Old 10-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Ray

Default More arrests....

Mariana,

They didn't care because you were bringing them from within the US - hence,
were not "importing" them. Had you been coming in from another country, or
even TO Hawaii from elsewhere in the US, it would have been a vastly
different situation.

Vendor or personal import has little to do with it. In fact, an importation
coming to a vendor might get less inspection, as it is often thought
(rightly or wrongly) that resellers are smart enough to order from a really
clean exporter.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
. net...
I'm no orchid vendor, just a small time orchid grower, so I don't really
know which entry points in the USA are tighter on plant inspection. I can
however tell you that when I brought my orchids from Hawai'i to the
mainland, and informed the authorities (both when leaving Hawai'i as well

as
when I got to NY) that I am bringing orchids with me, they didn't even

want
to look in the boxes, in fact, they asked for no paperwork at all. Now, I
didn't bring anything that "shouldn't" be in my collection, but I found

it
very odd that they could care less about what was inside of the boxes....

Mariana

"House of Paisley" wrote in message
True or untrue, there is something about this story that doesn't
add up to me. I gave George the benefit of the doubt after
the last incident, but am finding it harder to do so now. If I
were in his position I would have wanted my shipments to go
through the most stringent import station and specifically
requested my imports be thoroughly inspected to avert further
attention. Sure it would take longer, but there are other vendors
where it takes months to get through the inspection process. I
do have to say in his defense that I specifically check each plant
I buy from any vendor to make sure it isn't a cites problem
and none that I considered buying from his lists seemed to
be restricted, but I don't check every plant on his lists, and
don't buy Paphs. So take from that what you will.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"David Fouchey" wrote in message

I was working under the assunmption the charges are likely true. If
not then I hope he is exonerated. BUT when it comes to fols who ARE
guilty of wholesale rampaging through wild stock I have no pity or use
for them.

MY Humble opinion of course.

And Ray I agreee with you on Dubya but this is not the proper forum
for that discussion! G

Dave

Old 10-03-2004, 05:01 PM
House of Paisley

I completely respect yours and Rays frustration. Certainly
things can always be improved, and I am not an apologist for
the government. Having said that, it is hard to realistically
see how the system can be vastly improved. Export countries
seem to change their rules whenever they want, there is a
bazillion plants of every kind coming into the country.
Constant genus changes. Cripes, I cant even call my phone
company and get the same answer twice. To me, generally
I can't really even find a consistent online source for genus
information. Half the time when I consider buying a plant
from an importer like George I have to look through pages
and pages just to find a small line on the 34th link to see
that it has had a genus change, or is also known under a
couple of different names and have to plug them all in to
find out what the heck it is. Sadly I think the problem will
only get worse with more and more types of plants being
found and cross-shipped to everywhere on earth.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
. ..
The difference is not only in their handling of plants -- as to which my
experience is similar to Ray's -- but in their understanding of the actual
laws and regulations.

I once made the mistake of calling to find out if I needed CITES docs to
ship to a US possession [Guam]; the person I spoke to insisted that I did,
and faxed me the regs upon which he was relying -- which stated, as

clearly
as gov't docs get, on the very first page, that I did not. Although the
sale that I lost as a result would have been a nice one, it wasn't big
enough to "fight city hall" over. [And although it wouldn't have mattered
under the language of the regs, the orchids in question were not species,

or
even primary hybrids, so there was literally ZERO possibility that they
could have been wild-collected.]
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Ray" wrote in message
Crystal,

My only concern related to the "stringency" with which the inspection
stations work has to do with their experience with orchids. I can tell

you
from personal experience that some know what they're doing better than
others.

In some cases, clusters of pseudobulbs were torn apart before the
formerly-specimen-plants got to me, while in others, they look like they
took a course from me on orchid handling and packing.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 10-03-2004, 11:11 PM
GrlIntrpted

Oh I am well aware that CITES regulations apply in situations where plants
are being brought from other countries. However,
I still feel that they should have inspected the contents of the boxes,
after all it is possible to bring in plants that are on the CITES list from
other states. Furthermore, it would be wise to at least put the plants
through inspection simply to determine that they are pest free.

Mariana

Old 11-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Larry Dighera

Here's the latest news:

HOWDY BUCKAROOS,

AFTER MUCH SILENCE, I GUESS I OWE ALL OF YOU SOME KIND OF EXPLANATION
OR AT LEAST, OUR SIDE OF THIS STORY.

BEAR IN MIND THAT MY EMAILS ARE STILL BEING READ AND MY PHONE PROBABLY
TAPPED AND OUR ATTORNEYS HAVE ADVISED THAT WE SHOULD NOT COMMENT ON
THIS PROBLEM UNTIL IT IS RESOLVED. HERE THEN IS THE CURRENT SITUATION
AS WE KNOW IT.

LAST TUESDAY WHEN MANUEL ARIAS CAME TO MIAMI FOR THE ORCHID SHOW, HE
WAS DETAINED BY THE IMMIGRATION AUTHORITIES ON A WARRANT FROM US FISH
AND WILDLIFE. HE WAS SENT DIRECTLY TO THE FEDERAL DETENTION FACILITY
IN MIAMI AND NOT ALLOWED EVEN A PHONE CALL. WE HAD TO SPEND 2 DAYS
PHONING EVERYONE THERE TO LOCATE HIM AND THEN WE WERE NOT PERMITTED TO
SEE OR SPEAK TO HIM. THE FIRST TIME WE WERE ABLE TO SEE HIM WAS AT HIS
BOND HEARING.

NOW THIS IS A MAN WHO WILL BE 70 YEARS OLD IN MAY, DIABETIC, WITH
HEART TROUBLES, FRAIL AND CURRENTLY HAVING SERIOUS TROUBLES WITH
ARTHRITIS IN HIS SHOULDERS TO WHERE HE CAN NOT LIFT EITHER ARM. HE WAS
PUT IN SHACKLES, FED JAIL FOOD WHICH HE COULD NOT EAT, SLEPT ON A COT
AND TREATED VERY POORLY. WE WERE ABLE TO POST A BOND TO HAVE HIM
RELEASED TO OUR CUSTODY AND BROUGHT HIM BACK TO TEXAS TO AWAIT HIS
NEXT HEARING. HIS BOND TO OUR CUSTODY INVOLES FORFITURE OF MY HOME,
CARS, BOATS, DOGS AND FIRST BORN. I HAVE LET MY DAUGHTER KNOW AND SHE
IS NOT HAPPY. I AM IN A WORLD OF SH--!!!!

IT APPEARS I TOO WILL BE SHORTLY INDICTED. REPORTS IN THE MIAMI
NEWSPAPER ARE GREATLY EXAGGERATED AND APPEAR TO BE LEAKED BY THE FWS.
IT LOOKS LIKE WE WILL BOTH BE CHARGED WITH BASICALLY CONSPIRACY TO
EXPORT AND IMPORT ORCHIDS ON APPENDIX I WITHOUT THE PROPER DOCUMENTS.
THE FACT IS THAT THE APPENDIX I PLANTS ARE ALL ARTIFICIALLY PROPAGATED
AND THEREFORE THE APPENDIX I REGULATIONS DO NOT APPLY.

IT LOOKS LIKE THE SOURCE OF ALL THIS IS ONE OF MY OWN CUSTOMERS WHO
TURNED ME IN AND THEN PARTICIPATED IN A GOVERNMENT STING TO GET ME.
THIS IS THEIR STAR WITNESS AND WE WILL BE GETTING THIS PERSON'S NAME
AND LET EVERYONE KNOW WHO IT IS. I CAN'T BELIEVE ONE OF MY OWN
CUSTOMERS WOULD DO THIS TO ME......Y'ALL HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SO GOOD TO
ME AND SO LOYAL. THAT HURTS MORE THAN ANYTHING. HOWEVER IT MAY PALE IN
COMPARISON TO JAIL TIME.

WE HAVE BOTH SPENT IN EXCESS OF $25,000 IN ATTORNEY FEES NOT TO
MENTION MANY OTHER EXPENSES. ATTORNEYS FEEL THAT OUR BEST COURSE IS TO
ACCEPT A PLEA TO SOME CHARGE THAT ALLOW US A MINIMUM OF JAIL TIME AND
FINES. WHILE I AM A FIGHTER, THIS LOOKS LIKE A MORE REASONABLE COURSE
OF ACTION. THE FEDS HAVE UNLIMITED RESOURCES AND IT IS VIRTUALLY
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIGHT THEM. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GET OUT WITH
SOMETHING LESS THAN A FELONY AS IT WOULD TAKE ALL MY RIGHTS AS A
CITIZEN AWAY.

IT LOOKS LIKE THE NEXT THING TO BE ADDED TO THE APPENDIX I WILL BE
ORCHID VENDORS PROBABLY FOLLOWED BY ORCHID COLLECTORS. THIS NEEDS TO
BE STOPPED BUT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ME THAT WILL DO IT. IT LOOKS LIKE I
AM NOW "ROAD KILL", JUST A DARK SPOT ON THE ROAD AFTER THE FEDERAL
STEAMROLLER HAS PASSED BY. THIS MAY BREAK ME FINANCIALLY AND WE MIGHT
HAVE TO JUST FOLD OUR ORCHID TENT AND DISAPPEAR INTO THE SUNSET. BUT
IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED.

SO AT THIS TIME I AWAIT A WARRENT BEING ISSUED FOR ME AND MY ATTORNEY
WILL SURRENDER ME TO FEDERAL AUTHORITIES WHERE I CAN POST A POST,
PROBABLY IN EXCESS OF THAT LEVIED AGAIN A COLOMBIAN DRUG DEALER.....I
AM A REAL THREAT TO THE EXISTANCE OF THIS COUNTRY.

THEY ARE TRYING TO OFFER ME A BETTER DEAL IF I WILL SQUEAL ON THE
REALLY BAD GUYS THAT THEY CAN'T SEEM TO FIND. LIKE THIS IS GONNA
HAPPEN. I CAN JUST HOPE THEY HAVE ORANGE JUMPSUITS IN MY SIZE......I
AM GUESSING THEY WON'T HAVE KING-SIZE BEDS AT "CLUB FED".

ANY OF YOU WHO CAN WRITE IN SPANISH MIGHT CONSIDER SENDING MESSAGES OF
SUPPORT TO MANUEL HERE IN MY HOME . HE IS DEPRESSED
ABOUT ALL THIS AND CERTAINLY OVERWHELMED BY HAVING TO GO THROUGH THIS
IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE AND FOREIGN COURT SYSTEM. HE IS A MARVELOUS
GENTLEMAN AND LETTERS OF SUPPORT HE CAN READ HAVE RAISED HIS SPIRITS
WHEN WE HAVE RECEIVED THEM. PLEASE TAKE JUST A MINUTE AND WRITE HIM IF
YOU CAN.

THIS IS IT FOR NOW,

GOOD GROWING, THE OLD ORCHID FELON

Old 11-03-2004, 08:38 PM
House of Paisley

I guess again, I don't get it. I assume Paphs are the problem, but
is the rule that an artificially propagated plant doesn't require
any documentation, or difference documentation? Isn't it also the
case that if he plea-bargains, he wont get to know the identity of
the person. Not that it really matters, but if I were him, I would
want to know. Also, I'm not naive enough to think that some
innocent people go to jail, but would it be so hard to prove the
way the plants were propagated? I mean... isn't there a paper
trail or something, and if there isn't, wouldn't this be a really
risky way to do business?

Crystal

Old 11-03-2004, 08:42 PM
wendy7

I wasn't going to get involved with this but can someone explain this
Appendix I & what George refers to?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 11-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Ray

Here's my take: Appendix I plants are considered truly endangered, and
cannot be traded internationally among CITES signatory nations whatsoever.
A cross between two Appendix I siblings, being artificially propagated, is
supposed to be treated as an Appendix II plant (at-risk, but not in
immediate danger of extinction in the wild), meaning that it may be traded,
as long as all of the appropriate documentation is in place.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"wendy7" writes:
I wasn't going to get involved with this but can someone explain this
Appendix I & what George refers to?

Appendix I of the CITES agreement lists tigers, rhino horns, elephant
tusks and so on and so forth as things that you may not trade. These
things are truly endangered. A couple of orchids are mentioned here.

Appendix II lists species that are easily mistaken for Appendix I
species, or that may be endangered in the near future. This appendix
lists most orchids, if I am not very much mistaken.

Geir
Old 12-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Ray

The current document from www.cites.org states the following:

"Appendix I lists species that are the most endangered among CITES-listed
animals and plants (see Article II, paragraph 1 of the Convention). These
are threatened with extinction and CITES generally prohibits commercial
international trade in specimens of these species. However trade may be
allowed under exceptional circumstances, e.g. for scientific research. In
these cases, trade may be authorized by the granting of both an export
permit (or re-export certificate) and an import permit. (See Article III of
the Convention)
Appendix II lists species that are not necessarily now threatened with
extinction but that may become so unless trade is closely controlled. It
also includes so-called "look-alike species", i.e. species of which the
specimens in trade look like those of species listed for conservation
reasons (see Article II, paragraph 2 of the Convention). International trade
in specimens of Appendix-II species may be authorized by the granting an
export permit or re-export certificate; no import permit is necessary.
Permits or certificates should only be granted if the relevant authorities
are satisfied that certain conditions are met, above all that trade will not
be detrimental to the survival of the species in the wild. (See Article IV
of the Convention)"

The following orchids are in Appendix I:

Aerangis ellisii
Cattleya trianaei
Dendrobium cruentum
Laelia jongheana
Laelia lobata
Paphiopedilum spp. [all paphs]
Peristeria elata
Phragmipedium spp. [all phrags]
Renanthera imschootiana
Vanda coerulea

All others are Appendix II.

There are a couple of associated comments:

"(For all of the following Appendix-I species, seedling or tissue cultures
obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile
containers are not subject to the provisions of the Convention) " is just
above the Appendix I list, and as a footnote to the Appendix II comment is:

"Artificially propagated specimens of hybrids within the genus Phalaenopsis
are not subject to the provisions of the Convention when: 1) specimens are
traded in shipments consisting of individual containers (i.e. cartons,
boxes, or crates) containing 100 or more plants each; 2) all plants within a
container are of the same hybrid, with no mixing of different hybrids within
a container; 3) plants within a container can be readily recognized as
artificially propagated specimens by exhibiting a high degree of uniformity
in size and stage of growth, cleanliness, intact root systems, and general
absence of damage or injury that could be attributable to plants originating
in the wild; 4) plants do not exhibit characteristics of wild origin, such
as damage by insects or other animals, fungi or algae adhering to leaves, or
mechanical damage to roots, leaves, or other parts resulting from
collection; and 5) shipments are accompanied by documentation, such as an
invoice, which clearly states the number of plants and is signed by the
shipper. Plants not clearly qualifying for the exemption must be accompanied
by appropriate CITES documents."

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Diana Kulaga

I have strong opinions on the thoughts and accusations in this thread, so
I'm sorely tempted to get into this, but..........nah. Not worth the loss
of camaradarie.

Diana

Old 15-03-2004, 06:04 PM
theoneflasehaddock

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message .net...
I'm no orchid vendor, just a small time orchid grower, so I don't really
know which entry points in the USA are tighter on plant inspection. I can
however tell you that when I brought my orchids from Hawai'i to the
mainland, and informed the authorities (both when leaving Hawai'i as well as
when I got to NY) that I am bringing orchids with me, they didn't even want
to look in the boxes, in fact, they asked for no paperwork at all. Now, I
didn't bring anything that "shouldn't" be in my collection, but I found it
very odd that they could care less about what was inside of the boxes....

CITES deals with international trade, and Hawaii is part of the US.
You can send plants to and from Hawaii just like any other state.
-
theoneflasehaddock