Old 27-06-2013, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigationsetup?

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 04:15:16 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

On a.h.r, we researched what destroys the PVS, and if you paint them,
the UV light doesn't bother them, and there's not much else that will.

More information on PVC which is supposed to last 100 years...

UniBell FAQ on Studies of PVC Pipe Performance Over Time:
http://www.plasticengineeredproducts...nibell/faq.htm

The Effects of Sunlight Exposure on PVC Pipe:
http://www.nacopvc.com/c/technical-i...re-on-pvc-pipe

Painting of PVC Piping for Ultraviolet Protection:
http://www.lascofittings.com/support...gPVCPiping.asp

How to Use Acrylic or Latex Paint on PVC:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/use-acr...pvc-25511.html

Old 27-06-2013, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 05:13:52 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I have others popping out of the ground scattered about
the yard that I was wondering what they do.

These tubes are popping up out of the ground near a buried sprinkler
box. I'm sure they go to the sprinkler system, but I haven't
dug it all up yet to figure out what's not working.

Old 27-06-2013, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:53:26 -0700, Oren wrote:

As I previously stated, I've never seen one of these poly compression
fittings fail in normal use.

I have a lot of that poly stuff and none of them are working.

I'm pretty sure they're busted and old, and in some cases the
sprinkler system isn't working.

Personally, I think the stuff is too fragile - but I don't have
any experience other than I do have a garden hose hooked to the
one feeding the Oleanders and the water only goes about 100 feet
or so, because the tubing is so badly cut up.

Anyway, maybe I shouldn't deprecate it so much, but I just think
it's too flimsy for my world. Of course, it would be a LOT more
work for me to bury pvc for a few hundred feet of the Oleanders,
so, I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the
poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.

Old 27-06-2013, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 04:26:21 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the
poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.

Do not try to patch pieces in. You'd be doing it forever. Wasting
money and time. When it starts getting leaks, in multiple areas, from
cracks and punctures -- replace the run. Save the drip heads and
barbed fittings. They can be used again.

Get a 100' or 500' (?) rolls and replace *long* runs.

Just sayin'
Old 27-06-2013, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the
poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.

Do not try to patch pieces in. You'd be doing it forever. Wasting
money and time. When it starts getting leaks, in multiple areas, from
cracks and punctures -- replace the run. Save the drip heads and
barbed fittings. They can be used again.

Get a 100' or 500' (?) rolls and replace *long* runs.

Just sayin'

That sounds like a good plan! I'm too lazy when it's hot and will patch
everything unless it just won't work! LOL

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:35:13 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Get a 100' or 500' (?) rolls and replace *long* runs.

I'm too lazy when it's hot and will patch
everything unless it just won't work!

I don't like patching mainly because I won't understand how
it's set up.

Of course, I don't like digging up buried lines either ... so
that's why I have this 300' long run that hasn't been fixed yet.

Old 27-06-2013, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

That sounds like a good plan! I'm too lazy when it's hot and will patch
everything unless it just won't work! LOL

I developed an allergy to work. I break out in hives

Hot with plenty of sunshine for this week's forecast.

Today 108°F
Fr 114°F
Sat 115°F
Sun 117°F
Mon 116°F
Tue 116°F
Wed 109°F

(Mojave Desert)
Old 27-06-2013, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the
poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.

Do not try to patch pieces in. You'd be doing it forever. Wasting
money and time. When it starts getting leaks, in multiple areas, from
cracks and punctures -- replace the run. Save the drip heads and
barbed fittings. They can be used again.

Get a 100' or 500' (?) rolls and replace *long* runs.

Just sayin'

and you have to use compression pieces to join the patches, and they're
more expensive than running new line if you have lots of leaks.
Old 27-06-2013, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

Get a 100' or 500' (?) rolls and replace *long* runs.

I'm too lazy when it's hot and will patch
everything unless it just won't work!

I don't like patching mainly because I won't understand how
it's set up.

Of course, I don't like digging up buried lines either ... so
that's why I have this 300' long run that hasn't been fixed yet.

If you're starting over, just leave it buried and start it all new from the
source.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 04:15:16 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 18:31:16 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

those glued pvc sections come apart after being exposed to the weather
elements day after day.

Hmmm... they're not supposed to.

I've had one fail. Fixing 3/4" PVC the end cap blew off. I can only
guess that ~500 gallons of water flooded the back yard that night. It
was still dirt from construction before lawn turf was installed. It
took a couple weeks for the mud hole to dry out.

Lesson learned. With fast set cement, insert the pipe into the
fitting, give it a quarter turn twist and hold for ~ 10-15 seconds.

Works for me and no more fitting failures.

Slow set cement; it is easy for the them to fail.

Old 27-06-2013, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 04:20:17 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

These tubes are popping up out of the ground near a buried sprinkler
box. I'm sure they go to the sprinkler system, but I haven't
dug it all up yet to figure out what's not working.

In the desert here the 1/2" poly is ~ 4 inches under ground. Other
regions may be deeper.

Pull on the poly (like pulling on a tree root out). It will lead you
to the connection point or valve box.

YMMV
Old 27-06-2013, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:02:16 -0500, "Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl"
wrote:

Of course, I don't like digging up buried lines either ... so
that's why I have this 300' long run that hasn't been fixed yet.

If you're starting over, just leave it buried and start it all new from the
source.

If the lines are shallow pull the poly up by hand. It will take you
where you need to follow. Provided they are only a few inches deep.
Old 27-06-2013, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

those glued pvc sections come apart after being exposed to the
weather elements day after day.

Hmmm... they're not supposed to.

On a.h.r, we researched what destroys the PVS, and if you paint them,
the UV light doesn't bother them, and there's not much else that will.

Of course, earthquakes and trucks driving on the lawn would break
them - as do lawn mowers and weed whackers, but they are supposed to
last longer that we will.

Still, it's a good idea to paint them. Here's a shot of my recently
repaired pool equipment, for example, where I haven't painted the
new sections I put on last month to fix the leaks.

hmmm paint the pvc pipe where it's connected or all of it? I've never
heard of that before.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

Of course, I don't like digging up buried lines either ... so
that's why I have this 300' long run that hasn't been fixed yet.

If you're starting over, just leave it buried and start it all new
from the source.

If the lines are shallow pull the poly up by hand. It will take you
where you need to follow. Provided they are only a few inches deep.

I've never deliberately buried any of my tubing because every fall the
leaves get used as mulch which eventually composts. I'm no expert at this
by far, either. Just learned to do it based on what I needed at the time
and what I could find to make it work.
I know there is one old dripper hose that got buried from mulch and roots
that I couldn't pull out if I paid the hulk to do it. LOL
I just cut that line off and ran new line that I could get to. I guess
that's a females solution, but I don't have the strength to pull and tug at
those things very well. They get the best of me.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:48:17 -0500, "Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl"

hmmm paint the pvc pipe where it's connected or all of it? I've never
heard of that before.

Pool pump pipes and rooftop solar panel PVC pipes are painted, as
Danny mentioned.

Prevents UV damage in the desert. Water based latex paint.

If it isn't painted here, it gets buried.

[IMG] code is On

Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM