Old 26-06-2013, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigation setup?

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 05:06:19 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:50:41 -0700, Oren wrote:

use an 8 port manifold

I had not even thought of that, but it has the advantage that
the drip lines would all radiate from the same point, so the
water flow should be even, right?

Yes you can adjust the drip head or adjust the flow at the manifold.

I have large tress )Palm and African Sumac) and Foxtail grass.

Sample:

http://www.gregsindigenouslandscapes.com.au/images/Pennisetum%20setaceum.jpg
Old 26-06-2013, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:06:18 -0700, Oren wrote:

For a lawn irrigation system, PVC is to rigid for
a drip line system.

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/40000464/images/10112w_600.jpg

Ah. Thanks. I had never seen those before.
My water is somewhat hard (I think it's 14 ppm Calcium.)
Certainly the coffee pot gets that white film in just a week (removed with vinegar).

Old 26-06-2013, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:21:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

I use Open Office (free) Compatible with MS Office documents and
others.

Not really. But that's for another group to discuss
alt.comp.freeware

Old 26-06-2013, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:55:21 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:06:18 -0700, Oren wrote:

For a lawn irrigation system, PVC is to rigid for
a drip line system.

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/40000464/images/10112w_600.jpg

Ah. Thanks. I had never seen those before.
My water is somewhat hard (I think it's 14 ppm Calcium.)
Certainly the coffee pot gets that white film in just a week (removed with vinegar).

Mister systems are used in the desert. Homes and restaurants with
patio dining areas.

Sample:

http://mastermisters.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/042706_09172.jpg
Old 26-06-2013, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:45:53 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl
wrote:

if something gets tore up, I just cut that part of the tubing out,
and insert a new piece of tubing using the right connectors.

Well, this 3/4" and 1/4" irrigation plastic is all torn up (I'm not
sure why):

So, I'd like to start fresh (especially as it's easier to build than
to repair), particularly since I have never worked with the stuff
before.

Every spring when I turn on the watering system again, I go through to see
what needs to be replaced, and what is still working well. I guess after
setting this up originally, I'm just so used to repairing something that
wears out I just do it automatically.

One thing about that tubing is that it tends to wear out at the point that
you have a dripper or plug, so I've figured out that I just have to cut off
about a 1/2 inch where it was connected by worn out and re-attach the
original dripper.

btw, that turbing looks like it was damaged by a shovel. I'd probably just
cut out the damaged section and connect the 2 pcs with a straight pronged
connector if doing that wouldn't make it so the sprinkler on the other end
too short.

Good luck on your new set-up!

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 26-06-2013, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:18:43 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

I suggest you stop buying stuff and sit down and plan what
you want to do and then buy what you need.

This sounds reasonable.

Part of the problem is that the wife took over my kitchen-compost
spot, so now, she "owns" this garden (and she has forbidden me to
enter
it because she feels I end up ruining everything I touch).

At the moment, I've flooded her tomatoes, and, I've tried to save
all the tiny 6-inch oaks which, in the end, infuriated her because
that meant I ended up digging up more of her young tomatoes.

I've never done "drip" irrigation, so, I'm not sure what's the
*right* way to irrigate her tomatoes (and present it as a surprise
to her, all done and working).

I *think* my options a
a. Garden hose soaker
b. Poly irrigation
c. A sprinkler pop-up head

For tomatoes I've always liked using these sprinklers because they are
adjustable:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1001389...368321&cj=true

or

http://tinyurl.com/p7nnrcr

It's attached to a 1/4 inch water tubing that is fed via the 1/2 inch main
line tubing. The heads on it turn to allow more or less water to drip or
sprinkle. I use one per bit planter, or 1 between 2 tomato plants.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 26-06-2013, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:18:43 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

The fact that it needed to be stepped down twice
says to me either the underground pipe is much wider than required
or you have 1/2" poly coming out instead of 3/4", or both.

I *think* I have 3/4" PVC feeding the poly:

What would you suggest I connect to this elbow?

I was *thinking* of cutting off the elbow, and connecting a "T",
and then from the T, screwing on *two* garden hose male threads
(I figure if one is good, two must be better).

PS: I'm partial to garden hose connections because I can remove
them easily when I get my kitchen-scrap compost location back
in the winter.

If I were you I'd connect a fitting that had a shut off valve there, and
then connect your tubing to the shut-off valve.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 26-06-2013, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:30:26 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I'd connect a fitting that had a shut off valve

Ah, a shut-off valve makes a lot of sense!

I'll stop by the hardware store and buy a couple (one for each nursery).

Do you think I can just pull out the green water restrictor
with pliers and shove the slip-fit shutoff valve onto the existing
white pipe coming out of the elbow?

Old 26-06-2013, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 17:31:55 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Do you think I can just pull out the green water restrictor
with pliers and shove the slip-fit shutoff valve onto the existing
white pipe coming out of the elbow?

I highly doubt that you can. Remember how hard you pulled to remove
the poly from the insert? The insert is already a reduced size so not
likely you will find a ball valve in that size.

I'd cut off the elbow (save as much pipe as possible).

Then you will need:

- new 3/4 elbow

- PVC ball valve (like on your pool pump)

- a new insert for the poly

- small section of pipe (elbow to ball valve)

Repeat on the other line in the other garden section.

Unless I missed something...

Old 26-06-2013, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

I'd connect a fitting that had a shut off valve

Ah, a shut-off valve makes a lot of sense!

I'll stop by the hardware store and buy a couple (one for each
nursery).

Do you think I can just pull out the green water restrictor
with pliers and shove the slip-fit shutoff valve onto the existing
white pipe coming out of the elbow?

I'm not sure .. you might have luck getting that green pc out if the glue
wants to let go, then again, you might end up breaking the elbow fitting
it's attached to, which would create a bigger headache to fix.

If it were me, I would just insert a new section of 1/2 inch tubing
(http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...23e7ab_300.jpg)
into the existing green fitting there .. maybe a foot or so long, and buy
fittings where I could attach a shut off valve (here is one kind:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...8d7e8e_300.jpg /
here is another:
http://www.dripirrigation.com/system...png?1331253321)
to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that attaches
directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your choice so that you can
Y off in another direction, use T fittings at that point and add 1/2"
tubing in another direction, and go from there.

So it would look like this ... the elbow green fitting1/2" tubing (about
a foot long)shut off valve longer pc of 1/2" tubing on the other side of
the shut off valve. This pc of tubing acts as a main water line so you want
it long so you can lay it around where your garden is, then you can run 1/4"
dripper tubing from your main line. You can use the shut off valve as a
pressure regulator, too, by simply not turning it on all the way which will
reduce how much water goes through your drippers, plus you can use
adjustable sprinklers to water just at ground level, or bigger sprinklers to
get larger areas. On my front yard set-up I even have a BIG sprinkler
attached to the system that waters my entire front grass, while the flower
bed sprinklers just water their rerspective plants, only.

Sorry for being so wordy .. just hope it helps.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 26-06-2013, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/26/2013 11:29 AM, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:
Danny D. wrote:
[...]

Hey, you could kill vampires with one of those and wash the ashes away
at the same time. ^_^

TDD
Old 26-06-2013, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Danny D. wrote:
[...]

.... and fertilize your tomatoes with the same ashes, too!

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 26-06-2013, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:08:03 -0500, "Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl"
wrote:

http://www.dripirrigation.com/system...png?1331253321)
to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that attaches
directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your choice so that you can
Y off in another direction, use T fittings at that point and add 1/2"
tubing in another direction, and go from there.

Nice. First time I've seen this type of 1/2" poly valve.

(I need to get out more :-)
Old 26-06-2013, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

http://www.dripirrigation.com/system...png?1331253321)
to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that attaches
directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your choice so that
you can Y off in another direction, use T fittings at that point
and add 1/2" tubing in another direction, and go from there.

Nice. First time I've seen this type of 1/2" poly valve.

(I need to get out more :-)

haaha well .. you can do just about anything you want to do with these drip
irrigation parts.

hey, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it! :-)

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 26-06-2013, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

http://www.dripirrigation.com/system...png?1331253321)
to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that attaches
directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your choice so that
you can Y off in another direction, use T fittings at that point
and add 1/2" tubing in another direction, and go from there.

Nice. First time I've seen this type of 1/2" poly valve.

(I need to get out more :-)

haaha well .. you can do just about anything you want to do with these drip
irrigation parts.

hey, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it! :-)

I'll retract my prior advice to Danny. Your part is far better and
simpler. Does the same thing so he can shut of the line

[IMG] code is On

Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM