Old 28-06-2013, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigationsetup?

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:02:16 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

If you're starting over, just leave it buried and start it all
new from the source.

Hi Natural, smoking-gun, girl,

I'm was pretty sure the 3/4" and 1/2" drip tubes along the entire
300 feet or so of oleander bushes used to be tied to the irrigation
system - and I do see a 3/4" hose going into the ground at an
irrigation box:

To follow through on your suggestion, I took a look by turning the
irrigation valve on, and this started spurting out of the tube end:

There were only a few leaks, some of which look chewed, others holed:

But, the drip attachment thing seemed to be working fine nonetheless:

The problem is this 20 (or so) foot length couldn't possibly feed
the entire length of the oleander bushes:

So I rooted about and found a 3/4" and a 1/2" broken tube under the
oleander canopy, so I put a garden hose connection onto each of those:

An audible waterfall-like hiss came out of the larger tubing, so,
I was able to ascertain it was badly mauled only about 15 feet from
where the garden hose fed it:

But, nothing came out of the smaller hose, that I could find:

QUESTION:
Do you think animals chewed up these tubes?
(Are they susceptible to animals chewing on them?)

Old 28-06-2013, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:46:44 -0700, Oren wrote:

If the lines are shallow pull the poly up by hand. It will take you
where you need to follow. Provided they are only a few inches deep.

I had done that, a while ago, and this is what had resulted:

But, by digging perpendicular to the bushes, I was able to uncover
two lines, one big and one small, which only had one open chewed
up end. So I put a garden hose connection on them:

It's a LOT of work to replace them, so, I am beginning to think
I will connect the bigger one to the irrigation valve which seems
to be feeding the missing end:

For that, I'll need to patch a few holes in the existing tube
already connected to the irrigation line:

So, how does this sound for the 'easiest' plan of action:

a) Take the existing 3/4" tubing which is already tied to the sprinkler
system and connect it to the 3/4" tubing that is under the oleander
canopy.

b) One by one, patch the leaks, starting at the first, and moving
onward as they show themselves.

c) Then, figure out why there is a 1/2" tubing, which must have connected
somehow to the irrigation system; but I don't know how yet.

Old 28-06-2013, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:53:42 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I just cut that line off and ran new line that I could get to.

That may be the simplest answer, but, I still need to tie (somehow)
to the irrigation valves.

BTW, my tubes look like they were chewed on by an animal.

Do they hold up to animal teeth?

We have lots of coyote, quail, bunnies, deer, bobcats, squirrels, mice, etc.

Old 28-06-2013, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:05:47 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

and you have to use compression pieces to join the patches, and they're
more expensive than running new line if you have lots of leaks.

Interesting.

I have to fix about 300 feet of tubing, one of which is 3/4" and the
other, which seems to be parallel to it, is 1/2" (God knows why).

Given that all the pressure is lost at the first holes, I was thinking
of temporarily taping up the holes, one by one, so that I could get an
assessment as to how many holes there were.

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13426714.jpg

Do you think electrical tape will stick long enough to run a test of
the entire line (it might take a couple of days to test the whole line).

NOTE: Substitute "img" where it says "640" for a larger image.

Old 28-06-2013, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:29:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

Lesson learned. With fast set cement, insert the pipe into the
fitting, give it a quarter turn twist and hold for ~ 10-15 seconds.

It's amazing how the glue lubricates it so that the pipe fits on
perfectly, and, yet it wants to pop back out - so I agree with holding
it for a quarter minute or so.

Slow set cement; it is easy for the them to fail.

Yeah, but we need *that* stuff for fixing holes with just two
couplings and a center-pipe!

Or ... you use it in the four 90s method (which seems like overkill):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdYTg3oDKfU

Old 28-06-2013, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/27/2013 7:26 PM, Danny D. wrote:
[...]

Those leaks look like where 1/4" tubing might have been connected at one
time and broke off. If it were "me", I'd just cut out the bad section
and insert a repair pc... I'm lazy.. I don't want to replace the entire
thing if I don't have to. If the hole is a circle, you might could just
plug it with hole plugs you can buy, too.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 28-06-2013, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/27/2013 7:43 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:53:42 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I just cut that line off and ran new line that I could get to.

That may be the simplest answer, but, I still need to tie (somehow)
to the irrigation valves.

BTW, my tubes look like they were chewed on by an animal.

Do they hold up to animal teeth?

We have lots of coyote, quail, bunnies, deer, bobcats, squirrels, mice, etc.

I'm not really sure about that issue... I haven't had anything like that
happen with my set up yet.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 28-06-2013, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/27/2013 7:47 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:05:47 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

and you have to use compression pieces to join the patches, and they're
more expensive than running new line if you have lots of leaks.

Interesting.

I have to fix about 300 feet of tubing, one of which is 3/4" and the
other, which seems to be parallel to it, is 1/2" (God knows why).

Given that all the pressure is lost at the first holes, I was thinking
of temporarily taping up the holes, one by one, so that I could get an
assessment as to how many holes there were.

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13426714.jpg

Do you think electrical tape will stick long enough to run a test of
the entire line (it might take a couple of days to test the whole line).

NOTE: Substitute "img" where it says "640" for a larger image.

funny you should ask that.. I've tried it before .. it didn't really
work very well and it always leaked, so then I had to mess with ripping
off wet tape.. I tried electrical and duct tape. The water pressure is
just too strong, I think.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 28-06-2013, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:18:37 -0700, Oren wrote:

Pool pump pipes and rooftop solar panel PVC pipes are painted, as
Danny mentioned.

As Oren said, any and all white PVC that is sticking out of ground is
typically painted (usually black, but only because it absorbs
heat and is a cheap paint).

For example, here is my pool equipment; only the newly repaired
pipe is not yet painted black:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13335710.jpg

As Oren said, you're supposed to use acrylic (or latex) based paints;
but, in my case, I couldn't find any in the house, and, when I asked
pool guys, they said the petroleum is only there while it's wet, and
that they use whatever is on the truck, so, *maybe* it doesn't really
matter:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13393308.jpg

Note: For a larger size picture, substitute "img" for "640".

Old 28-06-2013, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:36:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

Pull on the poly (like pulling on a tree root out). It will lead you
to the connection point or valve box.

Well, this was the theory, but, about 30 feet from the valve box,
I ran into a chewed up poly that had no counterpart nearby.

So, I'm pretty sure it's there ... but I have to go mining to find it.

I feel like an archaeologist lately.

Old 28-06-2013, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:08:14 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I'd just cut out the bad section
and insert a repair pc

OK. That's what I'll do. I've never really worked with this type of
tubing before. I will try to tape the ends together, but, I have about
80psi water pressure, so electrical tape might not hold.

Seems to me the simplest repair is to cut out the bad spots and insert
a piece of pipe nipple of the right size & a splotch of the right glue.

Old 28-06-2013, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:13:23 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I had to mess with ripping off wet tape

I'll try it, and report back...
Old 28-06-2013, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/27/2013 9:41 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:08:14 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I'd just cut out the bad section
and insert a repair pc

OK. That's what I'll do. I've never really worked with this type of
tubing before. I will try to tape the ends together, but, I have about
80psi water pressure, so electrical tape might not hold.

Seems to me the simplest repair is to cut out the bad spots and insert
a piece of pipe nipple of the right size & a splotch of the right glue.

I haven't tried it exactly like that before. What I did was buy the
plastic straight connectors and use those.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...86c498_300.jpg

Here is a page of different ones:
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ga...searchNav=true

There are straight ones, T and L fittings, too, for the different size
tubing.
--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 28-06-2013, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/27/2013 9:43 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:13:23 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I had to mess with ripping off wet tape

I'll try it, and report back...

This is kind of fun.. I'm rooting for you! haha

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 28-06-2013, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:14:10 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

This is kind of fun.. I'm rooting for you! haha

Well, the first tape worked, sort of...
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13427252.jpg

Then, near nightfall, I wrapped it with electrical tape,
which again, worked sort of ...
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13427253.jpg

In both cases, the tape worked, but the water squeezed out at
the edges of where the tape was.

I think, if I used more (or better sticking) tape, it might
have sealed solid. As it is, I can see that I might get away
with a combination of plastic wrap and tape, on a dry hose,
so I'll need daylight to continue.

Interestingly, even with the leaks, I could hear a gurgling
sound deep in the bushes 300 feet from where I had taped, so,
I think this is the only major leak!

[IMG] code is On

Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM