Old 28-06-2013, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigationsetup?

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:13:41 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Here is a page of different ones:

Thanks for that pointer. I'll head on over to Home Depot and pick up
a few as I think all I need to do is repair this one major leak,
plus tie the tubing to the sprinkler, and, then, it should work.

I'll let you know how it goes - but it's too dark to do anything
tonight. (Had to work on the pool for hours - but that's another
story altogether.)

Old 28-06-2013, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:26:00 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

QUESTION:
Do you think animals chewed up these tubes?
(Are they susceptible to animals chewing on them?)

Does the leak on the right look like it may have had a drip line in it
and perhaps came out (round hole) or is it a crack (parallel with the
poly)?

( I would rule out animals )
Old 28-06-2013, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:08:14 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl
wrote:

If the hole is a circle, you might could just
plug it with hole plugs you can buy, too.

+1
Old 28-06-2013, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:36:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

I have large tress )Palm and African Sumac) and Foxtail grass.

Is this foxtail grass sprouting up all over my lawn?

Old 28-06-2013, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:37:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

Does the leak on the right look like it may have had a drip line in it
and perhaps came out (round hole) or is it a crack (parallel with the
poly)?

Some are round holes, and others are cracks, yet others have multiple
puncture wounds, so, I'd say the line has been abused by rakes, high
water pressure (80psi) and animals.

One thing I noticed in the videos was that many people put a 30 psi
or even lower pressure regulator on their drip tubes.

Since my well system puts out 80psi, I should probably invest in one
of those - do you think?

Old 28-06-2013, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:15:17 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Is this foxtail grass sprouting up all over my lawn?

Can't really tell. Your's kind of reminds of "sea oats", but they
only grow on coastal beach sand dunes. Best I know.

This is what I call foxtail.

http://www.koalanativeplants.com.au/.merchant/2056/images/pennAAAAA.jpg
Old 28-06-2013, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:14:10 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl
wrote:

This is kind of fun.. I'm rooting for you! haha

Well, the first tape worked, sort of...
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13427252.jpg

Then, near nightfall, I wrapped it with electrical tape,
which again, worked sort of ...
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13427253.jpg

In both cases, the tape worked, but the water squeezed out at
the edges of where the tape was.

yeah .. and if you aren't worried about it leaking like that you could just
leave it! ... after all the purpose of it is to leak/drip water at the root
area to water the plants anyway ... LOL

I think, if I used more (or better sticking) tape, it might
have sealed solid. As it is, I can see that I might get away
with a combination of plastic wrap and tape, on a dry hose,
so I'll need daylight to continue.

I'd be interested if you find something that doesn't leak.

Interestingly, even with the leaks, I could hear a gurgling
sound deep in the bushes 300 feet from where I had taped, so,
I think this is the only major leak!

cool!

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 28-06-2013, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

Here is a page of different ones:

Thanks for that pointer. I'll head on over to Home Depot and pick up
a few as I think all I need to do is repair this one major leak,
plus tie the tubing to the sprinkler, and, then, it should work.

smile buy extras! you'll eventually need them along with various
fittings that you don't really need now. I always buy extras so I won't have
to go back. Problem is, I never seen to buy the ones I actually NEED later
on! LOL

I'll let you know how it goes - but it's too dark to do anything
tonight. (Had to work on the pool for hours - but that's another
story altogether.)

Once upon a time we had a 27 foot above ground round pool. They do make for
interesting stories. I wish we still had it because it's been so hot here.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 28-06-2013, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/27/2013 5:43 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:53:42 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I just cut that line off and ran new line that I could get to.

That may be the simplest answer, but, I still need to tie (somehow)
to the irrigation valves.

BTW, my tubes look like they were chewed on by an animal.

Do they hold up to animal teeth?

We have lots of coyote, quail, bunnies, deer, bobcats, squirrels, mice, etc.

no. i get javelina, deer, and packrat holes in mine frequently. i'm not
sure, but i think rabbits get to mine also, although i haven't caught
them at it.
Old 28-06-2013, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:40:09 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

It's a LOT of work to replace them, so, I am beginning to think
I will connect the bigger one to the irrigation valve which seems
to be feeding the missing end:

Is the poly connected to the valve directly or is it 3/4" PVC past the
box and then poly connected to the PVC?

I forget how mine is connected in the box, without looking.

Old 28-06-2013, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:59:43 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:29:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

Lesson learned. With fast set cement, insert the pipe into the
fitting, give it a quarter turn twist and hold for ~ 10-15 seconds.

It's amazing how the glue lubricates it so that the pipe fits on
perfectly, and, yet it wants to pop back out - so I agree with holding
it for a quarter minute or so.

Slow set cement; it is easy for the them to fail.

Yeah, but we need *that* stuff for fixing holes with just two
couplings and a center-pipe!

Or ... you use it in the four 90s method (which seems like overkill):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdYTg3oDKfU

Clever. I'd say not overkill in a tight place, as he made that point.

In a shallow trench this could be on the side; instead of on the top.

Note he also used the 1/4" shorter notion as Trader explained for an
inline repair and the photo you posted with couplings showing
Trader's thread.
Old 28-06-2013, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:17:39 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

One thing I noticed in the videos was that many people put a 30 psi
or even lower pressure regulator on their drip tubes.

Since my well system puts out 80psi, I should probably invest in one
of those - do you think?

Your call. Is the pump only for the irrigation lines?
Old 28-06-2013, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

One thing I noticed in the videos was that many people put a 30 psi
or even lower pressure regulator on their drip tubes.

Since my well system puts out 80psi, I should probably invest in one
of those - do you think?

Your call. Is the pump only for the irrigation lines?

if the pressure is too low, the loss due to using 1/2" poly for such a
long length may be too high to get much pressure at the end.
Old 29-06-2013, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:26:43 -0700, Oren wrote:

Is the poly connected to the valve directly or is it 3/4" PVC past the
box and then poly connected to the PVC?

Well, I don't really know.

All I know, working backward, is that for "most" of the 300 foot
run, there is a 1/2" and a 5/8" poly pipe feeding the oleander:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13435747.jpg

Every once in a while, you can see them both on the surface:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13435692.jpg

As those two poly tubes get within 30 or 40 feet of the irrigation
valves, they suddenly pop up out of ground (I had put the garden
hose connections on):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13435751.jpg

I didn't dig up the irrigation valve, so, I have no idea how it's
hooked up, but, the 5/8" poly tubing which was broken at this point,
appears to continue along the oleander until it gets near the irrigation
valve. A foot away from the valve, it dives down, presumably to the
valve (which works, and sends water through the broken tubing):
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13435760.jpg

Note: I dug around for a half hour looking for where the 1/2" poly
tubing connects to the irrigation system - and finally gave up on that
endeavor. Also, I can't tell if there is a pressure regulator on the
valve itself, as it might be buried, for all I know.

I guess I should pick up a pressure tester for garden equipment, to
be sure.

Old 29-06-2013, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:59:34 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I'd be interested if you find something that doesn't leak.

I *think* these are three possible solutions:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13435769.jpg

a) Sticky tape (this is expensive $2/foot silicone tape that supposedly
only sticks to itself)

b) 39ΒΆ plastic barbs (Ace didn't have any in the 5/8" size though)

c) $2 press-fit connectors

Note: Swap out "img" for "640" for a larger photo.

[IMG] code is On

Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM