Old 15-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Wylie Wilde

Default mosquito deterrent plants

Hello,

I live in a small low rise apartment block in a tropical climate. Its an
average of 28 degrees all year round.

I've been put in charge of the apartment garden which is fairly substantial
for this area- total of 5000 sq feet. I got the job after I strenously
objected to someone's proposal to cut down all the trees and plants to get
rid of the mosquito problem. Ya, got quite a lot of mossies here.

I walked around the garden. We don't have pool or ponds or catchement areas
which collect water for them to breed - but they do pretty well in the
heavily planted areas.

What are some good plants to put into a tropical garden to deter mosquitos?
Would garlic, chilli or orchid plants work? Please advice.

--
Regards,
Wilde

___________________________

Old 15-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:56:49 +0800, Wylie Wilde wrote:

Hello,

I live in a small low rise apartment block in a tropical climate. Its an
average of 28 degrees all year round.

I've been put in charge of the apartment garden which is fairly
substantial for this area- total of 5000 sq feet. I got the job after I
strenously objected to someone's proposal to cut down all the trees and
plants to get rid of the mosquito problem. Ya, got quite a lot of mossies
here.

I walked around the garden. We don't have pool or ponds or catchement
areas which collect water for them to breed - but they do pretty well in
the heavily planted areas.

What are some good plants to put into a tropical garden to deter
mosquitos? Would garlic, chilli or orchid plants work? Please advice.

It's very unlikely that there are plants that effectivly deter mosquitoes.
If there were such plants, they would be everywhere you live 8). As far as
'bug zappers' go, they're rather ineffective at mosquito controll. Bug
zapper kill way more beneficial insects than not.

As far as everyone hacking down the trees and plants, it seems that
mosquios are great little fliers. Those little buggers will travel to find
the food (you). I'd suggest that you start you control search with your
local authorities. There's got to be some local resource for you
somewhere. Nurseries, goverment agency, university extention offices..ect.
Good luck to you.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 15-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Doug Kanter

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
[...]

Timothy said enough about what plants won't do. So, how about finding
someone local who knows if any of your local birds like mosquitoes, *and* if
there are certain plants they like for the seeds, or whatever. And, bats
sometimes help, but again, you need specifics about the kind (if any) in
your neighborhood.

Old 15-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Cereus-validus...

Isn't the concept of "mosquito deterrent plants" a bit of a myth? Mosquitoes
(females that suck blood, that is) are attracted to carbon dioxide and body
heat rather than particular odors given off by plants. The male mosquitoes
pollinate flowers and do not suck blood.

BTW, mosquitoes breed in water not in trees. If you want to get rid of the
beasties, you need to get rid of any standing water. Maybe it would be a
better idea to get rid of all the swimming pools in the neighborhood not
just your immediate area? A better solution would be to rid the area of
unwanted people and their pets!!!!!

Old 15-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Stephen Henning

"Wylie Wilde" wrote:

What are some good plants to put into a tropical garden to deter mosquitos?

I was in Singapore recently visiting gardens and since orchids do so
well for you, I would guess you have a very moist climate. The first
step is to avoid standing water:

Change water in birdbaths, and pet watering dishes every 48 hours. Stock
ornamental pools with predacious fish. Never leave water in sprinkling
cans or buckets for more than 48 hours. Check garden statuary for places
water may collect. Add holes for drainage or empty regularly. Don't
let water set for more than two days in flower pots or rain gutters.
Fill tree holes with sand or mortar, or develop drain holes so water
cannot accumulate.

Using mosquito-repelling plants, such as the citrosa plant and garlic,
and electronic bug zappers are not known to significantly reduce
mosquito numbers. The plants' anti-bug oils only protect their leaves.
The lemon scented geraniums they're selling do repel skeeters - but not
just sitting in a pot. You have to pick some leaves, crush them up and
rub them on your skin. This works with any lemony-fragrance herb.
University researchers found lemon thyme to be the best: it repels
mosquitoes almost as well as commercial repellants, but only if you
extract the oil from the plant and apply the oil to your skin.

Providing a hospitable habitat for mosquito predators makes the most
sense.* Bats can eat 600 mosquitoes per hour, a large dragonfly can eat
100 in one feeding foray, and toads are also big mosquito consumers.* So
perhaps some bat and toad houses would be a good addition.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 16-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:47:03 -0800, Timothy
wrote:

It's very unlikely that there are plants that effectivly deter mosquitoes.

Good land man, why answer! If you must answer and don't know try
starting with, "I don't know of any...."

BIRC Reprints
from the IPM Practitioner and Common Sense Pest Control Quarterly
(Each reprint is $6 + $1.50 Mailing and Handling)

Horticulture and Garden Protection

Botanical mosquito repellents. Common Sense Pest Control Quarterly
12(4):12-19.
http://www.birc.org/pubrep.htm

Old 16-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Wylie Wilde

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message newsighash-

Using mosquito-repelling plants, such as the citrosa plant and garlic,
and electronic bug zappers are not known to significantly reduce
mosquito numbers. The plants' anti-bug oils only protect their leaves.

Thank you all for your help and comments.

For starters, I would like to mention that the authorities do from time to
time - "fog" the place with some form of insecticide.

However, this area does have some amazing butterflies and bird life. I saw a
magnifcient very large golden yellow butterfly fly by the other day. And as
such I would like to not use insecticides.

The problem with some of the tropical plants - is that they do collect water
in their hollows and leaves. And the mossies take refuge in those areas.

I have also seen bats fly around my area, but haven't seen any dragonflies.

Neither do we have any ponds or swimming pools around the immediate area.

I do remember in the past, that the old gardener, once a week, would pile up
the old leaves, wet them, and set them on fire near the mossie breeding
grounds- creating a smokey haze. the smoke apparently deterred the mossies.
Its eco-friendly - but rather "smoky".

Cheers!!

Old 16-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Bonnie Jean

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message

I have also seen bats fly around my area, but haven't seen any dragonflies.
___________

If you've seen bats in the area, then I definitely would put up a bat house.
Read up on placement, ways to attrack them, etc. It may take a while for
them to find and settle into the house but it could be the answer for you.

Bonnie

Old 16-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

Hello,

I live in a small low rise apartment block in a tropical climate. Its an
average of 28 degrees all year round.

I've been put in charge of the apartment garden which is fairly substantial
for this area- total of 5000 sq feet. I got the job after I strenously
objected to someone's proposal to cut down all the trees and plants to get
rid of the mosquito problem. Ya, got quite a lot of mossies here.

I walked around the garden. We don't have pool or ponds or catchement areas
which collect water for them to breed - but they do pretty well in the
heavily planted areas.

What are some good plants to put into a tropical garden to deter mosquitos?
Would garlic, chilli or orchid plants work? Please advice.

Maybe, but I've read studies that show plants have little or no
effect. I know there is a "mosquito plant" but I question its
effectiveness. Mosquitoes like dense shrubs, moisture, and blood!
Without water the mosquitoes will be gone. Be sure to check gutters,
flower pot saucers, old tires, tree hollows, birdbath, wading pools,
anything that contains stagnant water. Using plants that quickly draw
up water from the soil such as eucalyptus, can help for boggy soil
conditions. Sassafras and sweet basil are said to ward off
mosquitoes, but I grew lots of basil in my garden and still get
bitten. I know that having a pond with fish encourages mosquitoes to
lay their eggs, the fish eat the larvae, and the end result is fewer
mosquitoes. Just a small barrel water garden with two goldfish will
work. The most effective way not to get bitten is the use of DEET.
Old 16-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Iris Cohen

Around here, when the authorities spray the swamps to deter mosquito borne
diseases, they use a larvicide. That way they can pinpoint the mosquitoes
without hurting beneficial insects. See if you can get hold of a mosquito
larvicide to spray the trees & other spots in the area that may contain
standing water. I gather Singapore is an extremely tight-run neatnik place.
Maybe you can enlist the government's help with some aerial spraying. I doubt
if you have the only apartment house in the region with a mosquito problem.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen
Old 16-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Stephen Henning

"Wylie Wilde" wrote:

I have also seen bats fly around my area

You may want to do a search on www.google.com for "Bat Houses". They
are a way of attracting more bats to your area. I did a search for

"Bat Houses" Singapore

and got 925 hits.

A search for

"Bat Houses" Singapore mosquitoes

got 284 hits.

Old 16-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Salty Thumb

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in
:

Hello,

I live in a small low rise apartment block in a tropical climate. Its
an average of 28 degrees all year round.

I've been put in charge of the apartment garden which is fairly
substantial for this area- total of 5000 sq feet. I got the job after
I strenously objected to someone's proposal to cut down all the trees
and plants to get rid of the mosquito problem. Ya, got quite a lot of
mossies here.

I walked around the garden. We don't have pool or ponds or catchement
areas which collect water for them to breed - but they do pretty well
in the heavily planted areas.

What are some good plants to put into a tropical garden to deter
mosquitos? Would garlic, chilli or orchid plants work? Please advice.

Try lemon grass. i would have some more data points except mine died of
drowning twice.
Old 18-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Joe

Maybe it would be a
better idea to get rid of all the swimming pools in the neighborhood not
just your immediate area? A better solution would be to rid the area of
unwanted people and their pets!!!!!

Maybe all the psycopaths like you should be put away