Old 25-06-2013, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigationsetup?

This drip irrigation setup for a tomato garden is all chewed up:

So I figured I'd replace it with something better. But what?

One end is merely bent over and nailed to these boards:

And, the other end has this cryptic glued? connection:

I've never worked on drip irrigation before, so I picked up
all sorts of 3/4" connections at the box stores:

At Home Depot, the guy told me that it's normal for the drip lines
to simply push in, but this end seems to be really really stuck.

Another elbow nearby has a NPT-to-Hose fitting on the end:

Would you suggest I simply cut the elbow off and start fresh
by putting a garden-hose connection on a T fitting?

Note: The plants are tomatoes, which are just now sprouting,
so it has to be a gentle irrigation. I think a soaker hose may
be too heavy - but I'm not sure what my options are.

Old 25-06-2013, 09:18 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Danny D. wrote:
This drip irrigation setup for a tomato garden is all chewed up:

So I figured I'd replace it with something better. But what?

One end is merely bent over and nailed to these boards:

And, the other end has this cryptic glued? connection:

I've never worked on drip irrigation before, so I picked up
all sorts of 3/4" connections at the box stores:

At Home Depot, the guy told me that it's normal for the drip lines
to simply push in, but this end seems to be really really stuck.

Another elbow nearby has a NPT-to-Hose fitting on the end:

Would you suggest I simply cut the elbow off and start fresh
by putting a garden-hose connection on a T fitting?

Note: The plants are tomatoes, which are just now sprouting,
so it has to be a gentle irrigation. I think a soaker hose may
be too heavy - but I'm not sure what my options are.

I am assuming that you only have a modest garden and you are on domestic
water mains.

The normal way of doing polypipe small scale irrigation is to have one
fitting connecting the black poly to either a standard garden hose or an
outside hose cock. From there everything is done in poly with push (bayonet
fittings) unless larger than 25mm (1") when you use fittings with a nut.
You run to your garden bed in 3/4" (19mm) or 1/2" (12mm) depending on the
length of run and flow required. Generally you would run this down one side
of the bed or both if it is wide. You then push either sprayers or
drippers into that line.

The thin tubes (about 1/4", 6mm) you have are risers to allow the main line
to be buried underground or under mulch, they are not really nesessary
otherwise but can off course be used to take a dripper or sprayer away from
the main pipe if you like. If using sprayers on the end of risers you can
have a problem with keeping the jet at the right direction because the riser
will bend and move all over the place unless fixed to a solid object. If
you push your jets straight into the pipe you don't have that issue because
it is more rigid. Drippers waste less water than sprayers but you need more
of them as they don't have much spread. Especially in sandy soil the water
from drippers goes down not outwards. It is usual to have a filter at the
start of the system to reduce the incidence of blocked jets.

Some specifics about your setup:

- It is usual to terminate an end by folding it over and fastening it
somehow (eg with wire), fancy fittings are not required, don't worry.

- With no scale I cannot tell for sure if you have 1/2" or 3/4", did you
measure it?

- The junction between the white supply line and black poly is unusual,
where the white tube first steps down it has been glued (the blue stuff is
glue) I cannot tell about where the black goes into the green tube, if you
cannot twist it at all or if you see a blue line round it then it has
probably been glued too. The fact that it needed to be stepped down twice
says to me either the underground pipe is much wider than required or you
have 1/2" poly coming out instead of 3/4", or both.

- You seem to have this white tube buried in a number of places, is it all
connected? To what? I don't know the retail prices where you are but here
that kind of tube and the fittings for it are much more expensive than black
poly and its fittings. I would be heading in the direction of doing most of
what you need above ground in black poly. Except for garden forks and lawn
mowers it is quite durable. I suspect you will not need very many of the
box of fittings. Maybe you can get a refund.

- Sprayers or drippers will both be gentle enough for seedlings.

I cannot advise on the best refurbishment as I don't know how big your
garden is or where the white supply line runs in relation to it. I suggest
you stop buying stuff and sit down and plan what you want to do and then buy
what you need. The manufacturers and vendors of black poly and fittings
often have info and plans on the web. Here is one from a TV garden show:

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fac...rrigation/2194

David

Old 25-06-2013, 09:39 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

"Danny D." wrote in message
news
This drip irrigation setup for a tomato garden is all chewed up:

So I figured I'd replace it with something better. But what?

One end is merely bent over and nailed to these boards:

And, the other end has this cryptic glued? connection:

I've never worked on drip irrigation before, so I picked up
all sorts of 3/4" connections at the box stores:

At Home Depot, the guy told me that it's normal for the drip lines
to simply push in, but this end seems to be really really stuck.

Another elbow nearby has a NPT-to-Hose fitting on the end:

Would you suggest I simply cut the elbow off and start fresh
by putting a garden-hose connection on a T fitting?

Note: The plants are tomatoes, which are just now sprouting,
so it has to be a gentle irrigation. I think a soaker hose may
be too heavy - but I'm not sure what my options are.

To add to David's already comprehensive post, here is another online
tutorial about polypipe irrigation;
http://www.irrigationdirect.com/tuto...-advice/id/12?

Old 25-06-2013, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/25/2013 1:55 AM, Danny D. wrote:
This drip irrigation setup for a tomato garden is all chewed up:

So I figured I'd replace it with something better. But what?

One end is merely bent over and nailed to these boards:

And, the other end has this cryptic glued? connection:

I've never worked on drip irrigation before, so I picked up
all sorts of 3/4" connections at the box stores:

At Home Depot, the guy told me that it's normal for the drip lines
to simply push in, but this end seems to be really really stuck.

Another elbow nearby has a NPT-to-Hose fitting on the end:

Would you suggest I simply cut the elbow off and start fresh
by putting a garden-hose connection on a T fitting?

Note: The plants are tomatoes, which are just now sprouting,
so it has to be a gentle irrigation. I think a soaker hose may
be too heavy - but I'm not sure what my options are.

Was it chewed up by critters or just been shredded by rough treatment
and exposure to the elements? o_O

TDD
Old 25-06-2013, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 06:55:00 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

This drip irrigation setup for a tomato garden is all chewed up:

So I figured I'd replace it with something better. But what?

One end is merely bent over and nailed to these boards:

They make a figure "8" plastic piece to use on the end. Poly does in
one hole, bent and passed back through the top loop. This is great
for draining a line to prevent freezing.

http://www.sprinklertalk.com/Sprinkler_School/images/img_crimp_hose.jpg

And, the other end has this cryptic glued? connection:

That is an insert for the 3/4 PVC. The poly is pushed in. It can be
pulled out, but can be a little difficult. Twist and pull. Twist and
pull. (remember those straw Chinese finger locks as a kid - you put
fingers in each end and would not pull out :-)

A compression fitting. There is a bevel sleeve (?) inside that grabs
the poly - compression insert

http://www.gardendrip.org/images/access_images/12MalePVC700PolyTubingInsert.jpg

Compression elbow, compression coupling, compression Tee

http://www.dripking.com/views/images/uploads/_9fdc64c5.jpg

http://www.dripirrigation.com/system/partphotos/492/tdsphoto/LF002L.jpg?1291332194

http://www.irrigationdirect.com/media/oldImages/Drip-Compression-Tee-620-Tubing-T620-Installed-for-Rain-Drip.jpg

I've never worked on drip irrigation before, so I picked up
all sorts of 3/4" connections at the box stores:

At Home Depot, the guy told me that it's normal for the drip lines
to simply push in, but this end seems to be really really stuck.

You have to pull and twist to get the poly out of the insert. A little
hard to do, but the poly will come.

Old 25-06-2013, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I use that same 1/2 & 1/4 tubing drip irrigation for my garden and flower
beds. Maybe I'm just too simple at it, but if something gets tore up, I
just cut that part of the tubing out, and insert a new piece of tubing using
the right connectors.
I have a lot of my garden in big planters and even some hanging planters,
and all of them have 1/4 inch dripper lines going to each planter that has
an adjustable sprinkler head. It's all connected to a timer and everything
gets watered automatically.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 25-06-2013, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:45:53 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

if something gets tore up, I just cut that part of the tubing out,
and insert a new piece of tubing using the right connectors.

Well, this 3/4" and 1/4" irrigation plastic is all torn up (I'm not sure why):

So, I'd like to start fresh (especially as it's easier to build than
to repair), particularly since I have never worked with the stuff
before.

Old 25-06-2013, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

They make a figure "8" plastic piece to use on the end. Poly does in
one hole, bent and passed back through the top loop. This is great
for draining a line to prevent freezing.

Hi Oren,
Thank you very much for that drawing as I see that whomever it was who
originally set up the tubing actually made what appears to be a crude
version of a "poor man's figure 8" endloop using electrical tape:

Old 25-06-2013, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

That is an insert for the 3/4 PVC. The poly is pushed in. It can be
pulled out, but can be a little difficult. Twist and pull. Twist and
pull.

You weren't kidding it was hard to pull out (the Chinese finger lock
description is apropos). I had to pull hard, with pliers:

Of course, I forgot to think ahead; so, um .... I now have a brand
new 80psi leak in my plumbing!

Old 25-06-2013, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

You have to pull and twist to get the poly out of the insert. A little
hard to do, but the poly will come.

Hi Oren,
Can I shove it back in?

At least temporarily?

To stop the leak?

Or is it a one-time-only compression fitting?

Old 25-06-2013, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 05:32:56 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Was it chewed up by critters or just been shredded by rough treatment
and exposure to the elements?

I'm not sure what chewed it up.

The whole thing predates me. I've been using it to create compost
from kitchen scraps, until my wife got the bright idea of actually
using the resulting mulch to grow tomatoes.

The funny thing was, no water came out of the thing (it only dripped
a bit at the early connections) so I had figured it wasn't working.

How wrong I was!

Old 25-06-2013, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:18:43 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

I am assuming that you only have a modest garden and you
are on domestic water mains.

The garden doesn't even qualify as modest.

It's about 10 feet long, by about 4 feet wide.

And, it's connected to well water, at a pressure of about
80 psi.

Even the tomato plants don't qualify as modest (yet):

Old 25-06-2013, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

"Danny D." wrote in message news
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

You have to pull and twist to get the poly out of the insert. A little
hard to do, but the poly will come.

Hi Oren,
Can I shove it back in?

At least temporarily?

To stop the leak?

Or is it a one-time-only compression fitting?

interruption
Hi Danny, thanks for posting the great photos! Are you taking the photos and sending from your phone?
/interruption

Old 25-06-2013, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:22:20 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

You have to pull and twist to get the poly out of the insert. A little
hard to do, but the poly will come.

Hi Oren,
Can I shove it back in?

At least temporarily?

To stop the leak?

Or is it a one-time-only compression fitting?

I've reused the insert fittings. It will need new poly pipe or it
will most likely leak.
Old 25-06-2013, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/25/2013 5:26 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 05:32:56 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Was it chewed up by critters or just been shredded by rough treatment
and exposure to the elements?

I'm not sure what chewed it up.

The whole thing predates me. I've been using it to create compost
from kitchen scraps, until my wife got the bright idea of actually
using the resulting mulch to grow tomatoes.

The funny thing was, no water came out of the thing (it only dripped
a bit at the early connections) so I had figured it wasn't working.

How wrong I was!

I wonder if it could have been damage done by a drain bamaged individual
wielding a wild weed eater or a lawless lawnmower? ^_^

TDD

[IMG] code is On

Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM