Old 21-04-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Large Pot

I have a ceramic pot that looks to be about ten gallons in size and it
doesn't have a drain hole at the bottom. I was thinking of placing rocks
and sand at the bottom for a base and setting a five gallon plastic pot
on top of that and then filling in the rest with potting mix. I was also
considering drilling a hole in the bottom of the pot myself. I presume
that's possible. Has anyone else confronted this type of problem and
have advice to give?
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 21-04-2008, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:46:54 -0700, Billy
wrote:

I have a ceramic pot that looks to be about ten gallons in size and it
doesn't have a drain hole at the bottom. I was thinking of placing rocks
and sand at the bottom for a base and setting a five gallon plastic pot
on top of that and then filling in the rest with potting mix. I was also
considering drilling a hole in the bottom of the pot myself. I presume
that's possible. Has anyone else confronted this type of problem and
have advice to give?

If it is a valuable antique pot don't drill any holes in it. You can
drill a few holes in the bottom using a concrete drill, slow speed,
and water for cooling/lubricant. For a pot that large, get or make a
dolly so it can be moved around.
Old 21-04-2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I have a ceramic pot that looks to be about ten gallons in size and it
doesn't have a drain hole at the bottom. I was thinking of placing rocks
and sand at the bottom for a base and setting a five gallon plastic pot
on top of that and then filling in the rest with potting mix. I was also
considering drilling a hole in the bottom of the pot myself. I presume
that's possible. Has anyone else confronted this type of problem and
have advice to give?

Assuming ceramic is ceramic. Get a ceramic drill bit.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...s&field-keywor
ds=ceramic+drill+bit&x=14&y=2 I've got a 1/4 inch bit.

Tape the area to be drilled with paper masking tape this prevent
skipping about. Drill a few holes for drainage.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NY0-gQ6R-aA

Good luck!

Bill

ps Try it on a junk piece if possible.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 21-04-2008, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

I have a lot of very large pots and containers (20-50 gallon size) and I use
those Styrofoam packing peanuts instead of rubble, rocks, broken pottery,
etc. to fill the bottom. To keep the soil from sifting into the peanuts I
lay down a layer of coffee filters to cover them before covering with soil.
This is very helpful in 'lightening up the load' of big pots. Make sure the
peanuts aren't the biodegradable kind. If they get wet you'll just end up
with a small flattened, soggy, gooey, congealed mess. If in doubt run some
water over a peanut first to test it. Color and shape no longer distinguish
which are which.

Val

Old 21-04-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:46:54 -0700, Billy wrote:

I'll add to what the others suggested about drilling. If the bottom is
concave at all, back it up with a block of wood so that the bottom is
resting solidly where you will drill. Slow and easy and even easier
when it begins to go thru.

Charlie

Thanks for all the advice, I'm off to get a concrete drill, although
Jangchub's suggestion of lotus slowed me down a bit, but I don't think I
have the heat or the sunlight for it.

Thanls again.

Old 21-04-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:

I have a ceramic pot that looks to be about ten gallons in size and it
doesn't have a drain hole at the bottom.

Do not attempt to do this job with a large masonary drill, almost
guaranteed to FIU.

Search tungston carbide grit hole saw.

http://www.holesaws.com.cn/products/...aw/gritsaw.htm

http://www.mytoolstore.com/mkmorse/tcg.html

With pottery use the small pilot hole to cut from both sides.

Old 22-04-2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

Billy wrote:

I have a ceramic pot that looks to be about ten gallons in size and it
doesn't have a drain hole at the bottom.

Do not attempt to do this job with a large masonary drill, almost
guaranteed to FIU.

Search tungston carbide grit hole saw.

http://www.holesaws.com.cn/products/...aw/gritsaw.htm

http://www.mytoolstore.com/mkmorse/tcg.html

With pottery use the small pilot hole to cut from both sides.

Hmmm...
Do not attempt to do this job with a large masonary drill, almost
guaranteed to FIU.

With pottery use the small pilot hole to cut from both sides.

I agree.

You could use rotary dremel drill.
This tool is a favorite of mine. Good for many things.
I never tried ceramic, they have drill bits for ceramic tiles.
All can be found at most hardware stores.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Projects...ages/detail.as
px?pcpid=4

read this before project.

http://www.potters.org/subject47614.htm

Good with your project ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 22-04-2008, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 22, 11:07�am, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

�Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

I have a ceramic pot that looks to be about ten gallons in size and it
doesn't have a drain hole at the bottom.

Do not attempt to do this job with a large masonary drill, almost
guaranteed to FIU.

Search tungston carbide grit hole saw.

http://www.holesaws.com.cn/products/...aw/gritsaw.htm

http://www.mytoolstore.com/mkmorse/tcg.html

With pottery use the small pilot hole to cut from both sides.

Hmmm...

Do not attempt to do this job with a large masonary drill, almost
guaranteed to FIU.
With pottery use the small pilot hole to cut from both sides.

I agree.

You could use rotary dremel drill.

What is it... aren't all drills rotary by default? Your link below
doesn't work, even when I search at the dremel.com web site no rotary
drill comes up.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Projects...ts/Pages/detai...
px?pcpid=4

Old 22-04-2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Apr 22, 11:07?am, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

Sheldon. There is a device called a star drill. Uses a hammer or a
sledge hammer. I used one to punch holes in my basement floor. Also
does concrete blocks.
Not applicable for Billy's job for sure.

Bill

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 22-04-2008, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:07�am, "Dan L."
wrote:
In article
,

�Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

Try:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Projects...l.aspx?pcpid=4
or
http://tinyurl.com/6jo44n (in theory goes to the same place as the
dremel.com link)

Shows how to do pretty much exactly what you're asking about using
Dremel products, with model and part numbers.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 22-04-2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Sheldon wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:07?am, "Dan L."
wrote:
In article
,

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Projects...detail.aspx?pc
pid=4
or
http://tinyurl.com/6jo44n (in theory goes to the same place as the
dremel.com link)

Shows how to do pretty much exactly what you're asking about using
Dremel products, with model and part numbers.

--

Boy you guys are terrible. Just when I thought I had enough stuff you
show me dremel. http://tinyurl.com/6jo44n Got me thinking of making

Thanks !

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 22-04-2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 22, 2:44Â*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:07�am, "Dan L."
wrote:
In article
,

�Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

I have a ceramic pot that looks to be about ten gallons in size
and it doesn't have a drain hole at the bottom.

Do not attempt to do this job with a large masonary drill, almost
guaranteed to FIU.

Search tungston carbide grit hole saw.

http://www.holesaws.com.cn/products/...aw/gritsaw.htm

http://www.mytoolstore.com/mkmorse/tcg.html

With pottery use the small pilot hole to cut from both sides.

Hmmm...

Do not attempt to do this job with a large masonary drill, almost
guaranteed to FIU.
With pottery use the small pilot hole to cut from both sides.

I agree.

You could use rotary dremel drill.

What is it... aren't all drills rotary by default? Â*Your link below
doesn't work, even when I search at the dremel.com web site no
rotary
drill comes up.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Projects...ts/Pages/detai...
px?pcpid=4

Try:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Projects...ts/Pages/detai...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/6jo44n(in theory goes to the same place as the
dremel.com link)

Shows how to do pretty much exactly what you're asking about using
Dremel products, with model and part numbers.

Neither URL works... goes to an Error page.
Old 22-04-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 22, 1:08�pm, Bill wrote:
In article
,

�Sheldon wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:07?am, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

I know what a star drill is, I've used them, all sizes... still they
are rotated after each hit... that's why they are called a star drill
rather than a star chisel (although I've seen them listed as star
chisels too).

There are many ways one can make a large hole in pottery but I think
the type of hole saw I indicated works best (pretty much idiot proof),
that's what's used by various trades people for making holes in
various hard brittle glass-like materials. If one is skillful and
very experienced with machine tools a trepanning tool will work too.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-14171429.html
Old 22-04-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Apr 22, 2:44Â*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:07?am, "Dan L."
wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

I shall try again, those pesky links

http://www.potters.org/subject47614.htm

I think Dremel must be using a PC for their web site.
Our simple little garden forum must have brought it down.

Try there previous page, maybe someday it will come up.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Projects...s/default.aspx

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 22-04-2008, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Apr 22, 2:44Â*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:07?am, "Dan L."
wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

This should give one an idea what the little drill looks like.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...Id=129663-353-
400-3/55&lpage=none

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-3956-02...ssories/dp/B00
006JSPB/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1208897875&sr=1-9

I own the older dremel model, I have heard the newer XPR does not hold
up as well. also the rotozip drill is nice also, my brother the
carpenter has this one.

http://www.rotozip.com/learn/ProductVideos.html

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.