on the last post.....meant to add the
appropriate wisecracks in the appropriate places.

Butter? Gimme a break! Drippings from the smoked butt are way more
unhealthy and taste much better.

Honestly though, a properly cooked chunk of hog leg may have less fat
in it than you would suspect.

So how do you mid-westerners smoke things up? Using my plain ol' Weber,
I twist up some hicory chips in some aluminum foil, and add water to
them and just let them sit. Then I fire up the coals in one of those
chimney thingies, put a can of water on the lower grill and, when the
coals are ready, pour them out next to the water, drain the water out of
the wood chips and toss the foil containing the wood chips on to the
coals, put on the meat and close the vents on the lid to about half.
Then I wait as long as I can. When doing ribs, I use real charcoal
because it burns longer.

Weber's are good cookers, I have one, and you can do fine things on
one.

You are on the right track.....needs a little fine tuning, IMO. And I
might add, if you aren't using lump charcoal and using the pressed
briquette things, you really should consider some Royal Oak Lump.

Lots of discussion over yonder 'bout that too and recomendationof
brands.

Seriously, one of the main ingredients in say, Kingsford is anthracite
coal, along with some borax and lime for binding agents and some other
things that I can't remember. There was a recent thread on this,
cames up about once a year, on the afb group

With ribs we will use a marinade/basting sauce but chicken is usually
just fine as is. Left-overs (aka: planed-overs) will either find their
way in to a salad or a tortilla or both.

Always willing to learn.
- Billy

Gardening and smoker cooking and grilling are difinitely compatible
thingie and yo ucan easily do both at once.

Charlie

I have to agree with charlie on the drippings, but don't leave out the
skin!
Like the Royal Oak Lumps too - use them from time to time
myself...........
Rae

Old 05-06-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
raeannsimpson wrote:

So how do you mid-westerners smoke things up? Using my plain ol' Weber,
I twist up some hicory chips in some aluminum foil, and add water to
them and just let them sit. Then I fire up the coals in one of those
chimney thingies, put a can of water on the lower grill and, when the
coals are ready, pour them out next to the water, drain the water out of
the wood chips and toss the foil containing the wood chips on to the
coals, put on the meat and close the vents on the lid to about half.
Then I wait as long as I can. When doing ribs, I use real charcoal
because it burns longer.

I don't know about mid-westerners, but we usually put the chips right
in the grill (no weber, unfortunately). We use hickory, mesquite, or
whatever happens to be on sale.

Dry chips or wet? Don't have wild hickory trees here in California. Buy
the chips dry in little plastic bags. To get them to smoke, instead of
burn, I gotta soak them before use.

With ribs we will use a marinade/basting sauce but chicken is usually
just fine as is. Left-overs (aka: planed-overs) will either find their
way in to a salad or a tortilla or both.

Chicken is good plain - if not dried out, but marinade helps with the
moisture a little for the white pieces. And I agree with you on the
left-overs - also makes pretty good chicken potpies!

With chicken, we usually eat the thighs plain and put the breasts in
salads. Some times I put a sauce on the breasts but not usually. Chicken
breasts can get awfully dry, like trying to swallow sawdust, but that's
where the fruit of the vine comes into the picture or, something like
celery remoulade or, slaw salad.

Always willing to learn.

ME TOO!

Right back atcha.

- Billy
Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article . com,
raeannsimpson wrote:

[...]

I generally use them dry - i guess we do more "burning" here. with the kids
and all - i don't always have the time it takes to smoke the meat. you
never know what will happen from one minute to the next with a 2yr old and a
4 month old! dry chips cook faster to me, but of course, you don't always
get a strong hickory, mesquite, etc., taste to the meat. If i know i'm
gonna have help around (or if the hubby will be in early) and I have time
for it to cook - then i will wet the chips before lighting up the grill, and
smoke the meat. so to me - the preference of the chips (wet or dry) all
depends on my prep time.........

oh yeah, on your earlier post about the aluminum and Alzheimer's, I've read
a little about it - ( i was a nurse before we decided for me to stay home
with the kids). I, myself, still use aluminum. I know that Alzheimer's is
more of a hereditary thing. Unfortunately, it runs in my family. So I
don't really understand how they can think that there is a link there. I
just mark it as something's gonna get you one way or the other. that
doesn't mean that I go about my life more dangerously, mind you. That's
just my take on this matter. Would be interested to know if anyone has a
newer report on this - say something from the last couple of years - I'm
kinda out of the medical loop these days.............other than peds it
seems. (lol)

Rae

Old 05-06-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hey! Some people around here have high cholesterol. Do you mind? Left
over pork sandwich indeed, humph. I suppose you butter the bread first
and then chase the whole thing down with a chocolate malt. Sheesh. Left
over pork, unglaublich.

Honestly though, a properly cooked chunk of hog leg may have less fat
in it than you would suspect.

Saturated fat is a treat for me. I usually save it for sauteeing
(butter) and bone night (Sat. is spare ribs night, the "Hounds from
Hell" insist on it:-) Otherwise, I eat canola oil and turkey this and
turkey that. Use to like sea food but it is getting so polluted, I've
shied-off. It is presently recommended that a person not eat more than 2
fish a month from San Francisco Bay and I think pregnant women are
discouraged from eating it at all. We been using the oceans as septic
tanks for too long.

[...]

Damn it Charlie, why'd you have to go tell me a thing like that? Oh,
bloody hell. Lignite and anthracite? No wonder everybody is switching
ove to gas barbecues. Fecal material. Damn. USED to use it to start and
for chicken. Burned too fast for ribs so, then we use the real deal,
usually mesquite. It seems like all the other briquettes have jet fuel
in them so, I guess I'll have to go to straight charcoal or just buy a
fuel injector.

Thanks buddy. Damn.

With ribs we will use a marinade/basting sauce but chicken is usually
just fine as is. Left-overs (aka: planed-overs) will either find their
way in to a salad or a tortilla or both.

Always willing to learn and, keep your left up.
- Billy

Gardening and smoker cooking and grilling are difinitely compatible
thingies and you can easily do both at once.

Charlie

Damn!

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
good hot sauce recipes? Bpyboy Edible Gardening 2 07-06-2003 09:20 PM
Hot Sauce Insect Repellent? [email protected] Edible Gardening 3 09-03-2003 10:08 AM
Hot Sauce Question Steve Edible Gardening 0 23-02-2003 04:27 AM